3days post Mx and ??? Seroma

Hi everyone,
well I am now 3 days post complete Mx still in hospital and will be in until tuesday when hopefully my drain should come out. What a totally different experience to the first 2 ops (WLE/ANC then a re excision) I was so poorly after both of those and ended up both times as an emergency re admittance. I have no pain to speak of, just sore and bruised -bit like a hippo is sat on my chest. But something has definitely changed in my head. Instead of feeling like I’m on the path of dread, each op spells something worse etc I have now got rid of the little( or not so in my case 49mm grade 3 with further extensive areas) bu**er and can start to move onto the treatment path. I actually feel amazing.
I had an idea yesterday with my genie bra- I took the pad out of the LHS and put 3 pads in the RHS and it evened me up ( Somewhat solid though-could probably launch spacecraft off it!!). Can’t tell I’ve even had an op. well chuffed. Hope this euphoria lasts!!!
I went on the “Look Good Feel Better” afternoon a couple of weeks ago. What an absolutely amazing afternoon that was. It was heaps of fun, loads of tips, very professionally run and the goody bag was crammed full of skin care and make (more than £250). Thank you so much to the organisers
I have also had a headstrong session- also very useful and run by volunteers who have had bc themselves. I even came away with a really nice scarf.
My wig is also waiting for me in the salon. I’ve had my own hair cut to the same style so hopefully the transition will be seamless if the cold cap doesn’t work.
My chemo essentials pack is all done too- from bonjela and difflam to ginger tea.
I feel so much more positive now that I’m organised and feel back in control. So hopefully I will now be able to be included in the April thread-just waiting for final referral as I’m changing hospitals.
I really hope Elliedog is ok -her Mx was the same day as mine.
Also many thanks to Nextstep for her diary-she made it all feel a lot less scary than I thought it would be!

love to everyone and a happy Sunday!! Xxx

Bump

hi littlescoot
like you i had an easy time in hospital, i was up and dressed, make up on and waiting for brekkie at 6.30 every morning and i would like to say that so far (almost 3 wks post op) it has continued to be that way. dont get me wrong, i have days where i get aches and feel tired, sometimes i do too much stretchy movements because i forget i’m in recovery and it soon reminds me when i squeal!! I would like to say make sure you do take it easy even though you feel good, i have tried my best but sometimes its hard not to do stuff that you probably shouldnt.
its really surprising isnt it, considering what they do, i expected to be laid up for weeks!
much better when the drain comes out too. \\\ happy sunday to you too \\
angie x

Hi Littlescoot. Its good to hear how well you are feeling. I came home the next day after my right breast mx and clearance. I to was surprised how well I felt (even though the anacestic made me sick)very quickly. I still have a drain in and the nurse that comes everyday said she would like it to stay for a couple of more days, but I can cope with that. I feel a little numb under my arm and a little down my back this evening but im guessing thats probably normal but I will ask the nurse tommorrow. I am in total agreement with you, I feel different now it is over like a burden to some extent has been lifted. Although the consultant has given me a good idea of the treatment to expect (chemo with herceptin,possible rads) I feel I have got over the biggest hurdle. The consultant was very positive which was a first becasuse he certainly doesn’t mince his words. I feel like I am starting to take control back with the help of my lovely positve husband and family and friends. This cancer may of invaded my body without me knowing but there is no way it is coming back. The nurses were even telling me about all the fantastic reconstructions that can be done now. Although I know that is some time down the line it is something I would like to consider. I hope you keep feeling positive because its good to hear. I read you mentioned using a cold cap for chemo I wonder if you could post me what you think about using one because i don’t know anyone that has used one and how well they work.Please keep in touch and let me know how well your doing.We’ve both got of to a good start so lets keep it up. Happy recovery and lots of hugs.
Angela (elliedog) xx

Hi Littlescoot - great to hear you are feeling so positive after the op. It sounds like you are very well organised and ready for anything! I think you are doing really well if you are becoming bra creative! Still struggling with mine - I think I am going to call the BCN tomorrow.
Angel/Elliedog, good to hear you are doing well too.

Angie & Elliedog,
I’m glad you are both doing well after your Mxs. Be kind to yourselves, and don’t do too much too soon, but do try to do the exercises. They really help.
Best wishes for a quick recovery.
MM x

Good morning everyone
oops I think my post was a little over zealous yesterday. It turns out my drain wasn’t working. The pressure had gone so they changed the bottle. And I’ve been in agony since! I have had an extremely hard lump appear on my chest sort of half way between my throat and the op site. Almost feels like bone but they are wondering if the drain has kinked and is causing pressure build up. So they are removing my drain today then having an ultra sound. Thankfully they upped my meds from tramadol to morphine last night. feel blinking frustrated as I was doing so well and now everything hurts like bu*gery!
The GA tube has also affected my voice and Im alternating between sounding like dot cotton and joe pasquale
harrummph!!!
Hope everyone else is doing ok and you all have a happy Monday :slight_smile: xxx
mandie

Mandie, I hope you are feeling better today. There are ups and downs in this journey and it sounds like you had a down day yesterday - an up day will be along sooner or later. I hope it’s today!

Hello again everyone
has anyone got experience of post Mx seromas at all???
i have a squishy bit on my surgery site towards my side and below my dressing. If I press it it is mobile and makes a sort of rumbly tummy sound where my breast used to be. I had a feeling that seromas were solid but this is a bit like a tiny water bed. Any ideas. I have an appointment with the clinic tomorrow but if its normal post op fluid im going to feel a right tit-so to speak lol.
All the best to everyone
Mandie

Hi Mandie - best laugh I have had today! Mine is squidgy - never had a water bed but it is definitely more water than divan! I don’t know about the noise though - it isn’t trapped wind is it?
Just ask them to confirm it’s normal - I find that I don’t worry about side effects as long as they are “normal” - whatever that means! That’s not to say I don’t complain!

Hi Littlescoot/Mandie
I had a seroma after my WLE and it was just like a mini waterbed! The sloshing sound was very loud too! I asked 2 of my friends to listen to it as I thought I was going mad - they were quite shocked how loud it was. I talked it over with my BCN and she said not to worry unless it goes hard then they will have to drain it. It went away by itself about a week later.
I wouldn’t worry about getting it checked out - I’ve certainly asked some very silly things which didn’t seem that silly at the time!
Hope you’re feeling better today X

Hi everyone
just a quick update my water bed did indeed turn out to be a seroma!
Had 70mls drained yesterday morning-didn’t feel a thing, but by last night it was sloshing and slurping away again. got a feeling ill be back there again tomorrow for another draining. Didn’t know I was actually in so much discomfort until the liquid had gone then it was ooooo lovely to be able to move again.
(((((( ))))))
mandie

I have now had a seroma drained 3 times and at last it seems to be subsiding. Like you I didn’t realise that it was uncomfortable until all that fluid ws drained. I guess it builds up gradually. Hope it clears up soon. NB