AM I HAVING ENOUGH RT????

Hi Everyone, this is my first posting here.

I am 57 and was diagnosed in February with Grade 2 Invasive 12mm tumour and DCIS in right breast. Had WLE and SNB with clear nodes in March. My treatment is Radiotherapy which started on 7th June and Tamoxifen.

My query is that I am having 13 sessions, every other day, over a 5 week period. I asked the Radiologist why only this amount and was told I am having a higher dose each time but he was a big vague. I don’t seem to have come across anyone else having just this amount, 15 to 30 seems to be the norm. Whilst its nice not having to go every day, I am a bit concerned that I am getting enough!! Is anybody else just having this amount?

This site is brilliant. On discovering it, I have gone from a quivering wreck to just about taking things in my stride!

Best wishes to all

Hope thr xrt is going as well as poss, as for your amount 13, just ask next visit if they could check your prescription, as you are worried.I know the work that goes in to the prescription of xrt is very precise and designed for the individual, but ask just to be sure.

good luck x

hello mojo,

I’m having 13 sessions over the 5 week period. one week is mon, wed, friday then following week is tues, thursday and so on. During the 6th week i’ll be going every day which makes that 18 session altogether. I’ve had 3 sessions so far and am beginning to hurt, but things could be worse i suppose. I have the best cancer going called Mucinous cancer and they put me on tamoxifen at diagnosis.

I was under the impression they spread it out over 6 weeks because i told them i still wanted to work… The rad people have told me that i’m only being given the normal amount. i’ll check with them again tomorrow morning how much i’m having.

Hi, I was discussing things with my radiologist the other day, as I am having 25 normal plus 8 booster sessions. She said that I am having the same total normal dose as the ladies having 16 sessions, but lower dose each time, as when done in addition to the 8 boosters the skin can get quite irritated.

It may be that because you are having treatment every other day, rather than every day they can give you a higher dose each time.

Jen

The way they decide what they give you and when is they take the TOTAL amount of radiation that they have decided is right for you, and divide it up. The dosage is measured in GREYS (or is it GRAYS?), so if you were scheduled for 100 and they’re giving it every day for 4 weeks, you’ll get a dosage of 5 every day, or they could give it over 13 separate doses spread out over 5 weeks and you’ll get 7.7 each time. NOTE: I have NO idea if that’s the right sort of number but it’s easy to play with, so please don’t fret about the 100 bit.

There’s a leaflet about radiotherapy on the Publications bit which explains it quite well, you might want to have a look at that to get a good explanation.

Mojo:
Regarding the amount of sessions etc. I heard somewhere that size of breast is taken into consideration when determining how many sessions one has.

I don’t think that whether or not you are working has any influence on how they’ve set up your sessions as I am just about to start week 4 of daily rads and so far I’ve managed to work, with rad appointments at the end of the day, but it is now starting to take it’s toll and I’m thinking of stopping work until my brain unfuzzes.

Lady M:
Nice to see someone else on the board with a mucinous carcinoma, not sure if any cancer can be called the best one, but it’s definitely not as aggressive as other forms.

Hi,

I had a diagnosis of 5.5cm grade two combination of invasive lobular, ductal and lobular in situ with lymph node involvement. After an mx and chemo I had 16 rads daily before going on Tamoxifen. I was curious about how and why they came to the figure and the radiologist was brilliant at explaining it.

She said that it depends on quite a big number of factors which include size of tumour, position, grade and what treatment you have already had, as well as your general build. All of this is carefully assessed before you are measured up for treatment.

One woman I met during treatment had a very similar diagnosis to me but was also having 5 boosters. Which was the main reason why I asked about my treatment and was very much reassured that it was properly tailored to my personal situation.

If you have any concerns ask one of the radiographers to go through it with you. Usually they are quite happy to do so.

Best of luck with your treatment!

Nymeria x

Hi

I finished my RT in March & had 3 weeks worth of 5 days each week. We all have individual plans which in total add up to a certain amount of Gy’s. In my case it was 40 over the 3 weeks.

I asked to see my treatment plan which my RT nurse happily went through with me.

During planning they consider the whole picture of your tumor size; age; general health. I was asked how much exercise I did. As i regularly swim I had mine over the minimum time they could. I jumped at this as I work full-time.

Thankfully I had only a few quite mild SE & this settled after 2 to 3 weeks. After 4 I was swimming again.

Hope all is going well with yours.

Regards
Lynne

Hi All

Re amount of rads- I’m having 50 grays in 25 fractions ie 2 grays every session five days a week for five weeks. Then I’m having another 13.25 grays as a booster over five days. Six weeks in total.

I read the Wikipedia article about radiotherapy before I went for my planning session… I know Wikipedia is not always 100% accurate but at least it gave me an understanding so that I was able to quiz the radiotherapist with a modicum of intelligence. I’m definitely having the IMRT that Sarah mentioned- my RT therapist said pretty much everyone does these days.

I reach the halfway mark tomorrow and so far so good. If I didn’t know I was having radiotherapy I wouldn’t know – if you know what I mean. (The knows have it!)
I’m using aqueous to wash the area and Aloe Vera Gel and E45 Lotion (it’s the E45 Cream that has the lanolin) to moisturize. I’m also doing lots of arm/shoulder exercises to keep everything pain free and mobile. Not going to count my chickens until three weeks post treatment but I’m hoping!

Good Luck with Rads everybody- Diana

Thank you for all your kind replies. I really didn’t understand the technicalities of RT but will try and talk to my Radiologist today to get a clearer picture. I think what I have been worrying about is that whilst the tumour was removed, there was evidence of DCIS and was told the RT would mop them up and I wondered if 13 sessions was enough. Also, I see that many people have far more than me plus boosters. Do you get told you are having boosters at the start of your treatment or is it something you get told whilst your sessions proceed?

Best wishes everyone

Hi,

I am having 20 plus 5 boosters starting the 29th June, I was invasive 9 mm with no node or vascular invasion but I also had 6 x fec chemo.

When i went to see Onc about Rads she told me that my hospital had taken part in some trial that had shown boosters in younger woman (she said 4o yrs & below) had shown good results in preventing reoccurence, I am 41yrs but was 40 when DX so she said she was putting me through for the extra boosters & i have my planning on Friday, must say i havent/didnt ask any questions have just gone with her suggestions, am not sure what amounts i get in 1st 20 ? May ask some questions at planning.

Hope Rads goes or is going well for everyone.

Sarah.xxx

ps, have never really considered myself a younger woman at 41 ??

Sarah, you are definitely a “young” woman at 41. I am 63 and today I have my 11th treatment, and then only 5 more to go, with the weekend off, yippee!!! It does get a bit tedious after a while, especially going every day, but it will soon be over. I am getting on well with my treatment, and no bad effects yet.

chris x

finished 15 rads and 5 boosters 2 day!!! yee haa! ouch ouch ouch! itchy, sore and looks horrid. browny, purple, blotchy boob and armpit yuk! and a comedy nipple. looks like i chewed a field mushroom, spat it out and stuck it on my chest. but im done! yay!!! xxxx

finished 15 rads and 5 boosters 2 day!!! yee haa! ouch ouch ouch! itchy, sore and looks horrid. browny, purple, blotchy boob and armpit yuk! and a comedy nipple. looks like i chewed a field mushroom, spat it out and stuck it on my chest. but im done! yay!!! xxxx

Thanks for making me laugh mummysboob! i’ve had 6 rads now. I shall keep slapping on the cream to avoid a spat out mushroom looking nipple. hehehe

Well, I’m 45 and I’m having 15 over 3 weeks (total 40 GY) to boob and collarbone then 4 boosts totalling another 12 GY.

So far I’ve had 13 of the 15 and am definitely pink and a bit sore and my nipple is very uncomfortable. Not looking forward to the boosts as they’ve done my planning for them and can’t avoid including my nipple in the field. That’ll be a field mushroom for me too then!

Jane xxx

hi ladym and alto, keep up with the cream, didnt really affect me until 14/15 then 5 boosts. just kinda happened all of a sudden! nipple first, then boob. good job i like mushrooms. im 41 and my nipple is 241. well it looks it, hhmmm xxxx