71.2K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 Weeks Post Mastectomy & DIEP Recon - can I bath? Can I use massage oils?

11 REPLIES 11
jillybee

Re: 4 Weeks Post Mastectomy & DIEP Recon - can I bath? Can I use massage oils?

I had a bath in the 4th week,and used aqueous in it,and applied it after.....Why no chocolate???never heard anything like that,ever!!need chocolate,post op.
Alice-bo-balice

Although you can shower ( carefully) I found that the best way to get clean especially around certain areas Smiley Embarassed is with that Nilaqua waterless towel off stuff that you can use for bed (or arm chair) baths. really useful to put where you need it.

HFK1234

Hi lilymole. No eating chocolate? That's more barbaric than the op!!!!! I'm intrigued. What was the reason?
lilymole

Oh poor you. I had to wait nearly 3 months before I could have a bath. I was so longing for the comfort of warm water and relaxing before going to bed. I had necrosis where the boob was cut which took an age to heal. Along with not being able to eat chocolate for two weeks after the surgery ( surgeon's rules!) I learnt to appreciate normal little pleasures that we take so for granted. I am now nearly 6 months post op and believe me you do get through it all and one day soon it will feel like a distant nightmare. Good luck to you.
Nolton9

Thanks for your comment..I didn't feel amazing! ! But I have had two big babies at home (ouch) followed by a c section for our third in the not so distant past..weirdly this kind of prepared me for how my tummy site would feel! (Tho I think my diep recovery is more comparable to getting thrown off a horse at the same time as having a section and starting breast feeding!!! ) but I have recovered far quicker than I dared to ever hope.
Much like home birth most of the hospital meetings, altho useful, did focus on all the possible risks/negatives. I think that's just sadly how they have to protect themselves in current society. I countered that by finding women who had been there and done it and fairly easily found 3 reconstructions in my extended social circle 🙂 I regularly chase them with questions. ..

Lucy_BCC

Hi Nolton9 and welcome to the BCC forums

I am posting a link to the BCC services including our helpline, 'Live chat' and 'Someone like me' which you may find helpful at some point:

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-services

Take care
Lucy BCC

HFK1234

Good morning!

Thanks for your replies.

Wow - Nolton9, I cannot believe that you had a bath on day 2!!!!!!  I was still trying to get over being asked to get into a chair!!!  I remember on day 2 that they said they wanted me to go into a chair and I just couldn't see how that would be possible, so for you to have a bath on day 2 just sounds amazing!  

I didn't even shower until day 4, which was a disaster due to it flooding!  Also I could barely stand so I had to sit on a shower chair, it was such hard work.

My wounds got infected so I am perhaps being over cautious, although saying that, since posting this a couple of days ago, one of the scabs came off and the wound started to bleed, so I think I've decided to hold off for now.

I've started massaging the parts of the wound that seems healed, but steering clear of the open bit.

I think you are quite right about the different advice from different people, which is what makes it so confusing.  

Thanks again for your replies

Take care

H x

Nolton9

Hi,

I had a diep 3 weeks ago. The nurse on day 2 poured me a bath (shallow it has to be said!) I was surprised after alldI'd read but so desperate to be clean, I pretty much threw myself in!! The surgical team (and lots of them visited me over the next couple of days, said "baths ok, just no really long soaks, which makes sense. Personally my tummy scar is high due to the position of my perforators (!) So I fill the bath to below there. Nit a luxurious soak but lovely anyway Smiley Happy

I have been using bio oil in moderation to v lightly massage everything too, just not right on top of my scars just yet. I also take my micropore off every 2/3 days as I find it gets a bit grubby.. the surgeon said to leave it for weeks but the clinic nurse suggested off and a wash every so often. Thats the big point for me going through this recovery, you do get lots of advice from lots of different very knowledgeable folk, just tricky sometimes that they may have slightly different knowledge!!!!! 

Good luck,

Duffer56

Hi H
I had to wait until my scar was healed sufficiently before I started massaging and I tended to have showers for at least a month afterwards rather than a bath.
Unfortunately i had a problem with a leaking seroma so i couldn't massage for a good couple of months.
Duffer56

Hi H
I had to wait until my scar was healed sufficiently before I started massaging and I tended to have showers for at least a month afterwards rather than a bath.
Janet_BCC

Hi HFK1234

This might be something the Helpline could help you with.  They are open from 9-5 on weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays.  The number is 0808 800 6000

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

HFK1234

4 Weeks Post Mastectomy & DIEP Recon - can I bath? Can I use massage oils?

Hi all

I'm now 4 weeks on from having a mastectomy and DIEP recon and am unsure about whether I can bath or use massage oils on my tummy.  I've heard or read that you need to massage your tummy with oils to help with scarring and to prevent thickening underneath (is this correct?) - The thing is when do you do this?

Also, even though I always prefer showers, I am craving a bath at the moment so I can have a good soak - is this adviseable at this point?

My BC nurse is on annual leave right now and doesn't tend to talk about my tummy scar anyway, so I thought I would ask those that are further on than me.

Ta

H x