2nd Recurrence following mastectomy

Back again !!!

I was 1st diagnosed with BC at 33 yrs old after finding a small lump. Turned out to be 3 tumours. On 14/2/2003 I had a mastectomy, cells found in lymph nodes, tramflap reconstruction, chemo, radiotherapy, and tamoxifen.

In 2014 I found a tiny lump in my breast reconstruction which we all thought was going to be scare tissue but nope the BC was back. Thankfully it was tiny and was dealt with via a WLE and being put on Tamoxifen.

I have had a few issues since the WLE and at my last check up I was a little more descriptive and probably a little more forcefull too. Thank heavens I was as on 29th December 2017 I was given the shock news my BC is back. The 3 biopsies all show cancer. I genuinely thought it was scar tissue or a medical clip which was causing a reaction. This time it’s just to the left of my reconstruction. Now I have to have bone, CT and MRI scans. Just hope it can be dealt with by another WLE.

I am actually quite calm but scared at the same time. Just keep thinking how many more times will this happen? Just goes to show how important it is to check your boobies. Even after a reconstruction

Hi MissGreen, so sorry you’ve found yourself back again.

I must admit I am shocked that you have had these recurrences after a mastectomy as the whole point of that surgery is that they remove all the breast tissue.

As you say it really is a reminder of how important it is to check ourselves regularly. My reconstruction has lots of hard little lumps which like you I have assumed are scar tissue.

Why is it that some of us have all the treatment, which my doctors said was belt and braces, and still it manages to take hold again.

Really hope they can treat this swiftly for you x

Thank you riversidedawn.

I agree once I had the belt and braces approach to treating BC this is last thing I expected. It’s only when I read up on it that I realised it can happen but not seen anywhere that says it keeps doing it ! Oh well it’s stiff upper lip and deep breath time for the next few weeks.  (Well I can try at my best but I know there will be tears). Fingers crossed ? it will be resolved quickly with limited treatment. ?

Thanks blueash. I will have a read ?

So back at the hospital for results of my scans.

They have found an enlarged lymph node in my chest and something on my right lung. Think its called Metastatic. All too small to biopsy though.

BC consultant doesn’t want to cut away the 3 little tumours I found in the reconstruction and leave the the other anomalies. Being referred to the Oncologist for chemo. Still hoping the Oncologist will say it’s all a mistake and they were smudges on the scan.

All very scary. Worse bit is telling my loved ones as I know they will worry about me.

I will beat this as i have too much dancing, drinking of cocktails and lovely holidays to do ??

Hi MissG,
First of all, sorry to hear the results were not as you would have wished for & that you’re back on the treadmill again & all that goes with it.
But, too right, love your attitude & there’s certainly loads of dancing, cocktails & lovely hols to look forward to ??
ann x

Thank you Blueash and Ann. Xxx

So I now have my treatment plan: 6 cycles of Docetaxel and Capecitabine ( a mixture of chemo by intravenous and tablets ). Due to start on 19th February so I now need to come off Tamoxifen.

I have my chemo assessment on 14th Feb which is ironic as it’s the 15th year anniversary of my mastectomy and my original BC journey.

Never thought I would be back having chemo but after 2 recurrences in the last 4 years and Mets I suppose it’s a necessity.

Good luck Miss Green. Big hug BB x

Thank you Bibi44