333232posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5 years after very large tumour and lymph node involvement

13 REPLIES 13

Re: 5 years after very large tumour and lymph node involvement

Thank you for taking the time to post, ladies. you are totally inspirational.
I had grade 2 multifocal IDC ER+ and will be one year cancer free on 19 Aug. I will always post to help and encourage others tooSmiley Happy
big hugs
x x x

hello to everyone on here!

Sorry it's taken me an age to respond to the lovely comments on here but I lost my password!  It's great to see some familiar names and others that haven't posted much.

It is encouraging to hear that so many are doing well.  I would agree that I'm not the same person as I used to be.  I was a very confident person before I was diagnosed and lost that during treatment.  But, on the plus side, I think I enjoy life much more than I used to and particularly the simple things.  I sometimes see people that seemingly have everything and yet are miserable or bemoaning such little things and I think to myself that going through the breast cancer diagnosis and treatment has made appreciate so much more.

We're all different and getting confidence back can take a lot of time.  When I think back to how I was a year down the line to how I am now there's such a difference.  But for me it's been a very gradual process with setbacks along the way.  I do push myself but in a gentle way!

I wish all of you lots of good things for the future.  keep well everyone!  Elinda xxx

Hi all

Lovely to read this thread.  I'm at the 5 year point also.  Large tumour, node involvement and "the works".  Have an appt for annual mammogram soon so am fervently hoping all will continue to be well.

Although I didn't look at stuff on forums until I was some way down the line, I too gained strength in the early days from hearing about people who had made it out the other side of diagnosis, surgery and treatment and were enjoying their lives years for many years afterwards. 

Thank you for sharing. 

Hey Road Runner, lovely to hear from you and to ehar you too are fit , Nicola

Hi Elinda & Moorcow, glad to hear you are both doing so well.  I don't often come on here anymore, but am currently nearly 7 1/2 years on.  I had a recon in 2010, LD flap using skin from my back so I'm a bit of a patchwork, but I have finally got to the point where I don't care about that in the gym's communal changing rooms. 

Gilly - you're still a bit in limbo, waiting for your recon, but once that is all over you really can start to move on.  It won't happen overnight, it may take a few more years, but gradually it all recedes into the past.

Best of luck with recon Gilly - my confidence has regrown month by month, it wasn't terrible at 20 months but not that good either. Diagnosis is such a shock its no surprise it takes us a while to regroup and find out who the new us is! It will come back I promise - I even change in the public bit of women's changing rooms at the pool now - amazing!

Morning Elinda  Moorcow  & Nanjan

Thankyou for taking the time to post.  So pleased that you ladies are doing so well.  I think i have already acknowledged that i will never be the same person again but i like to think i might be a new improved version.  I certainly have a different perspective on most things now.  I am only 20 months from diagnosis and just waiting for reconstruction so am still a bit fragile / feel like i've lost my confidence somehow so it really 'gladdens my heart' to hear from you ladies 5 years on doing great.

Keep well and enjoying life to the full....  Take Care   Gilly x     

Hey janipi, congratulations to you too! Nicola

I remember you too. I was diagnosed Nov 2010.  I'll never be the old me again and have permanent hairloss after chemo but very grateful to be feeling well. I will never take my health for granted ever again. Thanks for sharing Smiley Happy (janipi)

Highlighted

Hi Nicola

Likewise, I remember you!  So pleased to hear you're doing well too!

Thank you for your lovely message.  No prizes I'm afraid except the best one of all - being here!

I understand your irritation with the lymphoedema  as I also developed that 4 years ago.  It gets me down sometimes but I try not to let it.  That's really the only thread I keep a check on these days when I can find it! 

take care

Elinda xx

HI Elinda,

I remember you so well, I was diagnosed 4.5 years ago now. I am so delighted you are doing so well - many congratulations. I hope someone has given you a prize for sheer determination in the face of lots of curve balls!

I am fine, irritated by my lymphodema that came up at 2 years but others really fine.

All the best

Nicola / Moorcow

Hi J

That's so lovely of you to say that, thank you for letting me know.

Hope all is going well for you.  As you say, here's to the next 5 years - for all of us!

Hi Elinda,
Congratulations on reaching 5 years and thank you for telling us about it. I too had a large lump and lymph node involvement when I was diagnosed just over a year ago. I searched this site for inspiration from other ladies who had been in a similar situation, and I remember seeing your name on threads about diet. I just wanted to say hi and let you know how much you had helped me without knowing it.
Here's to the next 5 years! Jxx

5 years after very large tumour and lymph node involvement

It's very rare I post or visit the forum these days but I thought it might be helpful to some to hear that I've reached my 5 years and been discharged from hospital today.

My initial lump was 8cm x 6cm and I had 9 out of 17 nodes involved.  Not great!  I had the works - chemo, surgery, rads and now hormone therapy.  I honestly wasn't sure I'd ever reach my 5 years and not sure my doctors were either but here I am. 

I survived a severe reaction to chemo and then blood clots and neutropenic sepsis and endured months of seromas, my wound reopening etc.  I've gone through menopause because of treatment but can't tolerate AIs so I'm continuing on tamoxifen.

So no matter how hard it is, I'd say to anyone going through treatment please stick with it.  It is worth it!!  I can honestly say that I'm never ever blase about cancer but at the same time I don't give it much thought anymore. 

Take care and good wishes to everyone going through treatment and those who have finished treatment too.  Elinda xxx