68457members
360149posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7 years out and have a query about Tamoxifen. 10 years not 5.

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted

Re: 7 years out and have a query about Tamoxifen. 10 years not 5.

Hi all,

There is another thread on the Hormone Therapy forum http://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Hormone-therapy/Tamoxifen-for-10-years/m-p/747562#U747562 with more detail about the ATLAS study and being on Tamox for 10 years.

I was fortunate enough to have my annual check up with my Onc in Dec 13 just as I hit my 5 year point and the ATLAS study had been endorsed. I didn't need to even ask if i could stay on it for 10 years, he offered it to me straight away. I know from the other thread that others have gone back on it after a short break at the 5 year point becasue they've seen their Onc/GP so I suggest anyone in this situation gets themselves an appointment to discuss their options.

HTH,

Bella x

Highlighted

Hi

I only know about the research done for Tamoxifen. Maybe someone on this forum may know. Good luck with all your treatment.

Highlighted

I'm on Tamoxifen since good two years, but because I get my ovaries out they will stop the Tam and put me for three years on Letrozole.  Is there only a chance of having hormone treatment for 10 years when on Tam or is it with other meds the same?

Thanks 3N3

Highlighted

Thanks for posting. Thanks for your comments and advice. Will be thinking of you and hope you keep well. x

Smiley Happy

Highlighted

I am on Exemestane and have been told to stay on it for 10 years.  Initially I was told 5, then 7 and I was looking forward to finishing it in November!  Unlike the trials for 10 years of Tamoxifen, which I understand are complete, the trials on the Aromatase Inhibitors are not yet concluded, so I don't think that it is a general recommendation yet to stay on AIs for 10 years, but my oncologisat is being cautious as I had an extremely aggressive cancer.

Highlighted

Thanks for this - let us hope that NICE make the recommendations! Seeing my GP soon so will asked to be referred back to my oncologist to see what they say.
Highlighted

Hya, Logres.  Just adding to the posts below that I am on Letrozole until 2016, but at my last checkup, my Onc said it was very likely it would be extended for another five years on from that, but that I was to watch this space, further to the latest recommendations from NICE.

Highlighted

I will do this. Thanks for getting back to me. 

Highlighted

Thanks for sharing and letting me know. I will try to get an appointment with my oncologist via the GP. x

Highlighted

I have been told very recently by my oncologist that, in UK, 10 years of endocrine treatment is now recommended for node positive breast cancer.

Ask for a referral back to your oncologist to discuss.

Highlighted

Hi I was discharged from Oncology in October 2012 and finished 5 years of Tamoxifen at the end of March last year I had been off of it for nearly a year and was then told that another 5 years may benefit me. The Oncologist said the year break wasn't a problem. I started Letrozole (now post menopausal) just over a month ago. Xx

Highlighted

Thanks Lucy - it is interesting to know that you read about someone in a similar situation. Thanks again for replying. Will go to my GP and see what they say, 🙂

Highlighted

Hi

I've just been reading today (but can't remember where now!) about someone in the same situation as you and they've gone back on it. I guess if you've now been discharged from oncology, your first port of call would be your GP

Hope that helps a bit

Lu xx

Highlighted

7 years out and have a query about Tamoxifen. 10 years not 5.

Hi  I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2006, had a mastectomy, axillery node clearance 4 weeks of radiation therapy to the chest wall followed by 5 years of Tamoxifen. I finished Tamoxifen in January 2012. I have just read a number of articles and reports regarding taking Tamoxifen for ten years post surgery and not the normal 5 years.

Any advice on this appreciated. Is it possible to receive another 5 years of Tamoxifen if you have already finished the first 5 years?