4 X EC, then 4 x Taxol at 2 week intervals

Hi all,

i have triple negative BC, thankfully caught early, but one node affected. Had WLE & full auxiliary clearance. Unfortunately my situation is complicated by the fact that this was picked up on the first annual check up following WLE for hormone positive BC in the other breast. That one was also caught early and I did not need chemo on that occasion.

My chemo plan is for an accelerated procedure - 4 lots of EC at two week intervals followed by 4 lots of paclitaxel (Taxol ) again at two week intervals. I’m usually quite an upbeat sort of person, but I have been reading up on side effects and am feeling quite low.

Has anyone followed this regime? I should be very grateful to hear of your experiences.

Gracie

Hi Gracie,

I’ve just finished 4 x EC (every three weeks) and am one in of 4 x Taxol (every two weeks).  I did not find the chemo too bad.  I just felt tired for the week after for most of the ECs (but didn’t even feel that for all) and I had no nausea or any other side effects other than the hair loss.  My first lot of taxol has also been fine, just a couple of days of aching bones but nothing too bad.  I have been fasting during chemo so that may have helped (though hard to say obviously).

Everyone finds chemo different but I wouldn’t worry too much about it.  You just need to take it as it comes really and keep your fingers crossed!

Hi Gracie

I was diagnosed Oct 6th last year im now back at work it’ll he a crazy few months but life will get back to normal x so to quote Dory just keep swimming.

I had 3 x EC at 3 weekly intervals and 12 weekly paclitaxel and I had more or less no side effects apart from not getting along with the steroids post chemo on EC and having a down day or 2 because of those I was OK and once I switched the paclitaxel I didnt have steroids.
I only had very mild constipation that never lasted more than a couple of days on EC, I was sick just once but think it was a bug not chemo and I had the odd headache but nothing I may not have had anyway without chemo. I had one night of really bad aches but put that down to herceptin,

I had the odd day of feeling tired but I was up showered , dressed ,cooked, cleaned and looked after a v sick relative every day so I was never that ill I couldnt function. Ok maybe I had the odd 9pm bedtime but no bed bound all day or unable to look after myself or others.

I am not saying I ever want to do it again but I was OK I just got my head down and got on with it.

The thought of it is lots worse than the actual chemo in most cases but you get a skewed view as the ladies who are well during chemo post less.

Be kind to yourself , plan for easy lazy days , have pizza for tea etc , expect the odd ready/cheat meal, plan treats for regular intervals and days out where possible. You are in a scary place right now in your life but just hang on in there and itll be OK xx

Take care

Jen x