71730members
376313posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3rd breast conserving surgery or mastectomy??

11 REPLIES 11
bevvers

Re: 3rd breast conserving surgery or mastectomy??

Hi ncscooby. I had my 3rd surgery on the 10th and like for you, my recovery is rough this time around. I don't get my results til the 29th but really hoping its 3rd time lucky for me too. So glad yours was.

The thing with this BC is no one prepares you for the headwork and that has def been the trickiest part for me this time around. 3 surgeries in such a short space of time for us both takes its toll on the mind as well as the body?

Hope you are recovering well xx

ncscooby

Hi, I'm a bit late to this but... I was in your position second surgery still no clear margins! My surgeon put masectomy on the table as an option, as a third surgery is a lot to put yourself through, in my case 3 surgeries in 7 weeks.. but I wasn't ready to give up and lose my breast. Turns out third time lucky! I won't lie recovery was tough that time but it was the best decision and I am so glad I went for it, even though people thought I was mad and should 'just have it off' - roll eyes!

I hope you get the outcome you are wanting, good luck xx
Caroluna

Hi Bev

Hope all goes well, xx

bevvers

Hi Cycling Mad. Hope you're recovering ok from your mastectomy and good to hear that it wasn't too traumatic for you. Like you say it's so different for everyone. I've opted for the 3rd go at Breast Conserving Surgery on the 10th June in the hope that I get clear margins but what will be will be. Hope all continues to go well for you. Bev xx

bevvers

Thank you Marli. Fingers crossed! Then I can get on to chemo stage. Cwtches (welsh hugs) right back at ya! xx

CyclingMad

I had a mastectomy in March.  Even though my cancer was caught early, it was in various parts of my boob so suggested immediately that I have a mastectomy with the nipple removed.  It gave me a chance to get my head around it,  and I was able to have an immediate reconstruction which hopefully has got all surgery out of the way at once.  I was so worried about pain, and didn't listen properly when my surgeon told me about the nerves being cut under my breast, so although I did feel uncomfortable afterwards, it wasn't exactly painful.

I had clear margins except against the chest wall, so I'm having radiotherapy, which might affect the implant (it's OK so far).

It's different for you - we're all different - but having a mastectomy really wasn't too traumatic for me.

marli

Hi Bev - glad you have come to a decision. Wishing you loads of luck for clear margins. Hugs. Marli x

bevvers

Hi JAG7 thanks for your reply. In a way I wished that they hadn't given me a choice and had pushed my decision one way of the other but they didn't. I have decided to go for the 3rd lot of breast conserving surgery and hope that this time they get clear margins but what will be will be! Lots of people I have spoken to have said that a mastectomy isn't as bad as they imagined, though some love to tell you the horror stories of their aunts next door neighbours sisters friend!! haha

If this 3rd surgery isn't successful then I will definitely be opting for a mastectomy, though I don't think my surgeon will give me a choice then. Hope you are making a good recovery now? x

bevvers

Hi Marli. Thanks for your reply. You're right no decisions are easy to make, but like you, I have to make the right decision for me. I did get as much information as I could and have decided that I will go for one last shot at breast conserving surgery which is scheduled for next week. My thinking is that if this surgery doesn't get the clear margins then the surgeon has implied that a mastectomy will be the next step, no choice.  I really don't want to put myself through the surgery for the 3rd time but I will in the hope that they obtain the clear margins and I get to keep my breast x

JAG7

Hi Bev. Same thing happened to me last year. Had breast concerving surgery (and reduction on good side which proved to be a total waste of time!!), then they had to go back because they hadn't got clear margins. When I went back for the next results, they recommended mastectomy.

i am glad I had mastectomy now - I think it's best to get rid off all the tissue if it isn't just one lump.

Mastectomy was nowhere near as tough as I expected it to be. Sure I had a couple of wobbles in the first few days but I amazed myself at how quickly I accepted my body etc.

Whatever you decide, good luck. I will be thinking of you

marli

Hi Bev - sorry you are having to make this decision yourself. I had initial dx 2009 and had WLE and ANC as well as chemo etc. In December 2014 had a recurrence and was told I would have to have mastectomy so it was easier for me. Perhaps you need to speak to surgeon, on or BCN for more information about the chances of it working because if there is any chance of it not - do you really want to put yourself through that.

My mastectomy was not as bad as I imagined and I could not have immediate reconstruction because of heart problems due to Herceptin. I have now decided NOT to have reconstruction bu will have revision/reduction surgery later this year.

It is a horrible decision to have to make and I think you need more information.  Good luck.  Marli x

bevvers

3rd breast conserving surgery or mastectomy??

Hi all

I've been back for the results of 2nd  breast conserving surgery today and been told I still haven't got clear margins. I had decided a few days after my 2nd surgery that if I didn't have clear margins again this time that I would opt for a mastectomy. Things are so different when it comes to it tho eh! Now I have the decision to make I am so not decided!! I know everyone has to make the right decisions for themselves but I am so head wrecked! I know that no one else can make this decision for me or tell me the right thing to do I just need to talk to people that understand.

Bev xx