29 and worried

I found a lump a couple of weeks ago and have my breast clinic appointment on Monday, I am terrified when I attended th doctors she said we shall refer you to breast clinic I mean its probably just a bit of prominent breast tissue but we will refer you anyways, I got bloods done at same time as I thought my anemia was back and have been told my white blood count is down…there is no reason why this would be down!!
she asked if any of my family had ever had breast issues and when I said my gran had had breast cancer she looked very sympathetic
my appointment at breast clinic is less than 2 weeks after initial doctors appointment so I feel it’s been sped up due to bloods, I’m trying not to let people see I am oetrified and any friends I know who have had a lump are all saying it will just be a cyst! Its under my nipple where milk ducts lie. I am so scared about going to hosp to sit for 2hrs on examinations and mammograms and possible biopsy. didn’t know where else to write ask thought someone here would know how I was feeling and no matter how many people tell you it’s fine it will be nothing it doesn’t matter you can stop the what ifs and the worry

Hello Lillou29

Welcome to the forums, I’m sure you’ll get lots of support from our experienced users who I’m sure will be along to support you soon.

We also have a helpline who are there to offer emotional support as well as practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes

June, moderator

Hi Lillou 29,
You came to the right place. We’ve all been where you are. It’s 18 months since I found my lump and I was 31 at the time. First of all, try not to read anything into the speed with which you got your appointment. That’s quite normal from what I know. In my case the GP was pretty certain it was nothing to worry about, but yet I had my initial appointment 6 days after I went to see her. I think it’s about 90% of lumps turn out to be non-suspicious so the odds really are stacked in your favour.
The tests, biopsies etc aren’t fun and not what anyone would choose to be having done, but just try to keep in mind that it’ll all be worth it for good news to put your mind at rest, which is hopefully what they’ll bring. Keeping everything crossed for you.
Take care & please let us know how you go on. x

The waiting room is a horrible place to be. This is what we call the period between finding something and the actual diagnosis (good news or bad news)
There is nothing I can say to you that will make this time any easier other than to say that this time will pass. Eventually you will find out what it is. If it’s bad news then they will have a plan - and you just follow the plan. If it’s good news then I hope you remember to come back here and tell us!
Mine was bad news - stage 3a invasive lobular, that was May 2011 - I followed the plan and am still here and plan to be here for a long long time.
My best friend got refered to the breast clinic last week - she found a painful lump - got her appointment within 6 days and she was so worried about the speed of the referal. She got the all clear - and I sincerely hope that you do too. But remember that we will all be here for you if the news isn’t quite as good.

Thanks so much guys, when I see myself in this position I am reminded by how wonderful people are who have actually been diagnosed with BC, I think I’m reading too much in to the blood count being low aswell and freaking myself out keep trying to tell myself that it will be fine and can’t be anything bad as I’ve 2 kids relying on me xxx

You are a similar age to my daughter - and I would hate for her to be going through something like this. Your blood count is probably down because your body is fighting an infection of some kind. Try not to panic about what it might be. Trust in the team that will deal with the results. 8 out of 9 refered cases are sent away with a smile on their faces! And if - and only if you are the 1 in 9 then you are in very good company here! We are all warrior women and we fight!

It’s inspirational to read peoples story’s it’s really is x my friends all keep telling me I will be fine and being the natural stresser I am it makes no difference, thank you both for letting me talk my way though it on this forum I shall update on Monday xxxx

Hi
I just wanted to say that I know how you are feeling but on the actual date of my breast clinic appointment I felt quite calm. I went in with the attitude “that it is what it is” and that I was in the right place. I will get my results on Tuesday. I found everything (including the local anaesthetics and subsequent biopsies) more pleasant than going to the dentist and would not be worried if i had to go through it all again! Obviously this may not be the case for everyone but most cases are not BC and it won’t be long before you have a clearer idea. There can be quite a lot of waiting around on the actual day so be prepared for that.
Hope that all goes well for you on Monday x

Well wasn’t in waiting room for long before being seen by a lovely doctor and advised its just fibrous tissue totally normally and nothing to worry about buy to keep checking my breasts once a month, thanks very much for listening to me ladies I wish you all the best with treatments etc xxxxxxxx

Great news - I hope to receive good news tomorrow when I go to collect my results but, if not, I know that I am in good company here. So many inspirational men and women on here x

Defo is x some inner strength they have x

That’s fantastic Lillou29 :smiley: I’m so pleased for you. I was thinking of you.
And I’ll be thinking of you, SunnyS, tomorrow. Keeping everything firmly crossed. Lots of luck. x