cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 months post-DIEP, high abdominal pain

7 REPLIES 7
debbi

Re: 3 months post-DIEP, high abdominal pain

Hi all,it was on discovery home & health ,and as they have changed programmes at the min on that channel I cant remember what it was called,I am sure it was called plastic surgery,I will keep my eyes out for it and will post on here under new thread so you all know its on,as they always repeat stuff dont they?I will keep my eyes open,was very interesting .x
debbi x

ForumMember

Hi all

I had a double mast and recon from my tummy 8 mnths ago and still have trouble with my tummy wall.It depends on what i do during the day,if i do something that i dont normally do like painting etc then i get a burning sensation in my scar does anyone else get that.Been back to see plastic surgeon who told me that full recovery time is likely to be 12 mnths.I am a young mum and very impatient.Back at work but do have to still take it more slowely than normally would.

lopez

palomino98

Relieved to have seen my GP at last who put me through a lot of little exercises and assures me the abdominal wall is perfectly intact, and the DIEP repair is fine - I mentioned my increasingly frequent loose bowel movements, sometimes several in an hour and during the night too, and he said the sore band below my ribs is from a very inflamed upper colon. The chemo and cocktail of tablets disturbed the gut flora and the result is this painful irritation, bloating and small, frequent, explosive bowel movements. It all makes sense, I had completely forgotten the map of the digestive system since my O level biology but his pictures exactly correspond with the painful area. Suggests co-codamol, as the codeine may ease the looseness, and Yakult drinks and bio yogurts, though it is likely to persist throughout chemo. I am so glad there is nothing requiring more surgery and feel so daft that it just never crossed my mind it was a digestive disorder!

Debbi I get brief spasms and contractions on the area below the scar, quite odd sensations sometimes. I'm not sure I'm ready to watch it on film but would love to know what programme it was on for future curiosity!

Lyn xxx

julro

Debbi, I wondered what programme the op was on, must have been fascinating!

debbi

hi lynn,I had double tram flap recon nearly 9 months ago now and still have uncomfortable pains from my pubic bone to my chest,I have gained weight too,but dont forget,we have had major surgery we are going to be inactive and gain weight etc,for a while,I am only just now slowly getting back to normal but as I said ,still very uncomfy some days,just think about what they did to our insides to do this op and its no surprise we are uncomfy.Have you ever seen this op on tv?I did about 2 weeks after I had it done and Oh my word,it was major,but interesting to watch...if you are not squeamish that is... x x

eal69eal

Hi Lynn
I had my DIEP 5th March and I can relate to your abdo pain. I'm quite slim and my tummy had to be pulled sooooo tight. I now have problems eating big meals without getting really bloated and uncomfortable. I've just had my 3rd FEC and find it really hard to eat much in the days following as I have the stomach cramps from the epi to contend with aswell!. I don't get pains below the scar but I do feel really bloated and uncomfortable above it exactly where you describe. Unfortunately I don't know what to suggest! I just try small meals frequently. Also you might be right about pulling a muscle in the garden as I had a check up with the PS about 3 wks ago and he said that it takes up to 12 weeks for the tummy muscles to 'fire properly again' (his words) and during this time you are more at risk of straining them. Can you try and be more persistent with your GP to get a quicker appt?.
Good luck with it all
xx

julro

Hi there, I had bilateral tram surgery 6 months ago, and still have days which are a lot more painful than others particularly if I have been painting (redecorated a couple of rooms recently) or gardening or lifting things that I should probably not be lifting. I was stuck in traffic a couple of days ago, sitting in one place for a few hours and really suffered with abdominal pain at night.
Worth checking things out though, so hopefully it won't be anything to worry about.

palomino98

3 months post-DIEP, high abdominal pain

I am 51 and had mastectomy and immediate DIEP recon on 1 March. Now 12 weeks on, I have had 3 chemo sessions and gained over a stone in weight. All the scars are healing well, last saw the plastic surgeon 6 weeks ago and not due to go again for another 6 weeks. Nipple recon and tidying dog ears won't be done for some time, well after chemo and rads.

I have been wearing firm control support pants, as instructed, and as the extra weight around my waist was making them roll down and sit on the DIEP scar, I got some high-waisted ones. Stopped wearing them during the hot weather a couple of weeks ago. Also during the hot weather I did a little gardening, a couple of hours weeding and planting. Since then I have had increasing pain in a band across the top of my abdomen, on and just above the top of the numb panel left after the operation, just below the ribs. I get a lot of cramps and contractions lower down, between the scar and pubic area, mainly when I change position, or turn over in bed, but this is different, a constant, painful ache, worsened by staying in one position (sitting or walking) so I'm constantly fidgeting to try and relieve it. It feels bloated, bruised and swollen, sometimes a bit lumpy, and very sore. The family think I overdid the gardening and have pulled something. I wonder if the weight gain is straining the area, or if the nerves are knitting and this is why it's suddenly hurting so much. I feel worse than I did in the first weeks post-op! Can't get an appointment with my GP until next week, and I'm reluctant to see the plastic surgeon for extra visits as BUPA aren't paying for him now. Anyone else had anything similar? Thanks, Lyn xxx