cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6 or 8 treatments. What's the criteria

7 REPLIES 7
Lola65

Re: 6 or 8 treatments. What's the criteria

I think one of the criteria is your general health and how you might tolerate the various drugs. Also, sometimes when you have more cycles the strength of each drug is reduced, so you end up having the same amount but over a longer period.
Morwenna is right, your oncologist should explain the pros and cons and why he made the decision he did.
3network3

I had a 7cm IBC with lymphnode involvment and was given 3 FEC and 3Tax pre-op, I asked my onc why I get 6 and not 8 chemos and she said she would treat me according to the European PACT trial and she would follow what leading cancer clinics do in the UK. Didn't instill a lot of confidence in me I have to say but that's it. So I don't really think it has to do with how big or aggressive etc, at least not at my local hospital!

Mateface67

I had 8 chemo sessions first as my tumour was quite large (45mm) and had spread to lymph nodes. They thought it was quite aggressive as it didn't show up as a lump; a cyst had formed around the cancer and my breast went from being normal size to hard as a balloon overnight. Ifit hadn't been for the cyst I don't know at what point I would have felt the lump. Don't know if this helps answer your question but good luck with the treatment.
Morwenna

I had surgery first, then 4 AC, then 12 weekly taxol!!

I think it is also to do with grade and stage. Your oncologist should discuss the treatment options with you and explain the rationale .....
Guest user
Not applicable

I had chemo first but only had six, think it may have something to do with how well you respond to the chemo? Not really sure.

Moonbeam
Guest user
Not applicable

I was told 6 treatments if you have surgery first, and 8 if it's chemo. Yet again, I would imagine it varies between hospitals. (I had 7)
Littlescoot

Bumps
Littlescoot

6 or 8 treatments. What's the criteria

Hi
from reading various posts some people seem to have a course of 6 treatments and some have 8. Anyone know what the difference in criteria is please.
Hugs to everyone

LS XX