cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A year on and first check mammogram is due

45 REPLIES 45
Highlighted

Re: A year on and first check mammogram is due

Hi Pat, pleased to hear your news. It is lovely to know the year of treatment seems to be working. Keep positive and treat yourself. I bought some news clothes and bras fed up wearing the ' old lady ' ones!. Mind you I still get pains in my breast so I expect I shall have to gently get myself back into wearing what I call normal bras. All progress though, take care, Katy.
Highlighted

Congratulations Pat. Long may we continue in Nedland.

poemsgalore xx

Highlighted

Hi everyone, just got results back from 1st yearly mammogram & US, all clear, NED, woohoo! Good luck to anyone about to have their check ups. Pat xx
Highlighted

Hi Kevin,

I am so pleased that Marg is home and bossing you around again , but make sure you take some time for yourself as well. You are right this site is wonderful that we can all help one another through a tough time. Marg is a tough cookie like you know so keep wearing your Big Boy pants you are doing a great job !!

Hope you have a good weekend. Take care Love Tracy xxx

Highlighted

Hi Poems, glad to hear your news( I did a response just now and don't know where it has gone so doing it again!)
Another positive story from someone on this thread. I hope you celebrate in some way. Also good to hear another lady with you looked well. I me two ladies when I had my second lot of surgery and we all turned up at the same mammogram session.All of us are OK and they looked well also.
I just want life to return to some normality as spent last 15 months being in and out of hospital, seeing Doctors, nurses etc, etc.
I have a bad sinuses infection so just been put on another three weeks of antibiotics. My GP said some people after cancer treatment get a lot of infections and I shall just have to keep taking the tablets!. Take care, Katy
Highlighted

Great news Kevin  Glad she's home and doing good.

Take Care  Gilly x

Highlighted

She is home now and got me running round after her (couldn't be happier) again thanks all you wonderful caring ladies.

Highlighted

I'm glad your mammogram went well Katie, I've just had my second appointment today.  I saw the same nurse who did my original examination before DX. She felt all along my scar, beneath my arm, all over the good breast and beneath that arm, then up the lymph glands in my chest/neck area. Smiled, said there's nothing there. See you next year. So I'm well chuffed with that.

Also waiting for her first annual check was the young girl who had her surgery the same day as I did. She looked fabulous. We wished each other well and are having our next year's appointment on the same day and time. 

Kevin, I'm so glad to hear that Marg is doing well after her surgery, I hope that situation continues until she is really well and back to normal.

Kath xx

Highlighted

Hi Katy, great news! Hope my results are the same. Kevin, so pleased things are going well for Marg. Take care everyone, Pat x
Highlighted

Thanks you she was having obs every 15 mins last night today it is 4 hours, so she will be able to get some sleep she has been looked after brilliantly, hopefully home tomorrow maybe Thursday again I thank all you very special ladies from the bottom of my heart the support on this site is nothing short of fantastic.

Highlighted

I have been following this thread and am so pleased to hear how it went for you and Marg today. Hope the other ladies don't mind me butting in have a good rest and praying for a speedy recovery for Marg.
Highlighted

Hi everyone just to let you know that after the letter came after my mammogram saying there was nothing to be concerned about last week, I had another letter yesterday, with an appointment to see the breast care nurse at the hospital where I had my surgery. Another lady who has been on same journey as myself fortunately called me to warn me a letter was coming. When she had hers it threw her and she thought they had got mammogram results wrong, so she rang them and said this was just a routine follow up. So those of you having your first mammogram check this will probably happen so don't worry. Take care, Katy.
Highlighted

Deleted due to duplicated post.    

Highlighted

Evening Kevin.

So pleased all went well, as you say it is a long op but Marg sounds like a real trouper.  You take good care of yourself and she'll be home pretty soon...love Marg's big boy pants comment (never heard that before).

Take Care   Gilly x

Highlighted

Hi Kevin, thanks for letting us know how Marg got on. Well at least that milestone is over. Put you feet up and try and rest as I am sure you will need all your energy to do all the chores and look after Marg. Let's us know how she goes. Take care, Katy.
Highlighted

Thank you so much Ladies just got back from visiting been a very long day,over seven hour op, but  as normal she was more bothered about how I and our Sally was.She is being checked every fifteen minutes and she is not impressed with that,her consultant has spoken with her,and wants her out of hospital by Wednesday (which is great)I love this site you Ladies are very very special people thanks for reading and replying to a very frightened man today, your comments made such a difference.Now can anyone tell me what I do with this box everytime i press it the television turns over,I have never been allowed to use it before,

Highlighted

Thinking of you both Kevin and sending Marg healing thoughts. I am also sending you strength to cope and put a big smile on your face exactly like your wife wants you to. Take good care of yourself . Love Tracy x

Highlighted

Thank you Gilly,she is having the op at 9am first one in, which is good,the hospital she is at wont let partners stay with them so had to drop her off at 7.30 fingers crossed now,but as she said to me 'put your big boy pants on'and get to work.I will ring the helpline later i think, it is all about her now got to stop feeling sorry for myself and put them pants on..

Highlighted

Hi Kevin,

I hope everything goes well with your partner's operation today and as has been suggested, please do give the helpline here a ring, they're here to support you as well through all this.  Lines open at 9am this morning until 5pm (weekdays and Sat 10-2) calls are free from landlines and most mobiles.

Also, I don't know if you've seen our publication 'In it together', it's aimed at partners so you might find it helpful, I've put you the link below.

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/it-together-partners-people...

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Highlighted

Hello there Kevin

I have followed a number of posts from you on different threads and this is the first one where you have talked about yourself,  all the others have been you offering sound advice and opinion from a different perspective which is much appreciated.

Sorry that i can't discuss the type of surgery your girl is having, i have got tissue expander which will be replaced with permanent silicone later this year, around the time of my One year Mammogram.... but I will be thinking of you both tomorrow as she goes for her surgery.  As Poemsgalore said in one of her replies we can sometimes forget how it is for the family.  Fortunately i have a MIL and SIL who remind me regularly how difficult, and inconvenient all this Breast Cancer Business is for my Husband.  I've been married to that gorgeous guy for 27 years and reckon i know just what bothers him and what doesn't........  He's been an absolute treasure, he thinks i would have done just the same for him !!!! I'm not sure i would have been so patient.  He did say that this is the only time where he has felt such frustration and distress at being so helpless.  The whole thing has been a learning curve for us and in the middle of some pretty cr**py weeks we've had some good laughs. 

Hope you can focus on work this week to occupy your mind, don't get used to having the remote control as she'll be home before you know it..........   Take Care  Gilly x  

Highlighted

Thank you very much 

Highlighted

Hi Kevin, you ramble as much as you want especially if it helps. Hopefully someone will come forward who has had similar. Let us know how your wife is once you can. This is a milestone that has to be gone through but afterwards hopefully your wife will make a speedy recovery. It is not easy but take each stage as it comes. Why don't you call the nurses on the helpline in the morning as they will listen and give information you will want. Take care, Katy.
Highlighted

Well she will be going in for her operation tomorrow has to be there at 7.30 but not sure when exactly the operation will start,really trying to appear calm but inside i don't think i have ever felt so low,sadly yesterday i had to take our little fella (cat)to the vets and sadly he is no longer with us he was only 4,I don't even really like cats more of a dog person but he was a little cracker from a rescue home ,people say 'he was a cat' i know he was but he brought a lot of joy,to have to tell marg the news was heart breaking as she really loved him,and it seems so unfair for it to happen,just before she is having surgery,I have searched and searched for statictics etc on a LD flap and I am fully aware it is a very safe operation,but it is my girl and I can't put into words how much she means to me and all our family,she is probably the most loved person i have ever met and she has certainly made me a much better person,sorry for rambling but i find putting my thought down on here really helps,sorry for being such a soppy sod.

PS if anyone has had this procedure and can reassure me i would be eternally grateful.

Highlighted

Hi Kevin, just read your post to Poems and just wanted to say I am thinking of you and Marg. It is good you get info and support here. Just try and take each stage as it comes as each person's cancer is different and it can get a bit scary sometimes reading some posts. Keep positive and busy and write down any questions you have ready for when you meet the surgeon afterwards as it can be overwhelming and they are busy wanting to move onto next patient.
I got some comfort for the fact we live in the 21st century and treatment and care has never been so good for cancer. I had excellent care throughout and thankful I live in the UK and they detected my cancer through the mammogram programme otherwise it would never have been found until too late as it was not a lump just a long thread growing in a breast duct. The surgeon even said she would not bother examining me as nothing to feel! Very scary!. Anyway Marg is very lucky to have you supporting her and ensuring she gets the best treatment. The breast care nurses on this site are very helpful so call them and have a chat. It is hard for partners as they feel useless and can't say much in case they make the person with cancer feel worse. I tried to protect everyone else when I first found out so much so that it exhausted both my hubby and me. In the end we got a family member to keep family and close friends updated as it got too much talking about it all the time. Let's us know how Monday goes and I am sure Marg will be in good hands, take care, Katy
Highlighted

Thank you Poems I do try but, I think I can be a bit of a pain constantly asking if she is OK, I have no idea what I am going to do on Monday, they tell me the op will be between 4/6 hours, I will probably try to go to work but what work they get out of me will be pretty useless. I hate the thought that people might think, I am all about how I feel, that couldn't be further from the truth, if I could swop places with her I would do it in a heartbeat, I met her 1when she was 19 I was 26 and married her when she was 20 thirty years ago this year,when you know you know.

I read on another thread that you wrote another set of ladies will be starting a new group in February, I thought how sad that was that new ladies will have to go through this horrible time, Marg was in the February 2012 group (well I posted on her behalf) and I know you were in the February 2013 group it is so sad there has to be anymore groups at all, but it just seems the February ones hit home harder, I seem to have derailed this thread so sorry.  

Highlighted

Hi everyone , just found out all is ok no cause for concern on the mammogram!. Phew what a relief!. A few tears have been shed and my hubby equally felt a sense of relief. At least now I can try and focus on getting a bit fitter! Want to open the bubbly but on antibiotics so that will have to hold until next week . Thanks for you support everyone did not realise how emotional this was going to be!. Let me know how you get on please . Take care Katy . Ps. Going to raid the chocolate box instead!.
Highlighted

Hi Pat, well sounds like you are having a real through examination so that is good and glad it did not turn out to be too bad. The pont made about difficulty in reading the mammogram due to surgery etc is a valid one. I suspect your Health Authority is finding this a better approach as I bet others ( like mine) will call someone back to do the US which only raises anxiety even further. Let us know what results are and Poemsgalore let us know yours. Fingers crossed everyone!!! Best wishes , Katy.
Highlighted

Hi Kevin,

Sending hugs and best wishes for you and your wife as her surgery date approaches. As for you not knowing anything, I think you must have a unique insight into all of our treatments through watching your wife go through all this. We sometimes are a little too much involved and don't realise the impact on our partners/family. I'm sure she will cope admirably with your steadfast support. 

poemsgalore xx

Highlighted

Hi Katy, nice to hear from you too. Now back from having boobs squashed. The clerks had got the letters wrong and it was my surgery (L) side which was to have US. The lovely lady who did the US said they check surgery side with US as scar tissue can make mammos difficult to read / cancers often difficult to distinguish from scar tissue/necrosis. Took painkillers before being squashed so not as painful as I had been dreading. Should get results in a couple of weeks but she said surgery side looked fine, phew! Hope everyone gets okay results. Pat x
Highlighted

Ah bless you Kevin,  your wife will be fine as she has a good hubby to look after her. I had immediate reconstruction with a tissue expander in place and it all went okay. Lotsof love and healing thoughts to you both. May 2014 be a good one for you x love Tracy xxx

Highlighted

I have posted on this site for two years now, (not very often) as I feel sometimes people might think 'What do you know' but I have watched my girl have to go through all the treatment and I feel I do have an insight into the journey ladies have to take (if only through their Partners eyes) Marg has her reconstruction surgery on the 20th January, she is her normal philosophical self, whilst I am a bag of nerves’ I hope everything goes well for you.

Highlighted

Hi Kevin, thanks for this . Pleased all was ok for your wife. Different to be ' speaking' to a bloke on this this site, that is a first for me!. My hubby admitted he has looked at the site and I was pleased he had!. Difficult for the OH's as they go through a lot and often can't say a lot. My hubby has a mate whose wife has been treated for BC and it seems they chat and support each other which again was good to know. Hope your wife continues to keep well and you both have a happier new year!. Take care, kKaty.
Highlighted

My wife had her mamogram on the second of January they toldgher ring up in a week (we will have your results),she did today and everything was fine (thank god) don't wait for them to get in touch with you give your BCN a ring they will have the results within a week.Why should you wait and worry.

Highlighted

Hi all, just to let you know I had my mammogram. Painful but was warned that by the radiographer before she started. They were very quick so I did not have to hang about as I felt a bit daunted going into the clinic where it all started just over a year ago. Anyway now the wait!. Two to three weeks and they contact me by letter. Must say I am surprised how much this has affected me after everything thought I had it all done and dusted with. I suppose this is what it will be like every year for awhile as I met others at clinic who had come for their second and third mammogram?. It is learning to live with it . Take care, Katy.
Highlighted

Hi Pat, nice to hear from you again. I have no idea why they want to do ultrasound of your unaffected breast. When you had your mammogram last did they hint of anything there? . You must ask before you go, can you call them or your breastcare nurse?. Mind you I think that any thorough examination is worth it as you will be sure what is going on.
I hope mine is straight forward as my sister in law went for her check up and ended up having another biopsy which was ok in the end but she was very stressed and upset as just thought she was having a routine mammogram.
My hubby wants to come with me but I have said I will go by myself as he could be there ages as they have a drop in clinic which you don't book but just turn up. Just keeping fingers crossed as having so many pains in the breast that they operated on. Let me know how you get on. Take care, Katy.
Highlighted

Hi Katy, like you I'm due my first mammogram next week and totally know where you're coming from. I feel exactly the same. Very apprehensive and worried about how painful it will be on my affected side, like you I still get quite a few pains in that breast. I am also scheduled for US to the unaffected breast, not sure why, anyone any ideas? Hope everything goes okay for you. Pat x
Highlighted

Hi Gilly, sorry to hear you are finding your immune system is weak too. No one warns you of this at the early stages so hopefully others reading this will realise it and take more care of themselves. I have had one infection after another and one episode was a urinary tract infection something I have never had in my life! . I do keep away best I can from others with colds etc and had the flu vaccine for the first time this year as a precaution.
Yes the mind does play tricks which is daft but after everything we all feel vulnerable and the ongoing battle to keep the dreaded C at bay is our priority . Anyway I am grateful for my aftercare that I am getting. At least I know I have the annual mammogram for next seven years booked and my GP is brilliant and really looking after me and I can see or speak to him anytime.
I think it is good you call the nurses as that is the proper way to get support rather than keeping things to yourself. Take care of yourself, regards. Kathy.
Highlighted

Hi Poemsgalore, yes the lung thing has been unpleasant especially during the hot summer we had ( we did have one didn't we?.) Anyway, I seem to be picking up the uncommon or rare side effects to everything!. As my hubby says now "trust you to have that" which is becoming a catch phrase here!.
I was 63 on 22nd Dec and have been on Anastrozole since last February. I had the usual side effects from what I have read from others on this site and as I have osteo arthritis and I had both my knees replaced, one in March 2011 then the other March 2012 then BC in Dec 2012 , I was told by my surgeon that unfortunately my aches and pains would get worse.
I have Fibromyalgia and had to give up work because of it in 2000. Anyway now I am getting more defined side effects and when I saw my GP earlier this week with my chest I told him I have developed trigger finger in both hands affecting my ring fingers and my left thumb as well. They all started together about three weeks ago. He said he had never seen this before with someone on Anastrozole but it is on the list of more uncommon side effects which comes with the tablets. So now I am off to get thumb x- rayed and have two injections into hands booked for next week. My GP says he wants me to stay on Anastrozole and I am happy to keep battling on with it as the Oncologist says it is better than Tamoxifen for my type of cancer which was a Mucinous Carcinoma again a rare one! Really I am not trying to be different but that is why we have a smile every time I am told " that is rare or uncommon", just my b---- y luck !.
So if you can bear it get back on the Anastrozole and hopefully it will work for you. Best wishes, Katy.
Highlighted

Oh dear Poemsgalore  sorry to hear you are still itching.  I hope you manage to find something that will help and as you say usually it would be Letrazole on the assumption you are post menopausal at 62 years young.  To be honest i've got a bit of night sweats (worse if i have even one glass of wine) and some joint pain but compared to some of the other ladies i reckon i'm doing ok with the side effects from Tamoxifen.  I haven't heard of fibrosis but i will look now what it is.  Again i got a bit of pink skin with the rads but compared to some ladies I reckon I did OK.  

Take Care   Gilly x

Highlighted

Oh dear Katy, so sorry to hear you have fibrosis of the lung. This is why I refused rads as I have a serious lung condition already and my onco was unhappy about me having them. My risk of recurrence is less than 20% in my chest, and 50% in my lymph nodes for which I can have a clearance. So I'm taking my chances with hormone treatment. As my cancer was 100% ER positive and 75% PR positive, I can't get away without the tablets.

Gilly, I'm fine with Tamoxifen. I stopped Anastrazole because of itching - but I'm embarassed to say it wasn't the Anastrazole at all as I'm still itching. I've ruled out everything, and now think it must be a fungal skin thingy, so will look at treatment for that. My immune system is always low, has been since before chemo because of RA drugs!! I've had no side effects at all from Tammy, but might request to go back on Anastrazole next time I see my onco in March, because at 62 I feel that will be better for me.

Highlighted

Morning Katy. 

Thinking about you as you wait for Mammogram...As you say our minds play tricks on us....I'm afraid my mind is so active... If i could just harness that activity and use it Positively..... I do try.. 

I have found my immune system is really low even though i finished Chemo in February 2013 even a tiny cut on my hand taking weeks to heal.  GP says it will take time to get back to normal and you are right to seek reassurance Katy.

BC nurses must be tired of me keep ringing..Sorry Ladies but i have to do it...

Poemsgalore.  I know you have an appt in January to have surgery site checked but how are you doing in the Tamoxifen, you've been on them a few weeks now i think...Hope it's going OK.   Giily x      

Highlighted

Hi Poemsgalore, nice to hear from you!. I am sure I shall be OK but just need that photograhic proof!. I have a chest infection at moment as problem with lung the side I had rad treatment so perhaps feeling a little more anxious than I should?. I have had one infection after another as my immune system must be weak. I got to October and suddenly felt a lot better generally but that has only lasted two months and now back on antibiotics yet again!.
The mind plays tricks on you doesn't it?. I had a reaction to rad treatment as it caused fibrosis to lung and now my GP is concerned so that makes me anxious. It is hopefully just infection but roll on next Wednesday when I can get the mammogram . I suspect I shall have to wait another fortnight for results so will try and keep positive.Take care of yourself as you have really been through a tough time. Regards, Katy.
Highlighted

Hi Katy, I had my mammogram in December. I wasn't too worried as I only have my 'healthy' breast left to put in the boob squasher, but was still relieved to be told there was no evidence of disease. I have to go back later this month to have my MX side checked over - now that really scares me!! Good luck for your mammogram, hoping it will be clear.

poemsgalore xx

Highlighted

Hi CurleyChris, thank you for responding and making me feel not so silly being nervous about the check mammogram. Hopefully all will be well and I can move on. Katy.
Highlighted

Hi Katy I was at this point in November and found myself feeling very frightened as the date drew nearer. I was so relieved to be given the news that all appeared well. So hope you till will receive good news. Hope 2014 is a great year for all of us who had a diagnosis of breast cancer and have weathered the treatment and are Living and strong today.
Highlighted

A year on and first check mammogram is due

Hi all , due to have my first check mammogram next week and feeling anxious about it. Silly really as I want to have it to make sure that all the tumour has gone. I am still having a lot of intermittent painful twinges in my breast and just hope it is adhesions healing. Going through the ' anniversary ' of being told I had BC on 19th December 2012 has been quite an emotional time as I can't believe how much has happened in a relatively short period of time. Has anyone else experienced this ?. Katy.