48 hours since my diagnosis - and now its snowing...

Hello from the West Midlands.

Today’s weather reflects my feelings perfectly - bright sunshine i the morning, though cold; this afternoon it goes grey and starts snowing.

A couple of weeks ago I was a person with a lump awaiting investigation, so still lots of non-malignant possible explanations (that’s the sun-plus-cold-breeze bit). Last Friday afternoon I was told that, after all the tests, I have definitely got invasive breast cancer and was promptly booked in for a radical mastectomy on 12th Feb (and that, in case you hadn’t worked it out, is heavy snow with the possibility of more dodgy weather to come…).

Very focussed on practicalities at the moment, making lists, booking moggy into cattery etc but it all feels so flippin’ unreal. Anyone else in same boat at present/very recently please?

Hi Rosie Womble

Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care forums. I am sorry to read of your recent diagnosis, I am sure you will receive lots of replies fromother users but, in the meantime I thought you may find our resource pack helpful, it has been designed for those newly diagnosed. If you would like a copy just follow the link below to order a copy:

breastcancercare.org.uk//content.php?page_id=7514

In addition to the valuable support you will receive here, if you feel it would help to talk to someone in confidence about your upcoming treatment or any other concerns you may have, then please give the helpline a call, the staff here are all either breast care nurses or people who have personal experience of breast care issues. They can offer you a listening ear, support and information about other services we can offer you to help you through this difficult time. The number to call is 0808 800 6000 the lines open Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm and Saturdays 9am - 2pm.

The following link will also take you to some of our publications about breast cancer and younger women which you may find useful to read, you can order them online or via the helpline on the number above:

breastcancercare.org.uk/content.php?page_id=5256

I hope this is of some help to you.

Kind regards.

Louise

Hi Rosie,

I am 2 years on but still like to support others - particularly those of us in the West Midlands - which part are you from and what hospital are you under?

Clarabelle

hi rosie - I was diagnosed on 7th jan and just had lumpectomy and node sampling last wednesday - so I know what you mean…your mind doesn’t stop does it - esp when you get to bed…my gp gave me some sleeping tablets to help me sleep the first few nights - I only took half the one night and it really helped me rest…life changes big time and nothing feels the same. I had awful mini panic sessions where I just needed to talk to someone and rang the helpline just to hear a voice…do you have kids and where are you?? I’m nr shrewsbury way just into Wales…keep talking, mary x

Can’t tell you how relieved I feel to make this connection.

Although I’m not in panic mode just yet, I know its likely to kick in at some point hence joining the community now. I just have this feeling of unreality, like I am going to wake up and find the last couple of weeks were just a very vivid dream.

Location etc - I’m a few miles outside Wolverhampton; no children or partner, just an elderly moggy, but with some great friends who are already aware and being supportive. None of them have had BC so can’t share the way you ladies can.

Hi Rosie,
as you are on your own I am sure you would benefit from meeting woman in the situation as yourself at the support group at New Cross - their next meeting is on Wednesday 11th Feb - find it at… cancercarewolverhampton.nhs.uk/08groups/local.htm
Clarabelle xx

Hi Clarabelle
Not sure if I can make that one, as it the night immediately before admission - and they want me at New Cross at 7am (eeek!!!) but once I am mobile again I’ll certainly come to the meetings. I joined a support group (of a very different kind) a couple of years ago and found it very helpful while I ploughed my way through a difficult situation.
Rosie

Hi Rosie, I hope like me you are glad you have found this place, I find it a real comfort to be able to chat to women who have gone or are going through the same experience. I got my diagnosis last Thursday and have option of lumpectomy or mastectomy, got my op on 22nd feb and all I know is its a grade 2 and they will remove some lymph nodes too. It’s all so mad cos when you have any other “illness” you actually feel ill, I feel fine, well, apart from the fact that my head is mince. I’ve been keeping as busy as a mad thing,my friends reations have been mixed, was at a local swimming gala that my girls take part in, I always make scones for it, got lots of sympathetic glances,wanted to shout at them, yes I’ve got cancer but I’m no different to how I was before I knew and it hasn’t affected my ability to make scones !Right enough maybe it hasn’t quite sunk in yet and will probably be a different stoty after my op and treatment but i’m just trying to keep everything as close to normal as I can at the moment.Just trying to take it a day at a time. Big hugs to you,we will get through this together.

Hi Sandra

You’ve hit the nail on the head there - its so weird feeling perfectly healthy but knowing what we know! A friend likened it to a ‘phony war’ when hostilities have been declared but no actual fighting is going on (yet).

I’m trying to make the most of it, filling the freezer, cleaning windows, to make life as easy as possible post-op.

However, I do keep finding myself glaring at the affected boob and asking it ‘why this? why now?’ like its going to explain or apologise or something… daft, or waht?

Rosie

Hi Rosie,

Womble (cat?) looks lovely - and will help you through. Felix suddenly seemed more understanding when it happened to me. Still seems a bit surreal now, and not yet properly sunk in despite surgery in December and first session of chemo (hope you won’t need this, though not anything like so bad so far as I thought it would be).

Bright x

Hi, I am from Wolverhampton too and under NX. I was diagnosed in December and have had a mastectomy. I start chemo 18th Feb. I am 39, married with 2 kids and a dog. All so surreal can’t believe it happening really. Feel well apart from pain in arm after op. My op was quick and home within 24 hours of op, care was good, so sure it will be good for you too. Wishing you all the luck in the world
x

Hi to anyone out there who is at the ‘reading but not joining’ stage, can I urge you to take the plunge? I’m SOOOO glad I did!!

I’d also like to say a public ‘thank you’ to everyone who has already responded, either via this thread or the off-line private message system.

Having my pre-op appointment tomorrow morning, so will have to dredge up all the relevant bits of medical history - that will be deep joy…
Hugs to all,
Rosie x

Hi Rosie - I grew up not far from Wolverhampton, in Penkridge. I’m in Suffolk now, though. I’m not too far ahead of you in this weird journey - I’ve had the lumpectomy and waiting for a stubborn wound to heal before I start chemo, hopefully in a couple of weeks. The waiting is the hard bit - once you get into the treatment process and feel as if something is being done to make you better it gets a bit easier to deal with in your head.

Not great. This could never be anything but rotten, but you do get past the panicking head-spinning stage I remember all too very well from 6 1/2 loooong weeks ago!

Hi Rosie
Good luck with the pre-op tomorrow. It’s easy enough. I had WLE and lymphs on Christmas Eve and have just started chemo. Really glad you found the site as there is so much support here from everybody. Never hesitate to voice your weirdest thoughts and feelings, including the talking boob scenario! That must make for some interesting trips round the supermarket. :smiley:

Good evening Rosie,

The pre-op is really straightforward - just things like blood pressure, height weight, whether you have any loose teeth, and urine sample. And the surgery honestly is much easier than I thought, suprised I woke up in little pain.

Hope Abbie is behaving - and playing nicely with her toys and not scratching you.

Bright x

Hi everyone
Pre-op now done,and suddenly its starting to feel a bit more real - this time next week I’ll be packing my overnight bag…

So many forms that all the various staff have to complete, I shudder to think how many trees get chopped down for it (… and now you know why I get called ‘Womble’).

Hugs to everyone for support, it is invaluable.
Rosie

Oooh I’m envious of you with only a week to go, I’ve got 19 days !!! Arrgghh !!! Am afraid I’m not a patient patient, just want to get on with it all now,am making lists of lists, thats quite good and organised,not doing anything constructive with them , makes me feel better though.Keeping busy but not acheiving much and feel a bit knackered.
Just a thought how we are “lucky” to have each other here,three cheers for the internet,how on earth did people cope before ? Must have been a whole lot more difficult.
Going to do some baking, therapeutic and practical too !

Love and scones

Sandra x

Hi Rosie,

Glad the pre-op went well, and I know what you mean about the forms. Still in a week it will all be over.

I had an uneventful day - just made it into work, despite the icy streets. Left early as more snow is predicted - though no sign of this yet.

Tomorrow I am visiting a lady registered on this site - who has just had a mastectomy in the Marsden.

Take care Bright x

hi Rosie,

Like you just been told I have an invasive cancer and going back to
hospital for full explanation in the morning. It hits you like a ton of bricks. I am worried about having to wait another 4 weeks for the surgery, what is happening whilst you are waiting etc. My husband is walking
round in a trance like state and keeps on telling me about people who had scares, but theres turned out to be benign, which is totally different than my diagnosis.

In the space of a week, I have already been planning my own funeral, wondering whether I will be around to see my children get married and whether my husband will be left on his own to cope with 3 teenge girls!

hi marble - been thinking about you - I went yesterday for what I thought was just drainage of troublesome wound area and got told results - even though I had appt for next wed for them - not all were back but enough to knock me over again!! Cons had thought I’d get away with just radiotherapy but due to age (43 he says I’m young, such a nice man) and stage 3 so chemo gets added…so we hadn’t thoguht of loads of q’s as we didn’t know we were getting the bloomin’ results!! Anyway, saves us a visit next week!! Mary x