7 weeks since radiotherapy finished

well it’s 7 weeks (7 1/2 actually) since I finished radiotherapy and I’m still having problems with my nipple. I’m still getting awful tickling and I’m still scabbed over, keep going bright red then scabbing again. Has any one else taken this long to heal, is it normal or should I go and get it checked out? Is that a stupid question?
My GP said keep aired (hmm, now that’s easy to do in work)clean and dry, he advised not to put anything on the scabs and said it will clear but no sign of improvement yet and infact no change at all since a month ago. My “sun tan” has peeled and dropped off although my boob still is “brown”, looks like it’s been to Barbados, I wish…

Oh poor you!
Maybe you should contact your onc or rads dept as 7 weeks is a long time.
I burnt quite badly and was told to slap on aqueous cream.The nurse told me to spread it on a dressing like butter and slap it on my boob.Its not the most pleasant feeling all gooey but it DOES work.
It softens the scabs while allowing the skin to heal.
Good luck,
Dot
xxx

Hi Katie, I would contact onc or rads dept as dotchas said 7 weeks is a long time. I am trying to remember how long mine took to heal but I know it was less than 8 weeks. My boob was brown for quite along time then peeled and normal skin then appeared underneath.If your skin is very sensitive you made need something else to put onto it. Get it checked for your own peace of mine. I certainly don’t think you are being stupid.

Rachy xxx cafe Nero sometime soon ???

Thanks Ladies!

I called BCN, rather than rads and onc, because I was going to the hospice for a treatment, she said to go in so they could check me out.
I’ve come away with a honey dressing on my nipple plus four more to use and a tube of stuff to put on! I’ve to go back in 2 weeks for another check to see what’s going on. Hopefully this will see to it.

My BCN is also going to chase up my post treatment check up with the Onc as I should have had it last week apparently… whoops forgot about that one being due, so busy trying not to think about anything before my first 12 week check!!

Definately Cafe Nero soon, in the next couple of weeks? I’ll check my appointments and put a date on the “in our area” forum.

Thanks again for feedback, didn’t like to ask “them that doesn’t know/not been here” in case they thought I was being stupid/a hyperchondriac (spelling?)…

Katie x x x

I didnt have that problem but I did find 99% aloe vera gel useful.

I’m nearly 3 years on from rads and my breast still turns a salmon pink shade intermittently. It is actually noticeable I’m a different colour on my left side.

Thanks Jenny and Cherub.

Unfortunately I can’t use Aloe Vera, although I’ve heard from other people it’s good, as I’m allergic to it, very difficult when people have it in their loo paper!!

Today everything is looking a lot better, my nipple is only half scabbed… amazing what a bit of honey can do!