A red mark has appeared on my scar. 18 months on

Hi There,

I,m probably being paranoid but BC makes you this way I think.

Just got out of the shower and caught a glimps of myself in the mirror. I have what looks like a red freckle in the middle of my WLE scar. Its about the size of a pea and not sore. There is a slight lump underneath it but my scar is lumpy so may not be anything.

My surgeon struggled to get clear margins and I had 4 operations until he was happy. Im just worried incase a little was left in and has appeared on the skin.
I have quite a deep dint and its on the deepest part. It was not there a week ago.

I had grade 2 IDC with 1 node involved , 6 fec and 15 rads. I,m waiting for BCN to call me back. Should I be concerned.

Thanks
Love Andrea xx

Hi Andrea,

Yes, and you have done right to contact your BCN. Reading thru posts on this forum there are quite a number who have odd things appear on mastectomy site and many of them prove to be nothing but you cannot take that risk so it is best to let your onc decide. I had a recurrence about 10 yrs ago which appeared like tiny flea bites on the site - but they did not itch. Hope it turns out to be nothing.

Dawn
xxx

Thanks Dawn,

My Bcn called me back and said she could see me tomorrow at a clinic about 30 mins drive away. So best to get it checked.
About your recurrence, what treatment did they give you and whats happening now? Many thanks
love Andrea x

Andrea - nothing to add but sending you lots of love.
All the best for tomorrow .
m x

Andrea,

I agree with Dawn. I had a local recurrence 3 months after finishing rads on my mast scar and went on to develop skin mets in that area. These are being treated very successfully.

Hope it turns out to be harmless scar tissue, it often does, but so pleased you’re being seen so quickly.

Take Care,
Jackie x

Thanks everyone for your reasurring words. I hope I dont regret having a WLE over a Mastectomy when i was given the choice. I,ll post tomorrow after appointment. Love Andrea xx

Hi Andrea,

Glad you are being seen so promptly - saves days/weeks of needless anxiety! The recurrence that I had 10 yrs ago was 6 months after a mastectomy. Unfortunately back in 1990 I had a fairly large tumour that shrunk to oblivion with chemo and rads. I had no surgery. Then 5 yrs later had a new tumour in same breast and took some considerable time convincing oncs that it was there in my well cooked boob. By they time they agreed it had more or less taken over the whole breast so I had the mastectomy. It was 6 months after that the ‘flea bites’ appeared. I was put on 3 lots of ECF chemo then stopped for drastic surgery. They stripped that area of my chest back to the ribs and built it back up with muscle,blood vessels, fat & skin from my stomach to cover the chest wall. I then had the other three ECF’s. Whats happening now!!! I got another tumour in the other breast 2 yrs later. Then 2 yrs after that I got bone secondaries, plus lot of nodes in neck and clavicle. That was 6 years ago and am doing well now - on regular pamidronate & herceptin. You did ask LOL. Looking back I wish I had a mastectomy with the very first tumour, but things were very different 18 years ago. All my tumours they believe were HER2+++ so very aggressive, but of course herceptin has only been around more recently and I am benefitting from that now.

Will be looking out for your news tomorrow and do hope it is good.

Dawn
xxx

Thanks again Dawn,
You have been through the mill. You have given me hope that could have lots of years ahead even if bad news.
I desperately want my Kids to be up and have their own lives before anything happens to me. I am 40 and my Kids are 12 and 7.
I know this sounds morbid but you have to think practically.
Lots of love Andrea xx

Hi Andrea, I agree with everyone else so no new info, but good news it’s being checked our super quick.

Personally I opted for an immediate mastectomy, and looking back now wish I had had a bilateral at the time, but it was all so quick I didn’t know enough to make that decision. Many woman do really well without having the mast, so it’s not a bad decision at all so dont worry about it :slight_smile:

Very best of luck for your appt

Nikki

Hi Everyone,

Just come back from Hospital. I had Bcn, Consultant and a Student Dr have a look and a good poke about.
They did not seem too concerned about the red mark but they could feel a lump underneath it. The consultant thinks it probably too soon for anything to come back but not impossible. He was my surgeon and happy that he took all the disease away. He said that its possibly scar tissue but will send me for an ultrasound to be on the safe side.
I had a mammogram 4 months ago which was clear but I have no confidence in that because it missed my first lump, which was found by an ultrasound and biopsy on the same day. So should know next week either way.
I will just plod on and keep a little detatched from it all for the moment ( its my way of coping ).

Thanks for your kind words
lots of love Andrea xx
lots

Good to hear back from you Andrea, keep going and all the best for next week.

m x

I think it is always good when the medics take you seriously Andrea, and that they are checking it out thoroughly for you. I hope at the end their checks all is well.

Dawn

Thanks very much Dawn and hello again Magsi, Havent seen much of you on here lately. Hows it goin? Are you on school holidays. love Andrea xx

Half term next week for me Andrea so off to Cornwall, not quite such an exotic location as your break. But 3 days walking and an extra hour in bed on Sunday because the clocks go back cant be bad - yipee!
Is it half term for your children next week as well?

Best of luck for next week Andrea. Will check back to see how you get on and fingers ccrossed it’s only scar tissue.
Love
Jackie x

Hi Magsi,

I love Cornwall, went there camping a few times as a kid. Tintagel and Newquay. Once our tent collapsed in a terrible storm and we had to sleep in the car for the rest of the night all five of us. Ahh Happy days. I would love to go again but long drive from Durham.

My kids are on half term too but Alex broke up early due to a burst water pipe. My neighbour went to pick up her daughter and Alex and said it was like something from St Trinians. Kids running out of the doors screaming and yelling, she said it was hilarious.

I hope you have a lovely time and I hope the weather is good for your walks
lots of love Andrea xx

Thanks Andrea, bit of a journey for us but we’re going by train to St Ives and breaking the journey on the way back at Exeter for a nights B&B in order to visit our youngest at uni.
You live in a nice part of the world though don’t you? I haven’t been to Durham but past by on the train on the way to Newcastle on the Edinburgh line - it always looks such an interesting place to visit. The coastline is really quite pretty. Spent some holidays as a child around the Whitley Bay area .
Hope you have a good half term with your children and all the bestfor the scan.
M x

Hi again Magsi,

I know you are quite spiritual and you know I,m not religious but you should visit Holy Island at the top of the Northumbria coast. Its a wonderful and beautiful place and has a very mystical and holy feel about it. I really love it there. Durham is lovely too if you like oldy worldy , the Cathedral is really nice too.
All the best.
love Andrea xx

Been there as a child, also the Farne Isles and Belford.
My mum was in the Land Army during the war and was statoned in the area and later kept in contact with a friend there.
Must go to bed or will never get up in the morning!
Have a good week
m x

Have a lovely time hun.