500 members and a twitter account!!! Younger Breast Cancer Network (UK) update July 2013

Hi everybody,

In October last year I set up a secret Facebook group for younger women (pre national screening age) in the UK. It started as a way to link girls living locally to me in Manchester together but within a day or two me and my friends from the BCC chat forums(Midge and Brad Pitt’s wife2b) realised we needed to extend it nationally because we were literally swamped with requests from ladies across the country.

Well, it’s gone from strength to strength and yesterday, just 9 months after we started, we added our 500th member! Now I’m not impressed thatso many young women have found themselves on the wrong side of a breast Cancer diagnosis, but I am so very pleased that these women have a place where they can find each other and chat in private, as peer support is vital. It’s so hard to be so much younger than everybody else at the breast unit and it is instantly reassuring to be surrounded by women going through what you have gone through. We have members in their 20s, 30s and early to mid 40s, and through all four corners of the UK and now to Ireland too. We also have various active subgroups now, for those ladies with recurrencies, secondaries, who are moving on after treatment and those who want to chat about research. I’ve now got a great team of members who help with all the admin and joining people as it was just too busy to keep up!

To mark our 500th member we have just launched our twitter account, @YBCN_UK, and one of the hopefully helpful things we are doing is posting photos of member’s hair loss, hair regrowth, scarves, hats and also cold cap success stories. Use the hashtag #YBCNhairwatch to have a nosy!

New members are welcome, just message us on the private message button on our Facebook page so we can start getting you added. Here’s the link to follow-

Thanks for reading. Please come and like our Facebook page so we can keep extending the awareness raising we are working on and pleasefollow us on twitter too! And a big thanks to BCC who have supported us from the very outset and provided advice and reassurance when things have got tough, and allowed us to reach new members who may need us via their forum. A super big thanks.

Vickie

To mark our

*Bump to put on main forum*

X

BUMP well done Vicki on all you have/are doing for bringing BC issues to the forefront for younger women xxx Jacq

Thank you too. As a younger secondary lady I have found great support in our secondary forum which is growing (sadly).

Just bumping in case anyone would like to be added.

dx

finally getting twitter sorted so will look forward to all the tweets soon :slight_smile:

Hi there,
Just joined - can’t seem to access the Facebook page. I’m 30, finished treatment in Oct last year and would love to connect with the younger women’s group. If someone could help that would be great. Thanks, Betsy

Just updating…,…we now have 1500 members, I wish so many young women werent eligible to join us though.