A real dilemma. Do I have an oophrectomy?

Hi everyone. My first posting. I had a left mastectomy 3 weeks ago for invasive cancer (Oestrogen receptive). Was lucky as it hadn’t spread to my lymph nodes so no rads and chemo not recommended. The consultant has now left me to decide between zoladex injections for 18 months and tamoxifen for 5 years or have oophrectomy instead of zoladex.

I am 38, have 2 children and my family is complete. My Mum went through an early menopause at 42 so I suppose I am at risk of the same thing which does sway me towards the oophrectomy. But, it seems so final and abrupt! I am dreading the side effects as my Mum says her menopause was awful in every way!

Also, does anyone know if I have an oophrectomy, will the drug therapy with it be Tamoxifen or Arimadex? Is there a greater chance of the cancer coming back once I have stopped Zoladex injections?

Your advice would be really appreciated.

xx

Hi Cha123

I’m in similar situation but had a WLE/SNB and rads. 5 years of tamoxifen and had 2 zoladex injections so far. I’m 39 and it was me who raised the what happens after the two years on zoladex as I will still be pre menopausal and the oopherectomy issue was raised. I have decided to leave it until the zoladex has finished (Providing I dont have a massive reaction or anything) mainly because although like you I havent had chemo I just feel like I want to be left alone for a while and try to get back on a semi normal (whatever that means now) life.

I’m sorry I dont know the answer to the tamoxifen question but there are a few threads in here already about the subject but if you have the time to trawl through I’m sure the answer will be out there. Check out the "ovarian ablation or zoladex anyone? thread on the Younger Women forum. Loads of info on oopherectomys.
Good luck with everything, we are all given such diverse treatment programmes its a minefield.
Love Shonagh xx

Hi Cha123

Welcome to the forums, I’m sure you’ll get plenty of responses from your fellow users, who have a wealth of knowledge between them.

You may find it useful to give the helpline a call, the staff here are all either breast care nurses or people with personal exprience of breast care issues and will be able to give you some information and advice regarding the drug therapy used after oopherectomy. The telephone calls are free, the number to phone is 0808 800 6000, lines being open Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm and Saturdays 9am - 2pm.

Hope this helps, kind regards,
Jo, Facilitator

Cha123

I had oophrectomy on the 6 March 2008, I have had hot flushes which are annoying at night but I had these with Zoladex apart from that I have been ok, I will be on tomaxifen for 5 years as well to mop up any stray Oestrogen, I am the same age as you 42 my bc was ER+. I don’t regret having the operation and the menopause was going to happen one day.

Hope this helps
Debra x

Hi Shonagh,

Thanks for your response. it is really helpful to find out others’ thoughts and feelings and I am getting a lot of reassurance from the forums about coping with breast cancer and all of the life changes and decisions etc that come with it. I have accepted it and want to move forward, but am still in limbo because I haven’t started hormone treatment since getting results post-mastectomy (a week ago).

It seems a big decision to make between zoladex and oophrectomy, but as my perceptive daughter said last night, either decision is the right one because they both lower your risk of it coming back (she is 10). I think I may do the same as you and go for the zoladex initially which will get me used to the menopause, hopefully a bit more kinder than oophrectomy, then go for the op at a later stage.

How do you find zoladex? I know everyone’s experience is different, but did you find it a gradual slip to the menopause?

xx

Hi Debra,

Thanks for your comments. Pleased to hear you are happy with your decision. Doesn’t sound so bad from what you say. I think I could cope with hot flushes (I’m always cold anyway!!). I think I will probably opt for the zoladex to start with to get me used to it, then have my ovaries removed at a later stage. Like you say, the menopause is looming anyway and it is a more permanent reduction in risk.

xx

Hi Cha123

I was put on tamoxifen first about 3 weeks after my surgery and I think that eased me into the menopause (it didnt stop my periods and am waiting with baited breath to see if I get another one…due any day|!!!) and then I had the first zoladex injection a month after that. I was on a mild anti anxiety drug called Dosulepin until about 5 days ago and I think they helped with the hot flushes because they seem a little bit more intense now. Not very often about 3 times a day and only last a minute. I take my tamoxifen in the morning so not sure if that helps reducing the flashes when I’m in bed but I’m the opposite to you and am usually quite warm (never have the heating on in the bedroom and sleep with my legs out of duvet) but honestly so far its not been too bad. I may have been a bit tetchy now and then but think thats more to do with the situation in general.
When I first came on here I couldnt find a single positive thread about either zoladex or tamoxifen but there are plenty of us out there who seem to be ok with either one of them or both, there is even a thread running about increased sex drive!!! Cant say its happened to me, cant even think about it at the minute as got quite tender boob due to rads (finished last week and kept cooking for a bit…not too bad just avoiding any extra jiggling…LOL!!)
I’m starting back to work next week, 1st April…seemed as good a day as any so am looking forward to getting back to normal?? life.
Glad I was of some use and really glad Debra replied to you too, she was a great help in my decision. I am definately going for the oopherectomy but just giving my body a chance to recover its been quite quick and a bit of a rollercoaster from beginning to back to work (just less than 3 months) and I feel I need to get my feet back on solid ground for a while.
Good luck with everything and make sure you ask for a local before they give you the zoladex it stings a bit apparently (my GP gave it without even asking but some dont).
Love Shonagh xx

Cha123 and Shonagh

I am glad that I have been able to help you both, when I was dx with bc I found this site to be a great help to me, I am now happy that I can help others somthing I never thought I could have done 3 months ago how time changes things.

Debra x

Hi Debra,

I know 3 months gone and what a three months, just about catchng my breath. I was reading a thread about NHS v Private and I can only assume I have been incredibly lucky. I found my first lump (was a cyst but BC in my other side. HO HUM!!!) on the 10th Dec, mamogramm, biopsy etc 17th Dec, DX 24th Dec WLE/SNB
9th Jan and rads 21st Feb. PHEW!!!

Really glad to hear you are feeling ok. Be good to yourself hun. love Shonagh xx

How do you get to have an oopherectomy, do you ask for one, or does your consultant have to suggest it. I am now 48 and had breast cancer nearly 5 years ago, so am coming to the end of my Tamoxifen. During this time, I have had 3 really bad painful periods, just over a year ago. Before Chemo and Tamoxifen I was having regular periods. I was doing OK, but now my Mum who had BC 12 years ago, has it back again and this time, there will be no operation, it has gone too far. As well as being upset for my Mum, I am also now afraid for myself. Surely I won’t just be abandoned once I finish Tamoxifen, with this Family History. My Gran also died of BC, but my hospital still feels we are not a strong enough case for genetic investigation. (I would add that my BC was Oestrogen Positive and all my life I have suffered with severe PMS, which does suggest a hormone imbalance. Incidently I have been feeling fantastic since taking Tamoxifen, the hot flushes are nothing compared with the 10 days of sheer hell that I used to endure each month, another reason why I am dreading the end of my treatment. Any advice or anyone else with similar experience?

Hi Ginny, firstly i would know go back to the hospital and demand genetic testing, how you cant be described as a strong case beggers belief?, im 35 and have just been offered it (my gran died of breast cancer) as well as my own dx, secondly, im due to have a complete hysterectomy with an ooph, i had trouble with my periods went to gp couldnt have any hormone treatment cos im slightly PR+, got referred to gynea and they took it from there, however because of my BC results they got the Gynea oncologist to look at my case so i was seen by an absolute brilliant gynae who took time to discuss my “case” with my own oncologist and this is what they have dicided. and this is what i wanted. hope this is helpful
Anna

Thank you Anna, I will have to pluck up courage and get firm with my consultant or BC nurse when I go for my 5 year check in June. I guess it will now add weight to my case that my poor Mum is now back under the same hospital. I know that many people also consider a double mastectomy (I had a lumpectomy), but I would prefer to have my ovaries removed and keep my breasts. Did your hospital suggest this too, or is removal of ovaries sufficient.

not sure on that one, i did all the research about tamoxifen, and my oncologist confirmed its not designed for PR+ cancer so thats when i knew i should have my ovaries removed,

can I ask - what exactly is an oopherectomy?

It is removal of ovaries, which of course are the main hormone producing/controlling organs in our bodies. Tamoxifen helps to reduce or block the ovaries from producing oestrogen, which is the cause of many breast cancers, but as you can only take tamoxifen for about 5 years, removal of the ovaries is the next option.

Thanks for that Ginny. I’ve seen it mentioned a few times and wondered what it was. Another thing to bear in mind for the future.