Oh heartiest congratulations on the birth of your beautiful daughter that is wonderful news.
Good luck with the next part of your treatment, let us know how you get on.
Congratulations on the birth of your daughter, Wandestrong. You are doing really well and it's so good you've come on here for support from those going through it too. Remember the grading is different to staging, so presumably you are grade 2 and stage 1 or 2. I'm stage 2 with local node involvement, so having 8 rounds of chemo then surgery. I'm on day 11 of my first chemo and it's no where near as bad as I had prepared myself for. You just have to look after your health really well and drink plenty of water - take all the support you can from family to give yourself "me" time, to stay healthy. If you have chemo, join the treatment monthly thread for starters in the same month as you and you'll form a lovely little support group like Anniej and I have. I'm 48 now, so my babies are now in university and if it's any consolation, I hated breast feeding, developed mastitis and only managed to keep it up for about 6weeks before I gave in and switched to formula milk.....and my babies are now doing just fine as young adults.
sending big hugs to you and your daughter. Xx
Wande, sending heartiest congratulations on the birth of your beautiful daughter. 🎉🎁😇. I think reinvigorated is an excellent word to use as you pursue your treatment. The very very best wishes for the future. Really rooting for you . X
How's it going Wandestrong ? I hope by now you are a happy Mummy to a healthy bubba.
still here waiting for little one to arrive, now 38 weeks along so hopefully shouldn't be too much more of a wait. I had some unexpected news after preparing for over a year of treatments to come. Following the surgery, the sample was retested for HER2 and test came back negative, so no longer need the year of herceptin treatment. Chemo is still a possibility, but having an Oncotype test to determine if this will be necessary. I had a first appointment with oncologist yesterday, but now a waiting game until baby comes to prepare for next step.
Sending positive thoughts to everyone.
Good news, Wandestrong. You are safe, the baby is safe and just a load of crap to get through now. The chemo will just ensure that you see that little girl grow up, so chemo is your friend! Onward and upward . Sending hugs for you both. 👌 X
So I had my post-surgery results appointment yesterday and feeling mixed about it all.
The good news is that the margins were clear and sentinal nodes were clear too, so they are 94% sure the cancer didn't spread. After the initial biopsy, I was told it was a Grade2 2cm lump, however following the surgery, this was confirmed as a Grade 3 2.5cm. I really wasn't expecting a change from Grade 2 to 3. This now means I will need Chemo followed by Radiation. I had prepared my mind for the possibility of Chemo, but thought it might be unlikely. However the consultant said due to my young age and grade, Chemo would be most likely recommended. The other news I received was that the initial biopsy had tested positive for HER2 (the surgery sample is now being tested again just to be sure), so I would also need Herceptin following Chemo then followed by tamoxifen as it was also ER+. So while i'm pleased that the surgery was a success and I am now cancer free, I'm trying to wrap my head around the length of the treatments to follow, while also caring for a newborn baby and mourning my ability to breastfeed, due to Chemo treatment. I have an appointment with the oncologist in a couple of weeks to discuss the next stage of treatment.
I'm fortunate to have a supportive family, who will help me as much as they can, so trying to remain positive and concentrate on delivering a healthy baby girl in the next month. I'll work through the rest as it comes.
All the best to us all,
That's great Wandestrong - so glad you and the baby are doing well. The numb armpit is really weird isn't it - they never told me about that - and it seems like weeks that I was washing under my arm and couldn't feel myself doing it! You do get the feeling back in due course. A bit like when you have a local anaeasthetic at the dentist and are drooling for a few hours afterwards 'cos you can't feel your mouth....armpit takes a fair bit longer.
I've still got a bit of scar tissue more than 3 months after my lumpectomy and yes, it does feel like a small lump either end of my lumpectomy scar, but be assured it is normal. All good wishes for the rest of your treatment and baby's arrival. xxxx
So glad to hear you've had the surgery & you'really both well.
As Helena says, lumpiness around the scar is quite usual, it's due to the swelling & scarring post surgery. My scar area is slightly lumpy a year later.
Thinking of you for next Tuesday.
Oh that is great to hear the op went well and that baby is doing well. Yep plenty of rest for you now :).
The lumpiness and soreness is quite normal, as is the fear that the cancer is still there xx Also the numbness in your armpit again is quite normal and will probably be like that for several weeks or so, I remember putting my deoderant on 4 weeks post op and I only knew I was doing it because I could see I was but I could not actually feel it. Very weird sensation 🙂
Let us know how you get on next week.
I had a the same op as you are having and it was a fairly easy recovery. I was not pregnant but I am sure you will be fine and the baby can stay where s/he is and you will be full recovered by the times/he arrives. Good luck and please keep us posted about how you are getting on xxx
Good luck Wandestrong - really glad things are working out and baby can arrive at the proper time. I had WLE and Sentinel node biopsy in December and it really was fine - went down the pub the day after (fizzy water only !). I appreciate that I wasn't pregnant, so you might feel a bit more tired than I did post-op, but it is one of the more straightforward of ops to do with this nasty disease. Do your arm exercises from the outset, and ensure your friends and family bring you chocolate . (No, not a medical reason for this, but it's jolly nice.....) xx
Surgery booked in for Thursday 23rd (i'll be 34 weeks). I'm having a wide local excision (lumpectomy) and sentinal node biopsy. I have to have a radio isotope injection first (can't have blue dye when pregnant, i've been told), so just praying all goes to plan and harnessing postive thoughts for the surgery and the results.
Thanks ladies for all the support x
Hi Wandestrong, just sending a big hug, and positive thoughts for what is to come. X
I'm really glad you've got a clear way forward Wandestrong....and tomorrow hopefully you should find out more details. Let us know how you get on x
That's great Wande, do keep us updated & come back to chat whenever you want to.
Oh that is good news, well done. Remember we are always here for you xxx
Thanks everyone for the supportive messages .
I had an appointment with the antenatal consultant yesterday and it was reassuring to see that baby is doing so well and growing happily. She was happy to recommend I have the surgery whilst still pregnant so I can recover prior to delivery. I feel so much better knowing that all the different specialities are involved in making the best decision for me and baby. I have my next appointment with the breast consultant tomorrow so will hopefully get a definate outcome and hopefully surgery date too.
Will keep you updated.
Positive thoughts and blessings x
Dear Wandestrong, I am thinking of you so much. Such a lot to take in. Good news about your mum though. I can't advise, but am sure your medical people will do the best thing for both of you, and best of luck.
Wow you have got a lot to consider!
So as I understand it the surgeon wants to take the lump out soon and leave the baby alone for what could be another 9 weeks. Another opinion says to induce the baby in 5 weeks and then go ahead with your treatment.
I suppose if it was me I would be asking about the effect of the anaesthetic on the baby if I was having surgery to the breast before delivery. Usually of course heavily pregnant women get the anaesthesia because they are having a c-section and lots of them these days get an epidural. I think you need a consultant anaesthetist in on this one as well. They may be able to make you drowsy and pain free without a general anaesthetic but it would depend upon how long your breast surgery is likely to take. When you have a c- section the baby is out within a short space of time.
So I would want to know if they could do the surgery soon without harming the baby and if they are confident that they can I would go for that option. That way you are treated sooner and can carry on with the recovery while still pregnant. Recovering with a newborn would be difficult because both of you need looking after and you will be sore and not very mobile for a few days.
Please let us know how you get on xxx
Oh goodness Wandestrong, what an incredibly difficult thing to take in at the best of times, let alone when you are late in the third trimester of pregnancy. I'm glad there is a MDT taking care of you, and a obsteatrician (sp?) getting involved...to help you in your decision. It's incredibly difficult when you get conflicting advice and I'm crossing my fingers that they pull themselves together with a consensus. I'm sure this is increasing your fears hugely, so many 'what ifs' at the moment! From your Mum's situation you will know that this diagnosis, for the majority of women, can have a very successful outcome after treatment, but knowing what is right for you now must be frightening. Do stick around and we will do our best to support you 'virtually'. x
I received a diagnosis of invasive ductal carcinoma in my right breast last week. I am 33 and currently 32 weeks pregnant with my second child. I discovered the lump while on holiday in February and hoped it may be a milk cyst or something benign related to pregnancy. After a few weeks of ignoring it, I decided to have it checked out by my GP and was referred to the Breast unit within a few weeks. Following an ultrasound and biopsy, the results came back as 1.8cm lump grade 2. My mom was diagnosed with Grade 3 breast cancer a few years ago at 57yrs old and following treatment and a mastectomy, she is doing well.
It seems my case is more complex at the moment considering I am pregnant. My consultant wants to do a lumpectomy with sentinel node biopsy within a few weeks, followed by radiation after I give birth, however she's having some resistance from other members of the MDT team who think I should be induced at 36 weeks and have the surgery after. I am more in agreement with my consultant, as I will like to ensure my baby has as long as possible to develop. My pregnancy has been low risk and midwife-led thus far, I am seeing an obstetrician this week who will give her advice to the consultant on whether to induce or have surgery first.
I am trying to remain as positive as I can but it’s tough not to worry about everything. I am praying for the best decision to be made for the health of my baby and myself.