cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A bit of a trivial question

25 REPLIES 25
Highlighted

Re: A bit of a trivial question

Thank you Jobey68 it's really helpful having different peoples opinions. And yes I am remembering the positive things as well I was dreading having to have more surgery so that really is a plus xx

Highlighted

Hi Anita, sorry your results weren't clear cut but clear margins are really good, if it's truly only a 1% benefit then I wouldn't be going for Chemo personally, I know a lady on another forum who refused chemo with a 5% benefit and her oncologist fully supported her, I know it's all really stressful but try and celebrate the good bits of your results today 😊😊 Xx 

Highlighted

Oh thank you for that M I've been trying to find others in the same position to try & gauge opinions. I really thought it would be straight forward that they'd tell you what you ought to do I didn't think I'd have to make my own decisions. If it is only 1% benefit, when I see the oncologist, I'm really edging towards not having chemo. It's now another few weeks of waiting! Anita x

Highlighted

Hi Anita,

Sorry to hear you have not had a straightforward result. It is good that the surgeon got clear margins but it must have been very difficult to find out about the sentinel node biopsy. 1% does sound like a very small benefit if you go with chemo. I'm sure the oncologist will help you decide what is best for you.

A lady I befriended in the BC clinic was given the same 1% chemo benefit statistic and decided not to have chemo. She told me she'd rather take a chance than put her body through chemo.

It is a very personal choice. You must do what you feel is best for you and feel comfortable with.

All the very best and good luck with whatever decision you make.

M x

Highlighted
Community Champion

Oooooo ok, so more thinking and more talking and more deciding. That's a tough one to make decisions about with the oncologist' s input isn't it, a you say you must have a stack of questions to ask. I'm glad though that the surgery was a complete success. Keep in touch x

Highlighted

Hi Charys - my head's in a bit of a spin - the surgery was successful & they got clear margins which is good so no more surgery. But the sentinel node biopsy showed a very small amount of cancer in one lymph node. So it's going to be left to me to decide if I want chemotherapy. The surgeon seemed to be saying it would only prevent a reoccurrence by about 1%. I've got to discuss it with the oncologist in about 2 weeks. I'm not sure I want to put my body through that for such a small margin but I know others would say don't risk it. I thought today would be a day of answers but it's ended up a day of questions.

All the best for tomorrow I shall be thinking about you but I know you'll be fine. Anita xx

Highlighted
Community Champion

how did today go Anita?

Highlighted
Community Champion

I vouch for epilator too Anita....have used one for around 25 years and i can't hardly even feel it pulling the hairs out now...what there is left after years of onslaught to their roots. Mind, pretty sure this would not be a good idea to go it for the first time after node removal as it would definitely cause pain, pulling on the skin and irritation,  and on the first time of use you might get ingrown hairs which won't help recovery in that area for sure.  

Thanks for for your constipation suggestions Carolyn, I am drinking gallons and haven't yet moved to figs....I can give them a go I suppose,,,.but sadly I suspect I'm going to need some serious fybogel stuff as I'm already IBS with that associate issue. 

Highlighted

Armpits...have you tried an electric epilator? Works like a row of tweezers, the trick is to shave, use the epilator 3 to 4 days later when only a few long-enough hairs are through, then repeat every 3 days. This reduces the numbers of hairs plucked each time and is not too stingy. After a few weeks, hair growth is reduced and becomes pretty sting free, I've found, and you can use it on legs and other bits, too.

Constipation...gallons of water, nuts, porridge oats either raw in a muesli mix or cooked, more water, and dried figs. 

Highlighted
Community Champion

Oh yes, I am solidly magnetic in my intestines thanks, so further 'blocking up' from any other meds needed lolol

Highlighted

Well if yours goes as well as mine Charys there's no need to worry & I hope it does for you. On the loo issue!!!! Just a piece of advice a friend who'd been through it gave me is that the pain killers they send you home with can cause constipation- but you might have that already! I got some Senna in, but didn't need them as I didn't really have any pain so didn't take the pain killers. The things we end up having to talk about, hey x

Highlighted
Community Champion

Yep, Tuesday. To be honest, I could never have imagined if somebody had told me how harsh on all your emotions and psychological strength this 'diagnosis' thing is. Yes, it does help to read of someone just slightly ahead, as you know I have my medication/ ga phobia thing going on....so it helps me just to know that you've come out it ok lol I've stuffed in so many iron tablets that I doubt I go to the loo again for months ....sorry tmi. 

Highlighted

It is Charys I can deal with the physical stuff better than the mental side of it. As I am a bit ahead of you I hope I can help you out along the way. I know everyone is different but it's nice to have some idea of what is normal & what's not from people who've been through it. You're still waiting for your op aren't you? X

Highlighted

I had mastectomy 2 years ago and lymph nodes removed, together with immediate LD flap recon. I was advised to avoid perfumed soaps etc, and am using Biosen stick deodorant, which seems to be OK (i.e. no adverse comments re: B.O.) and Simple soap (advised also not to use talc, but not sure why). With regard to shaving, I was told to be very careful not to graze the skin because of lymphodeama (spelling?) risk, and am extra careful as I have no feeling under my armpit. I find an electric razor does the trick. Hope this helps. There seem to be so many "dont's" to think about, but am trying to be positive about next checkup in June.

Highlighted

Thank you Charys x

Highlighted
Community Champion

Wishing you all the best for tomorrow Anita. As you are three weeks ahead of me, I read your posts with interest. (Yes even about your hairy armpits!) X This waiting game is horrendous isn't it. 

Highlighted

Thank you x

Highlighted

Good luck for tomorrow Anita.

I hope the results are good for you and there is no spread to your sentinel lymph node. I can empathise with how you must be feeling today.  The waiting for results is very stressful.

Fingers crossed you will be fine.

Big hug.

M x

Highlighted

At the moment I've only had biopsy on nodes so although it's a bit sore & numb haven't got a scar near armpit just on breast. Getting results tomorrow so a bit on edge today. X

Highlighted

If you have had a full node clearance, you always have to be very careful shaving even after chemo and radiotherapy have finished.  The removal of all the lymph nodes compromises the lymphatic drainage system on the surgery side and a small shaving cut could lead to infection or even the possibility of developing lymphoedema.

M x

Highlighted

Thank you riversidedawn that's very helpful xx

Highlighted

I carried on as normal after my mx and full node clearance. It's during chemo and radiotherapy that you have to be careful of infection or irritation caused by perfumes, aluminium in deodorants, shaving and reaction to new products.
Highlighted

Thanks Jobey68 that's just how I feel I'm washing one as normal & the other with non perfumed stuff but I feel like it's always a bit smelly & I haven't had hairy pits for years so I hate that. As I said I know it's trivial compared to what others are going through but I just want to get back to 'normal' . Got results back on Monday post op so stressing about that a bit, too.

Highlighted

Hi Anita, 3 weeks after my op I was back to washing with my normal soap and shaving and deodorising as normal too, as long as you have healed you should be ok but check with your BCN if you are worried, I couldn't wait to shave and wash properly, never felt clean and like I constantly had a stinky arm pit! Oh the glamour of it all 😜xx 

Highlighted

I used Veet after my op as I was told not to use my usual razor. I also used 'Simple' soap for washing.

Highlighted

A bit of a trivial question

I had a lumpectomy 3 weeks ago & just wondered what advice others were given on shaving under the arm, using deodorant & perfumed soap. I'm only using gentle non perfumed at the moment as well as not getting scar very wet as I sit up in the bath. I know this is so trivial with what others are going through on the forum but I just don't feel as fresh as I usually do & hate having a hairy armpit!