33 years old and just been diagnosed...

Hi,

I found out I had breast cancer (confirmed) yesterday and am still reeling from the shock of it. Its not in my family and with my age it has come as a complete shock !! I am a mom to two little girls aged 2 and 5…and terrified what i have to face and how to protect my little ones from this awful news !

I have been told Ive got to have a lumpetcomy (apologies for spelling) and got to have my lymph nodes removed (cos theres a suspicious one) and then have chemo and radio therapy. Am waiting for a date for my Op and feel a bit in limbo at the moment.

Would love to talk to any fellow moms or anyone else who has just found out they have breast cancer…cos at the moment I feel I cant tlak to anyone without reducing them to tears !!!

HI
I was diagnosed in March , had lumpectomy in April, due to start rads on Monday for 4 weeks.
Dont feel alone, come and talk to us, believe me I have found this site marvelous since diagnosis, and cant believe so many of us are in the same boat.
The ladies I speak to on hear are lovely.
Keep your chin up, take every day at a time.
Take care
Libby xxxxxx

Hi Salsal

I am so sorry to hear of your news, I was 32 when I was diagnosed 3 years ago, I too had a little boy who was then 3 years old. I had a lumpectomoy, Chemo and Rads. It is extremely hard trying to stay strong but your mother instinct will take over and you will be. At the moment you will have all sorts going on in your head and you won’t know which way to turn. Stay positive and take each day as it comes as at the moment you’ll be on a rollercoaster. Believe me, you will get through this and we are all here for you. this site is wonderful support and its great if you just want to let off steam. You take care and please let us know how you get on. you should get your date soon and the breast cancer nurses are there for you so make sure you use them. We are also here for you too.

the thing is, there are lots of good stories out there and I think you need to concetrate on those, you will survive this, you will fight it and you will win.

Stay strong and keep in touch.

Love and best wishes to you

Claire xx

Hi,

i was 34 when dx. i had 3 little girls ages 18 mnths 3 and 7. I know its a shock at the moment but try to be positive and take it one step at a time. I was dx in dec 07 and am doing well. This may i did an 8.5 mile walk somethink last year i thought i would never do. I personally didn’t tell me kids too much as i didn’t want to frighten them and when i lost my hair delt with it then rather than building them up to it. They just enjoyed playing with my wig. Its hard trying to keep your emotions away from the kids but i just wanted them to be kids and not worry about what was going on. Again no family history for me and no obvious health conditions that could have caused it but shit happens. We have no choice we are given the cancer card and we have to deal with it.

I know its hard but try to be positive about beating this damn disease.

Take care and hugs to u
sukes

Hi Salsal and welcome to the BCC forums,

I can see that you have had support from your fellow users, in addition BCC can offer you further support and information, the following link will take you to our publication specifically aimed at younger women which explains these in detail and how to access them:

breastcancercare.org.uk/server/show/nav.718/changeTemplate/PublicationDisplay/publicationId/80

You may also find our publications called ‘Talking to children’ and ‘Mummy’s lump’ helpful, they can be ordered via these links:

breastcancercare.org.uk/server/show/nav.718/changeTemplate/PublicationDisplay/publicationId/21

breastcancercare.org.uk/server/show/nav.718/changeTemplate/PublicationDisplay/publicationId/18

Our helpline is on 0808 800 6000 and is open Mon-Fri 9-5 and Sat 9-2, you are welcome to call for a confidential chat with one of our helpline team for support and more information about any of our services.

Best wishes
Lucy

Thank you girls for posting the comments…its a great comfort to know that there are others that have been through and are going through the same thing…

I fully intend to use this site to get as much information…tips…friendship and support to help get me and others through this testing time.

The hospital have just called…Im going in next Thurs for my op. Am just off to collect the kids from school and nursery and were going away for the weekend to have some fun and take my mind off things.

Will be back in touch…so many questions and comments to make.

Thank you again for getting in touch xxx

hey salsal.

Ive posted on the the other thread of an equally young and scared mum. I am 32, have 10MTH old daughter and a 2yr old daughter. I have grade 3 BC and a 2x2 tumour has been removed already.

I felt pretty good afterwards to be fair but cried all the way to theatre until i was sedated.

I feel totally gutted about this but feel it needs to be dealt with while my kids are too young to remember anytning. My wig has freaked the two year old out already so will have to graduallt introduce it to her.

I have everythign to live for and wont let BC get in my way.I tend to have a good cry when in the car on my own when a soppy song comes on! Works for me.

xx
Take care
Have good weekend away!

hello, i’m new here too but was diagnosed in march. i had a lumpectomy and currently undergoing chemo, and will need radiotherapy and hormone therapy for five years. i’m 33 with a nine month old baby and wonderful husband and totally understand your feelings of wanting to protect your loved ones from all this.
i don’t have a family history either so was totally shocked to find i had BC. i was loving my perfect life and was planning to start trying for another soon… how naiive can we be ???

i’ve only been part of these forums for the last few days but i can tell you i’ve had some wonderful support already. there are some strong and lovely women here… the initial shock of the diagnosis i can only describe as like a car crash of emotions… but you are not alone. you will get through this. you will have utterly awful days and days where you are ok…and days where you laugh (although you might not believe that yet)…

you’ll find strength from somewhere. i have a beautiful family to fight for, they are the fire in my belly. i hope you have a good weekend and keep in touch. xxx

evie… i love the wig…XXXX

i was first diagnosed 3 yrs ago at 37 and just had a new primary diagnosed last month aged 40.

it does take some getting used to and you do have good days and bads but somehow you just manage to muddle on through.

best wishes xx

Hi, not as youmg as you! But still one hell of a shock and i worry about my 20yr old baby and how she is coping! I’ve just started chemo after lumpectomy. this site has been a life line, so many friends who help and support, younger and young!
We have all creid and ranted, got angry, every emotion!
Take care, love Debs xx
ps have a lovely weekend!

Girls,

Thank you all for your comments…it really does make a difference knowing that Im not going through this alone and that there are people out there that know exactly what Im going through…its still early days for me and people are very emotional about it all…which is understandable but doesnt help me !

Had a fantastic weekend away…went to visit relatives in York and spent most of the time on the beach at Scarborough. The girls loved it and I’ve come back with a real fighting spirit…Im determined to get through the next 12 months (as scary as they seem now) and come through a stronger person !

Still not sure how to work this site…are the forums the main way to talk to you all ? So many questions I dont know where to start.

Got to tell my daughter (the 5yr old) tomorrow about my Op on Thurs…am just gonna tell her about my lump being removed…no mentioning the C word…just incase she says to someone else and they react badly and frighten her…

Thanks again for all your support xxxxx

Hi SalSal,
Sorry to hear you are having to have a lumpectomy, but hope to offer you some encouragement. I had a biopsy the same week Ofsted appeared at work and my twins sat their GCSE’s! Staying calm was tough but I did. I was found to have LCIS and invasive cancer. I had two more lumpectomies and some lymph nodes removed. They found four tumours altogether and LCIS but said I didn’t need an MX. Radiotherapy was O.K. The hardest part for me was seeing people who were obviously so very poorly. At my worst I cried a lot when the house was empty and didn’t want to go out. It was a tough nine months from start to finish but I am now back at work and have some strength back. I think the drugs can make you feel bad Tamoxifen made me depressed and Arimidaex has made me put on a stone in weight I am tempted not to take it but scared the cancer may take over.
Do whatever ou need to stay well and happy- listen to your body. You will get through it eventully…Love goldwing girl.x

Hi Salsal,

I have put for your below the link to BCC’s publication ‘Mummy’s Lump’ it’s a book especially designed for children to help them understand what is happening to you. From feedback we’ve had from others it’s a good parental aid to help and children have found it easy to understand. I’ve also put the link to another of our publications about talking to children about breast cancer.

Mummy’s lump: breastcancercare.org.uk/server/show/nav.718/changeTemplate/PublicationDisplay/publicationId/18

Talking to children:
breastcancercare.org.uk/server/show/nav.718/changeTemplate/PublicationDisplay/publicationId/21

I hope these help. Kind regards

Jo, Facilitator

Hi everyone im 43yrs old, I was diagonosed last Wednesday as having BC, I have a 16 yr old just sitting his GCSE’s, a 12yr old and my little girl of 4yrs. I cant tell you all how I felt I practically cried the hospital down! It has affected my mental health status immensley as I keep fearing the worst!! I go back on Weds this week to recieve the core biopsy info but despite that my surgery is booked for the 3/7/09. A mastectomy in one breast and lumpectomy in the other one. God im so scared!!! I was perfectly happy and normal until this time last week and my life has been totally shattered! I have no family history of BC and am still trying to get my head around everything. I just love my family so much!!! and its the first time I’ve been on this site, it actually is so upsetting to read stories similar to mine?
Love to you all xx

awwww hugs molly

it is really hard to get your head round. have you had a chance to speak to your breast nurse as they are usually a valuable source of advice and information too.

lots of friendly words of wisdom and support on here too.

i got diagnosed the day before my daughter was doing her highers and shes really done poorly and had to walk out during them so we have kinda written off this year exam wise… more important things to life than exams anyway i say.

hope all goes well with your results… the waiting is definitely the worst experience in the world… and its normal to fear the worst too.

Hi

I was 39 at dx, had lumpectomy last May then chemo then rads, now tamoxifen. It was 3.1cm gade 3 and I had 5 out of 7 nodes affected. My girls were 4 and 2, and we found ‘Mummy’s Lump’ fantastic in helping them understand what was happening to Mummy and why Mummy lost her hair, etc. We got a copy for their nursery too. We were very open about it but never really used the word cancer very much.

The treatment is not easy with young children, so accept all offers of help, it will help you to recover quicker from the treatment.

I went back to work in January part time and since April full time. I still have side effects from the chemo + tamoxifen, but I want to see my girls grow up…

This site has been an absolute godsend, use it any time and good luck

Kinden
x

Thank you so much for all your comments…its a massive support to know that other people have been through the same thing and are coming out the other side…I think Ive got past the initial shock at thinking Id been handed a death sentence and am a lot more positive and am determined to fight this all the way !!

Went to see the breast cancer nurse Monday…she was dead lovely. Apparently its been graded stage 2…my op is on Thurs…not too worried about it…just want to get in there and get it out…

They have already said my cancer is trying to shed cells hence why they are removing all my lymph nodes…then I have to wait 2 weeks till I get the rest of the news from that…so scared about getting more bad news but trying my best to put it to the back of my mind.

Its the chemo that really scares me if Im honest…the thought of losing my hair really upsets me…and the not knowing how ill its going to make me and the impact it will have on my family life. Up until now my husband worked away from home in the week so my girls are very dependent on me…its gonna be so hard taking a back seat with them…

Roll on Thurs…and thanks for your messages of support xxx

hi salsal, if its any consolation im scared too, have just had the confirmation of my bed for the 3/7/09 for a mastectomy on one and poss lumpectomy on the other as that one was leaning more to the side of benign, i get my full set of core bio results tomoz, you would think that the scary part was last week when i was told but im scared to go tomorrow and find out what type ive got! my nodes looked clear on ultrasound but they will check them when i have my op. god the thought of chemo or radio scares me senseless, does everyone lose their hair? i dont know all this is new to me? does it depend of the strength and doseage? good luck for thurs, the op doesnt bother me i just want rid if that makes sense, so that we can start the recovery process. my thoughts will be with you!! much love xxx

Hi Molly…strange what you said…do you know what Im nervous about whats gonna happen after the op but other than that Im like you…the op cant come quick enough ! They told me that my cancer is trying to shed its cells and its round one of my lymph nodes (thats why they are taking the lot out) If I cud I wud have had the op the next day…just want this cancer out of me !!

They have told me that my lymph nodes will be sent off for tests and then Ill found out how aggressive or if its going anywhere else in 2 weeks…feel scared to death getting these results…much more than been told I had it in the first place…I wasnt scared at all then as I competely didnt expect it!

Ive been told regardless of the results because of my age I will more than likely have to have chemo and radio…am terrified of how ill the chemo will make me and the thought of losing my hair makes me feel sick to my stomach…but its just another hurdle to face and get through !! My family, friends and work have been so supportive…they make me wanna fight this and make me feel so positive when Im around them…dont like being on my own anymore…I think far too much.

Will be intouch…All the best for your op on the 3rd…lots of love xx

hi salsal, you sound in a simialr position to me… i cant be on my own i feel very insecure, and when i go anywhere to the shops or into town i want to get back home all the time! my little girls voice echos in my ear and i love them all so much. i cant concentrate on anything anymore only ‘what if’s?’ are you on facebook? i am and access the instant chat service on there as i want to discuss my BC all the time, it seems to make me feel better. my family are devastated if im honest and try to be supportive but are heartbroken inside. my lymph nodes will be tested after my op however, they think they looked fine on ultrasound, so fingers crossed on that one!! i get sick to the stomach also at the thought of hair loss and weight loss/gain, sickness, menopause ??? im just going through sheer hell at the moment and cant wait to have my operation. much luv hun xxxxx