cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 weeks off work and asking for acess to gp records

8 REPLIES 8

Re: 4 weeks off work and asking for acess to gp records

Hi happy73,
Check your house insurance. Some come with free access an employment lawyer.
I don't think they can look at your records. I think they are just trying to make you feel threatened.
Nasty! And not what you need right now.
Hope you get a treatment sorted out soon.

Best wishes
Ruth

Guest user
Not applicable

Thank you everyone. Just get the feeling that a they dont believe im ill and b want to get rid of me,

http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Documents/GetInvolved/Campaigns/WorkingThroughCancer/EqualityAct2010workhomepage.pdf

oops forgot the link to a very useful booklet that deals with medical records access on p17

Hi happy....what a horrible situation to be in. Not a legal expert but have worked with HR and OH for years (until 6 years ago) dealing with employee issues. As far as I remember access to employee medical records are protected by law. Don't think this has changed as it was driven by the data protection act. Your employer can access your medical records only with your consent. Before your GP responds to any letter (after consent has been given) they have to be satisfied that what is being asked is relevant. You can either refuse, agree that your GP can answer directly to HR, or ask that your GP sends you their response first. Great advice to contact ACAS or CAB who will know the most current legislation. If you are not a union member it may be worth having a conversation woth your local rep to make an informed decision about whether it might be beneficial to join a union if you think your employer may be difficult. Remember that woth a cancer diagnosis you are protected under the Equality Act.....Macmillan has some great advice, link posted below. Hope some of that helps, as you really don't need this aggro right now...take care 🙂
http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Cancerinformation/Livingwithandaftercancer/Workandcancer/Supportforemployees/Workcancer/Workcancer.aspx

I'm no expert but I don't think they nave the right to see your gp records. I thought as long as your gp had signed you off that was enough. When I was having problems with work Macmillan were able to give me advice and gave me the phone number for ACAS.

Hi Happy
No real help from me either but ACAS may be able to point you in the right direction?? They have a website so may be worth a look!
I do hope you sort something out
Good Luck

Jill

Hi Happy, sorry I can't give you an answer to your question, but have you thought of contacting the Citizens Advice Bureau. They may be able to give you an answer, or perhaps point you in the right direction for advice. Sorry can't be much more help. Best of luck Pat x
Guest user
Not applicable

Can anyone help with employment law . Or where to go for advice
Guest user
Not applicable

4 weeks off work and asking for acess to gp records

I was originally dianosed in2010 and had 10 months off during 2 ops chemo rads but went back onphased return during herceptine.
My sick record has been fine since. However 6weeks ago I started feeling strange, lack of concentration, migrains and cronic fatigue. My gp inially signed me off for 4 weeks while under investigation. Initially my hr manager was shoeing signs of concern and advised me to take as much time as necessary to ensure I am fit for work.
2weeks ago I had a home visit where I was askdif the scan and bloods were fine then what exactky was wrong with me and they then went on to arrange a return to work plan, even though I said I was still feeling dizzy and fatigued.
My manager rang for a catch uo on monday and I advised that was still not significantly imoroved after rest and needed to go back to the gp before returning to work. Today my go has signed me off for another 4 weeks as I have to go back to the oncologist on the 7th and not had a formal diagnosis or treatment plan.
I have kept my manage rinformed every step of the way as to gp appointments and hospital visits. And have recieved a letter from thr hr deoartment requesting access to my gp files. I feel very angry that I have been completely ooen and honest at every stage and they are aware that I havent seen the consultant yet for a treatment plan or infact had any formal diagnosis, yet they want access to my go files.
Has any exoerienced any thing similar or knowif they are allowed to do this. I dont have a union and as I dont have much energy not sure where to turn gor legal advise. I