75.1K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

34yo & advised to consider chemo

3 REPLIES 3

Re: 34yo & advised to consider chemo

Thank you Mel. As with everything over the last few months, it takes a few days to absorb the wall of information and then make informed decisions. We're holding off until I get the results of the oncotype test back next week.
Jo thank you, I'll read through those links.
Xx

Re: 34yo & advised to consider chemo

Hi NushyC,

 

I have put for you below links to some of BCC's services and publications which you might find helpful.  If you need any more information about services for younger women please do give our helpline a call and they will be able to help.  0808 800 6000, calls are free, open weekdays 9-5 and Sat 10-2.

 

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-services/someone-talk/one-one-support

 

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/fertility-issues-breast-canc...

 

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/about-breast-cancer-care/support-younger-women-brea...

 

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Re: 34yo & advised to consider chemo

Hi nushy,
I was diagnosed 10 years ago at 34 with grade 3, er and pr neg and no nodes involved. They advised me to have chemo and rads as a belt and braces approach. I had completed my family but my children were small and I suppose I might have like a third child. However, chemo didn't make me infertile. A lot of younger women aren't affected but they can't guarantee it. I have 2 friends who had chemo in their 30s. One had a child 4 years after as she took a hormone treatment to give her a better chance and another is now menopausal 12 years later. So it's not all bad news.
Can your bc nurse put you in touch with someone like you? That might help your decision.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do. It's not easy.

Mel x

34yo & advised to consider chemo

Hi there.

I found a lump before Christmas and a biopsy confirmed it was a malignant tumour. The histology has come back, following a lumpectomy as a grade 2, 1.7mm ER & PR +ve, HER2 -ve with clear margins. My lymph nodes are clear. Initially I was told that the disadvantages of chemo would outweigh the advantages as I was hoping to start a family soon so I would have RT & then decide on how we'd move forward with hormonal therapy. However, another oncologist asked to see me and has told me to consider chemo because of the added protection it could offer in the future bearing it mind the risks to fertility (I had only returned from honeymoon when I found my lump) as Iam keen to start a family ASAP.
I have opted for the Oncotype DX test & am waiting for the results to help with decision making but are there any another women who have found themselves in a similar position as I am very anxious about the whole preserving fertility vs. chemo when 2 oncologists have 2 opposites views (I have been offered embryo preservation but this comes with its own set of issues).