3 month wait for CT and bone scan reaults

Does anyone know if the oncologist would look at the scan results before the day they see you. I have been waiting 3 months now so I’m hoping everything is going to be ok. Just need a bit of reassurance really xx

Hi Anita and welcome to the secondaries part of the forum. I’m assuming you do have secondaries as ladies with primary BC do not get offered CT scans on a regular basis. If you have got SBC it is awful that someone hasn’t contacted you with your results and arranged an earlier appointment. There is not much point in them organising a CT and not then either looking at it or discussing the results with you. Normally you can contact your oncology department or your oncologists secretary to arrange an earlier appointment than the one you have scheduled. From what you have written you probably have your pre arranged appointment coming up soon, if so good luck with the results (I would have thought they would contact you if any progression etc was seen on the scan). If it’s not very soon I would get in touch and ask for one. We all understand how anxious the time is between scan and results (we call it scanxiety!) so to wait that long is really not acceptable. Even in more busy hospitals the actual scan results are seen very quickly, it takes the written report a bit longer normally, but not 3 months! As to whether your oncologist has looked at the results I would have hoped he/she would have done, again to gauge how your current treatment has been going.

Nicky x

Hi Nicky

Yes my appointment is tomorrow I’m sure everything will be ok but like you say it’s always an anxious time. I’ve been going through this for seven years now so you would have thought I would be used to it.

Unfortunately the cancer has spread to my spine, ribs and pelvis and I’ve been on Chemo for a year so fingers crossed everything will be ok as lady time he said he is hoping to give me a three month break and then start Chemo again.

Every time I see him at the hospital walking past I want to shout out to him have a look at my scans please lol. I know I’m not he’s only patient but like you said three months is a long time to wait.

We will see what tomorrow brings

Anita
Xxx

Hi Anita

As Nicky has said no one should have to wait that long for results but as you see them today Good Luck with the results let us know how you have got on

Love and (((hugs)))  xxx

Anita, disgusting that you have been waiting so long bt hopefully you will be told everything is fine today…everything is crossed for you.

I usually get my results at my next Onc appointment so that is sually about 2/3 weeks wait, which is bad enough. I have been before, all worked up about the results and they havent been sent throgh so my Onc told me to ring the CT/MRI unit the day before my appointment to check they are ready and have been sent.

Please let usknow how you get on. xx

Hi everyone. I went to see my oncologist yesterday and he thought he had already seen me about my scans!!! He said that everything is stable and there is no change from the scan taken previously. He has taken me off of Chemo for a while and now put me on Femara which I am a little apprehensive about as both arimadex and tamoxifen stopped working and I don’t really want to return in three months time to find out that things have got worse. I have a port a cath also which has been nothing but trouble. First of al they could not get no blood after accessing it, then all of a sudden it started working. Now because it’s quiet prominent and they keep missing when they access it the needle hole has got bigger so I’m concerned about infection and iyhe skin is almost transparent so you can see the poet through the skin. I asked my one if I should get it removed and he just said no just give it a rest for the time you are off of Chemo. However it has to be flushed every month so I can’t just leave it. Beginning to get a bit frustrated with it all now. Oh well enough of the moaning I’m sure things will all work out in the end.

Love to you all xx

Hi Anita,

how frustrating!

And re the port…you are justifiably concerned about infection. Is there a possibility you could see a bcn or a chemo staff nurse and ask their advice…hopefully the hole will heal up quickly…like those in the ear lobe do!

you obviously dont want to stick a plaster over it, in case the tissue round it is damaged by the plaster, but try and keep it dry if you can, meanwhile.

its also a little worrying  that the onc ‘thought’ hed seen you with the results! I would have expected that to have been noted in your records if he had done. Do you ask for copies of your gp letters? I have mine sent to me routinely…i find its good to just be able to revisit what was said at the appointment…as I forget bits.

i also understand about your concern re bc possibly returning;  what seems to be usual, is that a follow up scan would be done again at least within three months after the change of treatment, just to check that it is working. Maybe you could chat to your bcn about that…in case the onc needs a memory jogger!

do keep us posted about how you get on.

love and hugs,

Moijanxx

Anita, so pleased you finally got good news. I understand yor concerns about a chemo break…i am in the same position. I was er+ but changed to triple neg so femara didnt work for me but hopefully you’ll be ok. I have a groshan line which has been no trouble at all (hope nthats not tempting fate!!) biggest nisance is the fact that it has to be flushed weekly but i would hate to be without it. Maybe its an option for you to consider. xx

Hi stresshead
I have never heard of a groshan line could you tell me more about it.

I am now waiting for an MRI scan as has to go to A&E last Monday because of terrible pains in my back so they are investigating further.

It would be good to hear of other options other then the port I have.

Xx

Hi Anita, my line was the only thing suggested to me so thats what i went with. It was inserted under local anaesthetic…uncomfortable but not painful. Apparently they use ultrasound/video to guide the line under the skin and into the vena cava (main vein to/from heart). the line then hangs outside of the body. They usually have a dressing on them to ward off infection bt all the dressings caused a reaction in my skin so usually just have it taped up with micropore or just secured in my bra/top. I have not had any problems but they do have to be flushed every week which is a bit of a pain but the district nrse comes out to save me going to hospital. You can ask to be shown how to do it yourself which is even better (i havent been brave enough). Ask your onc team about it…may be a better option for you. Good luck with the mri. xx