A New Breast Cancer Husband

Hello everyone.

My wife was diagnosed with Stage 3A breat cancer 2 weeks ago and started her first chemo (FEC) yesterday.

She has the usual tiredness and a little nausea, she has been sick 2 or 3 times but is keeping liquids down, still likes water and is drinking as much as she can.  The main thing is that she is getting constant headaches, nothing screamable yet, but bad.  I spoke to her doctor and she said I could give her 1g of paracetamol but it doesn’t seem to be shifting it.  I am giving her hourly forehead cool packs which is helping a little but I was wondering if there was anything else I could do?

All the best,

Paul

P.S. We are from the UK but moved to Switzerland 4 years ago to have a healthier life!

Dear Paul,

Welcome to the BCC Forum.  I’m sorry no one has noticed your post yet.

I do hope your wife’s side effects have diminished by now. 

I have attached a link to our factsheet on FEC which you may find helpful:

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/sites/default/files/fec-chemotherapy.pdf

You might  find it helpful to have a look at the thread October Optimists 2013 which was started by members having chemo during October:

.forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Chemotherapy-monthly-threads/October-Optimists-2013/m-p/779480#U779480

It is also possible to phone our Helpline from outside the UK.  They can offer practical information and emotional support.  Opening times (UK time) are 9-5 on weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays.  The number from abroad is  (+44)20 7620 0077

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Hello Paul,

I hope your wife is having fewer headaches now. Everyone responds so uniquely to chemotherapy but the second treatment is more predictable which helps a lot.

I am a health professional supporting my sister on the forum for support in doing that. The healthier life in Switzerland will be a big bonus in the situation you are in . A healthy lifestyle is just what you both need to support you through this.

By the way the helpline staff are fantastic. I have phoned twice over the last year and it made the world if difference.
I hope you have a good support network in your new home and thank goodness for the Internet in staying connected to friends and family.

All the best Jenny :slight_smile: