6 months after chemo

Hello ladies. Just wondering if anyone is having nail problems? I had FEC-T, which I finished July 2014 and lost all but 4 of my nails even though I used cuticle creams and a good quality hand cream. Now 6 months after finishing chemo, surgery and rads I still have problems with my nails splitting and flaking. I take vitamins and minerals specifically for nails, use a Leighton Denny nail therapy and Clarins hand cream. I also use almond oil and eat almonds on a daily basis. I am at a loss to know what else I can do and wonder if anyone else has had the same problem. Also my hair is still only about half an inch long and my eyebrows are very sparse so wonder if their could be any connection. Oh and I started taking Anastrozole in November so could this be a side effect as I know it can cause hair thinning. Thank you for reading my thread.

Hormone treatment can cause thinning as a side effect. Be patient though - it may take a little while for your nails to get back to normal. Your body has been through a taxing time, and also regrowth rates can vary from person to person. Try to eat healthily. Perhaps your doctor could give some advice regarding your nails  too. Best of luck, hope you see some improvement soon:)

Hi SML
I finished chemo in August…(and taking anastrazole)and it is only now that my finger nails are now normal… but as I type my toe nail is about to drop off…old nail still recovering from treatment. My hair is now about 3 inches long… most people have growth of 1/2 inch per month…my legs are now like a yeti…eye brows need regular plucking lol. It will take time but sure it will all come back x

Hi SML, I’m 6 months on from T-FEC chemo, I then had radiotherapy and tamoxifen, but may be able to reassure you that it is ok, you are normal, it’s a pain in the bum and ok for it to annoy you. Did your hair/nails grow quickly prior to treatment? Mine did and it’s not much longer, although I’m using my husbands hair clippers now to keep it short as, as soon as it gets chance, it seems to want to go into uncortrollable curls. I can see it’s filling in, but there are a lot of very short stubbly bits which have not grown from my first ‘buzz’ when it was falling out, but it looks like a haircut choice now, doesn’t cost me anything, doesn’t need styling and I can see it improving. The fine hair (lighter colour) isn’t growing yet so it looks a bit darker than it used to. so it you have lighter finer hair… I used the emoliant cream on my hair as a shampoo and leave in conditioner until very recently and now use coconut oil as a leave in conditioner which is great. I thought my nails were going as they half lifted off, but they reattached themselves?! Cutting them short and using a nail serum really helps. Any sort of detergant, be it soap or cleaning products really dries them, so I use disposable gloves all the time. Also eating enough protein and drinking lots of water helps the hair, nails and skin. I’m still using my own moisturiser concoction of emolient cream and baby oil as moisturisers take off the top layer of dead skin to give the smooth feel and don’t really add any moisture and actually made my skin dryer overall, so the hand cream may not be helping. Hope something in this helps you x