Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

36 and recently diagnosed.

6 REPLIES 6
mandyj

Re: 36 and recently diagnosed.

Hi Julo 

I was diagnosed at 36 too. Had Grade 2 IDC and 1x positive lymph node. Had surgery , chemo then rads and my treatment finished January this year. I started Tamoxifen in December but my hot flushes had already started in the November as the chemo had sent me into the menopause. I was offered egg freezing (or whatever they call it) but I already have a little boy and was not planning any more. I take the Tamoxifen at bedtime as it does make me feel a bit dizzy. When I get up to the  loo in the night I feel a bit whoozy and at the beginning felt nauseous, but that stopped. I get calf muscle cramps every morning but I also have Multiple Scelrosis so it could be that rather than the Tamoxifen. I have the Wockhardt brand which some people find horrid but I don't have any real complaints. The 12 months post diagnosis will be hard and will pass in a blur but you will feel better this time next year, honest.

Good Luck

mandyj.xx

Katykookabura

Hi Julo, glad to hear you got someone to come with you. I am 62 so I was put on Anastrozole for the next five years. As the other lady says there is a good site I think on face book for younger ladies which might be helpful. If you post another thread on this site and ask about Tamoxifen I suspect you will get a lot of responses as a lot of younger ladies on it. Take care l, let us know how you get on on Friday, Katy.
spikeyred

Hi Julo. Sorry you are in the breast cancer club. I know it is really hard to be positive but the treatment now is really successful. Am hoping your results on Friday are good. I will start tamoxifen after my chemo. The side effects seem to vary, some people say they have had menopausal symptoms like hot flushes etc other have had none. Apparently there are different brand names for the drug so if one doesn't suit you ask to change to another. The other thing I wanted to say, have noticed your age. If you are interested there is a fantastic facebook group for younger women with breast cancer, it is so supportive. It is a secret group so it is totally private and you can really say how you feel. You can search for the group and then need to email to ask to join. Best wishes for the next stage of your treatment
Julo

Hi Katy. Thank you for your reply. My husband will be with me for the results and he's good at asking questions!!
It's good to hear from others who are going or have gone through the same. When I first got the diagnosis I made the mistake of searching the web, but after reading a few horror stories I stopped and have stuck to just reading the literature that my breast care nurses have given me. My cancer is oestrogen receptor positive so I wi be on tamoxifen for the nxt 5+ years, do you know anything about that drug or the side effects?
I'm pleased that you are doing ok and thanks again for the advice.
Julo.
Katykookabura

Hi Julo, sorry you have found yourself here, however you will get support from the others who are ahead of you on this cancer journey.
Like you I was very positive holding it together as I was told the week before Christmas. What myself and my hubby found the hardest was telling others because as you said you try to protect them from the pain of it all. My immediate family told others and then I got close friends to tell others and that helped rather than trying to do it myself and cope with my feelings.
When you go for your results take someone with you as you said you already feel in a daze and that other person will hear things that maybe you don't but also you can check with them what was said. Make notes of questions if you have any beforehand. Your breast care nurse is the best person to help answer these after your appointment or call the nurses on this site.
As I expect you might have read on this site already general advice is not too google as there is some scary sites out there. Stick with this one or the Mc Millian one .
My cancer was a primary and had not spread. I had two attempts to get it all out and that it quite common so don't be surprised if they ask you to come back in for more surgery . I had then 15 radiotherapy treatments and now on Anastrozole for next five years.
Take each stage as it comes and you will get through it . There will be low moments but remember cancer treatment is at its best now and a lot of ladies ( and gents) are doing really well. They keep a close eye on you and regular check ups will happen.
You will find the waiting bits in between each stage of treatment the worse as it is all out of your control. Take extra care of yourself and keep away from any one with any infections as your immune system will be struggling. At the moment. Just think you have to get rid of the "alien" as I called it that is there as quickly as possible and then you can move on. Let us know how you do. This site has many threads you can join in and I expect some of the other ladies will get in touch soon . Best wishes, Katy.
Jo_BCC

Hi Julo

Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care discussion forums, you've come to the right place for some good, honest support from the many informed users of this site.

While you are waiting for replies from your fellow forum users  you might find helpful to give our helpline team a ring, they're  just a free phone call away, 0808 800 6000 lines open Mon-Fri 9-5 and Sat 10-2, they're here to support you through this.

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Julo

36 and recently diagnosed.

Hi. I found a lump about 7 weeks ago. I had the lump and 3 lymph nodes removed last week. I have the consultant appointment this Friday when I will find out if the cancer had spread and what the next stage of treatment is. I feel as though nothing is real and quite dazed. It's all happened so fast! I'm finding it really hard to talk to my family about how I'm feeling as I can't cope with Seeing their worry and sadness. So I'm putting on this bravado of being super positive, not being down and talking about anything other than the cancer. Inside though I'm falling apart. I don't know what I want from this site, maybe just go talk about my true feelings with others who feel the same.