cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A book that can help

10 REPLIES 10

Re: A book that can help

Hi HS,

Sorry, only just caught up with your post. Glad you liked the sound of the book I recommended. Have you got hold of it yet? I'd be interested to know if it proved useful. People do expect us to feel 'better' and 'normal' after a few years have passed, but you're right that we can all 'wobble' from time to time. After all, the trauma of what has happened to us doesn't just go away and there's always that fear in the background that it might come back. That's one of the reasons I liked the book, that it validated not just 'getting over it' and 'getting on with things.'

Kazey x

Hi Kazey,

Thanks for your thread. Although I am now 10 years down the line, I still have wobbly moments (having one at the moment!), so I was really pleased to read this - I have just ordered it now - thank you.

HSx

I read this too and found it amazingly helpful. I think it should be compulsory for all professionals dealing with cancer patients. It would be a great help for carers too. It's on my kindle and I keep dipping back in to it whenever I feel a wobble!

Hi Debrahams,

I'm sorry you're having such a bad time. I  hope the book I recommended will  help you to recogise that at least it is normal to feel so bad. Also that lots of other women feel like you do. Let me know what you think when you've had chance to look at it.

Kazey x

I will take a look too, been struggling with my emotions and thoughts lately, just thought once treatment was over I'd feel fine . I need to make sense of it all and see if the way I feel is just part of the process. Thank you xx 

Yeah,

I hope you find it as useful as i do. x

Saw the Amazon reviews, bought it, looking forward to reading it xxx

Many thanks for your recommendation, will have a look xxx

No, the great thing about this one is that it's all about breast cancer. It's called Emotional support through breast cancer: the alternative handbook, by Dr Cordelia Galgut. It's on Amazon, book or kindle. Can't remember the price, but about a fiver. It's great cos she's a psychologist whose  had breast cancer and it's like a friend talking, saying things i've not read anywhere else. It's quite new, i think.

Hope it helps

Hi Kazey,

If you mean the Cancer survivors companion by Dr Frances Goodhart, it is also available on iTunes ibooks. It is very good.

poemsgalore 

A book that can help

I don't know if new members are supposed to start a new thread, but here goes. I've found a brilliant book that is helping me to cope with my feelings. I've done a few posts about it but realised i could start a new thread! It's called Emotional support through breast cancer. It's by a woman whose a psychologist and had breast cancer and it says all the stuff i've been thinking and feeling. I keep it in my handbag now! Do take a look at it, you can get it on Amazon and it's cheap.

Hope it helps,

Kazey