cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AC chemo?

4 REPLIES 4
Jonsi79

Re: AC chemo?

Thats good to know and I hope my nails stay!! Hey ho if not!!!
Had some replies on my Feb group so hoping we can become close and share our thoughts and feelings!!
Thanks for the tip on the ginger beer!!! I'm not a good burper usually so maybe that'll help! Haha!!!
JaneyW

No, my nails were fine - I don't think AC gets them. I do have a horizontal ridge across both thumb nails now, like when you bash them, that I think marks the chemo, but that's growing out, it's about half way up already, and I finished chemo in July. You seem to be philosophical about your hair which is great, and if you're like me it'll start to come back about 6 weeks after the end of your chemo.

Ginger in all forms is good for nausea - the ginger beer has the double advantage of producing burps, which helps too!

Jane x

Jonsi79

Thank you for replying. Nice to hear from someone who has had AC, as like you said there doesnt seem to be many of us!! I have set up a February group, but no replies as yet!! I have already cut my hair to a bob as the first step and I have another hair appointment on the 30th Jan to go shorter again!! Hopefully my fiancee will shave my hair when it starts to come out!! He hates hair everywhere now!!!

I will certainly stock up on some hula hoops!! I have heard that ginger seems to help with the nausea!! Hopefully that bit wont be too bad?
Did you lose your nails?

Eleri xx
JaneyW

Hi Jonsi. I was on AC, but every three weeks last summer. If your name Jonsi79 includes your year of birth it may be that I'm older than you - I celebrated my 60th birthday with the news I'd need chemo! So maybe that's why you'll be having it more often. It wasn't a walk in the park, but it seemed, reading the other ladies' comments in my monthly group, that it gave less nausea. We're the May Moonbeams - and if you've not found your monthly group do so as it's so amazing to be able to 'chat' to other women going through the same as you at the same time. It has it's own section in the 'going through treatment' forum.

My hair did all come out, starting to shed quite suddenly 2 weeks after the first dose. I'd decided in advance to get it shaved off when that happened as I hate loose hair anyway, and I'd arranged with my hairdresser that I'd call her when needed to get a number 2 buzz cut. I do have a wig - auburn as opposed to my natural white in a gesture of defiance - but in fact wore it very little, finding that hats and scarves were easier and more comfy. I did get very tired, and instigated the concept of 'sleeping practice' several times a day after each dose.

They give you very effective tablets to deal with any nausea (and they have in reserve even stronger stuff, so don't suffer in silence, ask for it after the first dose if you find you need it), but they do make you constipated, so don't let that get established.

Other than that be very kind to yourself. Eat before you get hungry, or you'll find you go beyond wanting to eat. And if junk food calls to you, then eat it. I found hula hoops were life savers, and so did the other ladies in our group. If you want chicken nuggets and chips from McD, then have them! Your taste will be weird for a while, so forget healthy eating for a few weeks and eat what you can. You'll have lots of time to get back to that once the AC has done its stuff. There's a forum subject somewhere in the chemo forum on foods that get you through. Ginger beer/ale and tonic water are good drinks, as many drinks taste odd.

I think there aren't many of us on AC, so if you have any questions do ask or send me a message.

Good luck and hugs

Jane

Jonsi79

AC chemo?

Recently been told I'm starting on AC chemo once every fortnight for 4 session. Anyone been on this type of drug? On this dense dose?