7 months on and still stiff and tight under arm

Hi everyone, I was diagnosed with DCIS in January, mx end of Feb with reconstruction using mesh and implant, SNB was clear so no chemo or radio but they did find a small invasive tumour so I’m on tamoxifen for 5 years. I have recovered very well, been back at work since end of April, back to exercise etc but this last week I seem to have had more stiffness under the arm and twinges in the foob than I’ve had for a while. I haven’t been religiously doing the exercises they gave us post op recently as I thought there was no need to continue but I’m thinking perhaps I should have done. How have others got on in terms of recovery ? Does this stiffness and soreness and weakness of chest muscles ever go away? I’m beginning to suspect it doesn’t despite my surgeon telling me I’ll get back to how I was in terms of strength eventually. Not sure I believe him! I’d appreciate knowing how others have got on 6 months plus post op. Thanks Nic x

I had double mastescomy in January 2014 followed with breast reconstruction in September 2014.  They tested lymphy nodes in both arm pits during the double mastecomy.  I decided to start Crossfit in July 2015 since I lost so much strength and mobility.  My crossfit is modified for me.  I do what exercises I can at my pace.  But I have noticed an increase in my mobility. It has been a good thing for me both physically and mentally.  Not saying that crossfit is for everyone but getting daily exercise has made a HUGE difference in my life and outlook on the future.

Hi Nicholas

I was diagnosed with DCIS in Feb and had mastectomy and reconstruction in April. Same here tissue and nodes test clear so no need for Chemo or Radio.

I still feel stiff with a sometime achy feeling I’m the underarm and down the arm and wondered if this ever got better. Also have twinges in the affected breast will this also ever get better?

About 5 weeks ago I overstretched and my back area (ribs) was so tender after then 10 days later the soreness moved around to my breast area which prompted a visit to my GP.  Have you experienced anything like this or has anyone else?

I also still cannot sleep on either side so have to sleep on my back but slightly propped up.  Is this normal and will it get any better as a result of sleeping like this I don’t get a quality sleep through feeling constantly uncomfortable.

Underwear is also still an issue as I can bear anything being remotely restricted on my affected area. I tend to wear camisole tops with hidden support which aren’t always the best under certain clothes

Apologies if this seems like one long moan I seemed to have turned into a whinging moaner and just want to feel like I did 6 months ago.

Any hints tips or advice will be greatly appreciated xx

Hi all. I had left mx with immediate recon sept 14. I did the exercises religiously and returned to yoga 4-5 times a week 3 weeks post op. I’ve always had pretty good arm movement although did suffer with cording and have had physio to resolve this.

I’ve subsequently had 2 further ops, one to remove infected implant at Christmas, then replacement in may and 21 rads in July.

I’ve kept up the exercise but over the last month my left arm and breast feel heavy and tight which onc says is rads effect. No lymphodema.

I have been sleeping on my front for some time. After the ops I was propped up on pillows for several weeks, but gradually it got easier. The used to lie on my side with a pillow supporting my left arm and breast.

Keep doing the exercises. I also got back to swimming, combat and horse riding post chemo so it definitely works to keep active!

Anniewol, if your prosthesis is uncomfortable have you tried knittedknockers.com? They make lovely soft cotton ones to order.

Anniewol i just wanted to say about the Letrozole,i managed it for 20 days and then stopped as it was making me so poorly. It made me feel so tired,plus the hot flushes and a burning sensation under my skin.I also had the feeling of ants running around under my skin which can happend to some people. I also couldnt tolerate Tamoxifen.

I took advice from my oncologist and he explained the statistics to me and the chances of the cancer returning so i have decided to take nothing and have a better quality of life. The hot flushes are still really troublesome but ive been having reflexology for them.Give that a go.

We are all individuals and i have to hope i have made the right decision for me.Its taken a while but things are starting to settle down again and im 7 months on from rads.

Hi shomolad thank so much for reaching out and to everyone else.
Firstly I’ve been given the all clear. I haven’t had my reconstruction yet as they said I still need chemotherapy for 18 weeks? How come I have to have that when they have said you don’t? Sorry I question everything that feels uncomfortable. I really don’t want to go through this chemo. How ever they said it’s important as a mop up just in case anything did get out of the tumour in my breast.
Can anyone please please say if you’ve been given the all clear but still had to have chemo aftet as a precaution?? Also they have said I won’t need radio therapy but I will have to go on a hormone replacement drug for the rest of my life. Has anyone else had this? Thanks xxx