cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5 yrs

17 REPLIES 17
horace

Re: 5 yrs

Annie that is amazing and I will raise a glass to you on the 10th 🙂 I discussed the Canadian research wth my oncologist and he said that with tnbc it is more aggressive in first couple of years then slowly risk of recurrence/secondaries begins to level out until 5 years when it is on a par with +++ tumours-it stays there till about 8 years when there is a sharp decline in risk with recurrence being unusual but not impossible.However he stressed that tnbc wasnt really identified as such until a few years ago so the stats are largely based on theory and small samples of women who took part in trials in Canada.
I still hold on to 8 years as a sort of 'magic' figure and people like you Annie give the reast of us such a boost-thank you for telling us.
Valxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

thankyou all trip neg ladies doing so well i cant even dare to hope for the success u are having but you inspire me keep it upx

annieE

Dear Horace

I am also triple negative and my eight years will be up on March 10th! Can't really believe it is eight years almost since my op. - the time has just disappeared. I am not sure if eight years is really significant - my oncologist was very dismissive when I spoke to him about it - but I am certainly going to celebrate getting there in a couple of weeks time!

best wishes

Anne

lincs_lady

thanks for all the input ladies
i wont be 5 yrs for a good while yet
op was sep 09

horace

My five will be up on 24th October [date of my op]-as I am triple negative I feel that 8 years has much more significance but 5 will be a nice start :)Fingers crossed for all the 2006 gang xxxxx

valxx

Laraine

My 5 years is up in August then. Yippee!!!
Love Laraine xx

moorcow

HI cherub,
was typing as you posted, so apologies for seeming to have ignored your post, 5 years from surgery then, thanks for that, Nicola

moorcow

Lincslady,
Well done for getting to the 5 year anniversary of any part of this whole horribleness. I've decided to take my anniversary from the start of my tamoxifen since we are on it for 5 years - and it happens to be my sisters birthday so I can remember the date...
my OH is actually an oncologist so if I remember I will ask tonight what the doctor's view of the 5 years is and will post again,
best Nicola

cherub

When I asked the oncologists, they told me remission is classed as being from the day the surgeon removes the cancer. My 5 years is up in early November. Nearly 2 years ago we took out a small amount of mortgage, plus critical illness/life insurance for my husband as we have a business. The financial guy we use said I'd be able to get life insurance at the end of my 5 year remission period.

stressy_messy

Hi I have been looking around for life insurance and have been told to try again after May when I will be 3 years post treatment as they take the all clear from end of treatment.

Best wishes Melxx

Guest user
Not applicable

wll I would agree with ALexG, when your treatment started.
S

elaine_r

Meant to say feb 2010

elaine_r

I only had mx in sept i started treatment in feb so when did my 5yrs begin

Guest user
Not applicable

I thought it was from the operation, which in my case came first, so I think AlexG is right (although I can't remember where I read/heard this)
Sarah

elaine_r

Heres wishing im being very good ha ha one year on from dia long way to go yet

Guest user
Not applicable

I think it is five years from start of treatment. It is a bit like having a prison sentence, eh? Will we have time off for good behavior?

AlexG

elaine_r

Not sure but cant wait, will there be such a thing as normality again will look forward to the replies

lincs_lady

5 yrs

hello all,
the magical 5 yrs we are all aiming for, does it start from dx or after treatment has finished