cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ANYONE FROM STOKE ON TRENT AREA

Guest user
Not applicable

Re: ANYONE FROM STOKE ON TRENT AREA

Hi Should be ok for a couple of hours on Thursday ( have become a bit of a hermit since starting chemo) Just look out for me please will bring hubby in with me and then he will go back.

Barbara X

Any probs will post on Thursday

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Girls,

Hope everyone is doing ok.

I had my 4th & final epi last Friday and am just beginning to feel human again!

Sorry I can't do next Thurs as we are going away tomorrow for a week but if the rest of you can make it, go ahead and I hope you all have a good time. We're only going to stay in a caravan just outside Blackpool on the Haven camp but I'm really looking forward to the change of scenery even though it's more for my 7 seven old than for us!!

Let me know how you all get on if you do manage to get together.

love, Carol X

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi ladies,

I could do the Thursday 28th.. its the day before my risk of infection.

Carole well done for taking a stand!

Hope everyone is well, had my 3rd chemo today and feeling happy that I'm half way!

Erin xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all

Sorry Barbara didn't read your post right. 29th will be no good for you what about the night before on the 28th.

Take Care Carolexxxxxxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all

I'm making a stand and arranging a time and place (hope no one minds) how about Fri 29 august at 7pm Weatherspoons Newcastle.

Hope your all okay.

Carolexxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Ladies!

I'm still up for meeting up whenever... I'm having my chemo on Friday (hopefully if the bloods are good) and its 3 out of 6, yay half way!!!

Would people like to meet in the evening or day because if I'm not upto driving I'd have to go in the evening because I get abandoned when everyone goes to work!

Hope everyone is doing well

Erin
xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all,

Glad to see you are all doing okay.

Been keeeping an eye on you post to see how you all.

I can make anytime and place for our meeting as i'm not having any treatment other than Tamoxifen at the moment i'm waiting for someone else to take the lead on a date. I know how unwell and tired you can be when having treatment.

Take Care

Carolexxxxxxxxxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi girls

Hope everyone is doing ok.
Carol - pleased to hear that you have had final epi and are going onto xeloda. Make sure you get plenty of cream for your hands and feet. Many of the girls on the secondary site are on this and one of the side effects is problems with hands and feet and they recommend using udder cream. Good luck with it, at least you don't suffer hair loss.
Erin - bone marrow injections are vile aren't they? I have them now after every chemo and I ache all over for a couple of days. Don't go back until 28th August to see Dr Galardi and if bloods are fine will have the 5th dose on the 29th. So I am enjoying two weeks of feeling well.

Would love to meet up with any of you just say and will get hubby to drop me off. Unfortunately after 40 odd years of driving Dr Brunt has advised me to stop because of the damage to my pelvis caused by the secondary mets. So I get to be chauffeured everywhere !!!!!!

Love Barbara x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi everyone,

Hope you are all doing ok. Are we any further on organising our get together? Did any of you manage to meet up a couple of weeks ago?
As Patsy says, it would be great to put a face to all the names. I'm still happy with Wetherspoons in Newcastle as originally suggested. What does everyone else think?

Well, I've got my 4th & final epi tomorrow (yippee)! then I'm onto 4 cycles of xeloda which is a tablet form. Good job really as my veins are shot to pieces! It took 6 attempts to get the cannula in last time so I hope I don't have the same problem again.

Erin, sorry to hear you've not been too good. Just remember you can always come on here & have a rant. We all know how you feel.

Take care all & keep in touch
love, Carol X

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi All,

Hope you're all doing well. A week to go until my third chemo and doing well... the worst bit of my treatment is the bone marrow injections because they made me ache and they gave me an extra day with my last cycle and I couldn't move around for a day and was in loads of pain so I think I need to not have that many again!

Patsy - I hope that the funeral went as well as could be expected and I think your husbands gran gives hope that bc can be dealt with and then we can all carry on with life!

Barbara - I did look for you at chemo! I might have to miss a week because my blood counts were low for my second one so we may actually catch up at some point, I hope you're doing ok.

Love

Erin
xxx

ForumMember

hi ladies
How are you all doing hope is goin as well as can be expected sending bigs to everyone of u remarkable ladies
i had my 3rd epi on friday felt awfyl after havin it but dnt feel to bad tday only 1 more epi to go then im on cmf my chemo finishes march 27thnxt year seems so long away im goin away saturday carnt wait.My husbands gran died 2 wks ago of heart failure so we have got funural nxt friday she was a remarkable ladie she had breast cancer 32 yrs ago had double mastactomy she died at the age of 84 she will be so missed.
hugs to all carnt wait for us to meet up very soon put a face to everyones names
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Oh dear!

Have i missed it?
Logged on today - Sunday - and have read about meeting up. I'm quite wiped out from chemo (still!)by the evening so could do daytime meeting, week days are better 4 me as try to keep weekends free to spend with my lovely hubby. Don't see him much all week.

Just reading about your hair stories, i never really bothered witht he wig because i found it a constant reminder of the situation. I wear 'head socks' open both ends and stretchy fabric - bought from surf type shops - and have never looked back. I'm counting down the days until my hair can now start growing back. Its been 11 days since my last chemo so let's see if it's 2 - 4 weeks like the info leaflets say........

Anyway, starting to get used to the idea that I'VE GOT NO MORE CHEMO!!!!! Keep grinning away to myself. Promise that there's light at the end of the tunnel. As myparents have said "I have just run the grand national and the winning post is within your sight!"

Keep smiling everyone x x x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Erin

Hope your chemo went Ok on Friday and that you are not suffering too much. My treatment was postponed due to white cells not recovering in time and so I am going again on Monday. This happened after first treatment and I had to wait another week so I am keeping my fingers crossed that bloods are Ok.

Barbara x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Erin

My appointment is at 9.30 on Thursday so probably wont see you then but I usually try to make my chemo appt for about 12 o'clock so look forward to seeing you then.

Barbara x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi All,

I shaved my head today because my hair was coming out in huge clumps and it was annoying me and I was absolutely fine and there were no tears shed!

I'm having my chemo on Friday so wouldn't be available until Weds or Thurs and then its risk of infection after that!... so, if I'm not about for this meeting I'm sure we can arrange another one.

Barbara - I should be in Friday if they ok me on Thursday... I'm in at 10.45 on Thurs so I might even see you then.

Hope you're all well

Erin
xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi girls

Cant make this week either will be having 4th chemo on Friday and so will feel wiped out for at least a week.

Erin. are you at the hospital this week?

Barbara

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Girls,

How lovely to come on here & see that wheels are in motion for our night out. Carole, many thanks for suggesting Weatherspoons in Newcastle, it's fine by me! Also thanks for getting us all organised, I'm really glad you took the bull by the horns. Afraid I can't do Fri or Sat this week but if the rest of you can make it, please go ahead I can always join in next time.

Regarding hair, I've been using the cold cap for all my treatments so far and although it has thinned loads, I still have a covering at the moment. Don't know how long it will last though, as I'm losing more each day. It's the one thing that I've found very hard to deal with in all this and I'll be devastated if I lose it all but if you girls can cope, then I'm sure I can too.

Let me know if you do change the meeting day.

Take care all & keep smiling!
Love, Carol X

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Patsy,

Cant make Saturday this week can do Friday.

Food and drink is fine by me.

Carolexxxxx

ForumMember

carole

carnt wait meet u and everyone else i have my 3rd chemo on the 8th august and i go away for 4 nights on the 16th august arrive bk on the 20th august im able to go anytime from now are we all goin have a drink and a meal hope its ok with everyone else is this saturday to early you will have to let me know
carole thanks for the offer of the lift hugs to everyone
patsy
xxxxxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi All

So glad the wheels are in motion for our night out can't wait to meet you all.

I'll leave it to you girls to arrange a time and a date as i'm not having treatment at the moment and i know you all will be having good and bad days.

Patsy don't worry about a lift I'll pick you up on the way through.

Take Care

Carolexxxxxxxx

ForumMember

hi Carole weatherspoons is fine for me aswell when were u thinking of im feeling pretty energetic at the moment lol
ERIN my hair has also all come out now like you it didint bother me falling out it was when i had to shave it i was devasted but i have now got used to it and havint wore my wig yet just bandanas which i love so stay strong mate thinking of you
hugs
patsy
xxxxxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Guys,

Hope you're all well. I think Weatherspoons in Newcastle is fine for me and if anyone doesn't drive and I'm well enough I don't mind picking someone up (i only have 2 seats in my car!).

My hair has started to fall out and I'm currently trying to put off having a shower because I know loads is going to come out with it! Luckily I got my wigs on Friday so I'm all ready for it and I'm not too bothered at the moment... but I know when I shave it off I'm going to be really really upset! I'm sure I'll get over it though!

Erin
xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi All,

Its very quite at the moment i hope you all okay, have been thinking about you all.

How does Weatherspoons in Newcastle sound for everyone.Feel i need to take the bull by the horn and try to get some thing organised. Hope i'm not being too pussy!

KATE - Hope you can get to somewhere local we could always pick you up at the station.

Take Care

Carolexxxxxxxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Good evening ladies,

Hope you are all doing well.

Well, I've had my 3rd epi today & not feeling too bad so far but it's early days yet. It went fine apart from 6 attempts at finding a vein that would play ball. I feel like a pin cushion! They eneded up using one in my arm but never mind, at least it's another chemo out of the way, then I'm onto Xeloda which is in tablet form so should be better hopefully.

Kate, I'd love to meet up but I don't drive so would struggle to get to Stafford unless I get the train. What does everyone else think?

Enjoy the weather while it lasts girls & keep smiling. There is a light at the end of the tunnel and we're all getting there.

Love, Carol X

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi to all

Feeling quite nervous about this last chemo, its been on my mind since last week. You'd think i'd be used to it now with having 5 previous sessions but its like the end of an era and I look back in awe of everything i'm achieved and got through so far. Just don't like feeling grotty really so it's that i'm not looking forward to. I am dying to get myself back to myself and not have doctors/nurses etcc poking and prodding at every opportunity. I work as a midwife in Dudley and you'd think i'd be used to hospitals etc but it has been a strange experience being a patient and being ill too.

Patsy - don't feel sad about your hair - at least it's one less thing for you to do everyday when you're not feeling well or too tired. Just think of all the new hairstyles you could try that you'd never had dared to try before!

Carole - thanks for the invite- i'd love to meet up. Suggest Stafford/Bridgnorth/Telford for a meeting place north of Wolverhampton. Any other ideas? I'm due to start my radio on August 18th so will be pretty free and daytimes are better for me as I'm off work at present

Good luck to everyone.

Kate xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

hi all.
Name the time and place and i'll be there.

Patsy - glad the chemo went ok. Sorry your feeling sad about your hair. My wigs are under the bed never been worn if you need 1 till yours turns up.

Florrie - Good luck with the Chemo I Know what its like to be ill after the Epi I had everyside effect listed and then developed hand and foot syndrome, but i got through it i just kept thinking what makes me bad will make me better and i took to my bed for a few days. Be good to yourself.

Take Care

Love to you all

Carolexxxxxxxxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi girlies,

Hope you are all doing ok.

I also agree that meeting up would be great. It's just timing it right for everyone as Erin says that might prove a bit difficult but if we get our heads together I'm sure we can work something out.
Sorry to hear about your accident Erin but glad that you're ok. Also glad that your chemo went well on Friday Patsy. I've got my 3rd epi this Friday (if bloods ok) & I'm not looking forward to it as I had a bit of a rough time with the last one but at least it'll be another out of the way. Oatcake, you sound a bit more cheerful now, hope you're feeling better.

Welcome to the new ladies. Sorry you've had to join us but I'm sure you'll find this site an enormous help as I have.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to where & when we could meet up? Somewhere central for us all perhaps?

Enjoy what's left of the weekend!

Love, Carol X

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Guys,

Hope everyone is doing well!

Firstly, i think meeting up would be great it's just going to be picking the best time for everyone!

First chemo has been ok... been pretty tired but been ok... had a bit of a rough day on Thurs though because I decided that I was well enough to go into work to give my sick note in... first time out by myself and first time driving since chemo... I got ten minutes from home and I spun my car on a roundabout and went into it!!! Luckily I was fine and my car had minimal damage but felt like a bloody useless idiot for the rest of the day!!! I've been driving for years and never had a collision or a crash so I think it was bloody sods law lol!

Love

Erin
xxx

ForumMember

Hi carole
My second epi went ok thanx infact ive had no promblems no sickness or anything after this one just feel very tired so all is good with me.Just hope that it stays like this its just the hair loss that im finding hard to cope with at the moment my wigs still havint come im hoping they will be here sometime this week hope everyone else is feeling ok i agree carole would be nice if we could all meet up maybe go somewhere for a meal and a drinkwould be lovely to meet everyone what does everyone think of meeting up
lots of love patsyxxxxxxxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

hi all

hope your all doing ok and not feling too bad after your chemo.

Patsy hope your 2nd Epi went as well as the first was thinking about you Friday.

jenwren - intresting name were you ever in the navy? Don't worry about taking it all in when you go to see Dr Brunt he tapes the consultation and you get to take the tape home where you can listen to it again in more relaxed surroundings I was also able to give the tape to my girls to listen too it was far easier than trying to explain it all to them. I walk the hospital corridors daily so as i've said to the rest of our little group if you want some support let me know.

Foxykate - not to far from Stoke close enough to join our evening out when the rest of the girls are upto it.

Take Care

Carolexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi All
I live in the Stoke area quite close to the hospital. I am also with Mr Kirby and will be meeting Mr Brunt next Friday to discuss chemo. Not sure what or when I'll start. Went for a wig fitting yesterday but the fitter was ill so had to be postponed. I'm 45 with two children 21 and 23-the eldest still living with me.

I think this website is fab and feel comfotred to know that other people understand what we're all going through.

Jennie x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi there, a new girl on the block! Just reading your posts with interest - I'm having my last chemo on 23/7. I live near Wolverhampton so not that far from Stoke. Wishing you all well with the treatments - my advice is to not look to far ahead in the early stages cos it all seems to far away. Also, ASK FOR HELP! We're not superwomen...YET!

LOL
Kate x

Guest user
Not applicable

hi all,

hope you are all okay and your treatments going okay.

Patsy, hope everything goes okay on Friday i'll be thinking about you.

take care
i'll be thinking about you all

Carolexxxxxxxxxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Everyone,

Hope you are all doing ok.

Barbara, sorry to hear that you had to call the nurse out but hope you are feeling better now.

Erin, hope you are still feeling ok after your 1st chemo

Patsy, Good luck for Friday. I'll be thinking of you. Let us know how it goes.

Oatcake, Hope you are feeling a bit more upbeat now. Chin up! We're all here if you feel like having a rant.

Sorry if I've missed anyone

Love & big hugs to all
Carol X

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi guys!

Chemo went ok yesterday... was in for 6 hours and the first nurse I had didn't get the canular in first time which bloody hurt but luckily it went in second time and glad that I'm on my way... eventually!!!

Thanks for coming and saying hello to me Barbara... was lovely to see you... I thought you'd be in there somewhere but I got took straight in and and hooked up!

Hope everyone is doing ok!

Erin
xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi

Chemo went ok yesterday and I managed to introduce myself to Erin which was nice. Still needed to call out the district nurse last night to give me an injection to stop the sickness but I am prepared for it now so it's not too bad, Today is chill out day.

Hope that you will soon be feeling more upbeat Carole. A few days sunshine wouldn't come amiss.

Erin let me know how your chemo went,

Barbara x

ForumMember

aww carole
hope
you are ok babe what you been up to mate this week we will have to meet up and have a good natter would be lovely to meet you
please take care and if u want talk you know where i am
lots of love and a big hug sounds like you need one
patsy
xxxxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

HI Patsy,

Feeling a bit left out actually.Had a very busy week and feelin a bit low at the moment.

Carolex

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Erin & Barbara,

Really hope everything went as well as it could today for you. Sending hugs!

How's everyone else doing?

Hope you all have a good weekend, despite the awful weather!

love, Carol XX

ForumMember

Dear Erin AND Barbara
Hope togay as gone as smoothley as can be expected i ahave been thinking of you both.My second epi is nxt friday hugh hugs to both of you
OATCAKE hope you are doing ok hun xxx
love patsy
xxxxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Erin

I remember seeing a young girl sitting opposite me, I was admiring the shoes!!!! They reminded me of my granddaughter's Lelly Kelly sandals.If that was you I will make a point of speaking tomorrow. As mentioned before no one seems to go in on time so you will probably be in the waiting room when I arrive.

Barbara x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Barbara,

I think I saw you today at the unit! I was with my boyfriend's mum for my pre assessment but and heard the name Barbara!

I'm booked in for 11.30am so hopefully we'll see each other there

Erin
x

ForumMember

HI all un stokies
its so great to come on here and find someone that actually lives close by and are also been treated in same hospital and by the same people my second epi is next friday.My first one well i was booked in for 1oclock and i didint get seen till 4.20 i was so wound up not that i had waited so long but because they didint even ecnowledge i was even there i was so upset and havcint got any faith in goin in on time next week fingers crossed i will but not holding my breath.
good luck barbara and erin for tomorrow ill be thinking of you both please let us know how you both get on
lots of love and strength sent to all of you
lots of hugs
patsy
xxxxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Erin

Onc says I'm ok for chemo tomorrow despite having a nasty cold and I am booked in for 11.45 so will probably start treatment at about 1.00 pm. They do offer you a sandwich if you are there over the lunch period ( not very exciting but it's food) and there are bowls of sweeties to go at
Hubby comes with me so if you are there at same time look out for a grey haired ( it's a wig) slim 60 year old who in a previous life had a passing resemblance to Anne Robinson ( so I'm told)

Good luck Barbara x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Barbara,

Thanks! Well, my boyfriend and best friend are coming with me so we'll probably be the loudest group in there!!! If you spot me please say hi and I hope your blood count is good enough to that you can have your chemo.

Fingers crossed

Erin x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Erin

Might see you on Friday. Will be seeing onc tomorrow for the results of today's blood tests. Last time was disappointed because the white cells were too low and had to wait another week but hey ho that's how it goes sometimes. I am having 6 x FEC and have not felt too bad apart from the first couple of days, then it's back to normal

Be prepared for at least a wait of between half and one hour before your treatment starts, I have never gone in on time yet has anyone else? but the nurses are lovely and i'm sure that you will be fine. Good luck

Barbara

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi girls,

I too think that its a good idea to meet... it would be nice to meet other people that are going through what I'm about too.

Carol my friends and family are supportive but I completely agree that speaking to you all has helped me sooooo much already, its nice to know that you're not alone I suppose and I'll be sure to update you all on how my 1st chemo goes... i'm sure that I'll be fine and I feel a lot less apprehensive now after hearing about all of your experiences. And I don't know how you are feeling at the moment but you do sound like you are made of sterner stuff and I suppose we all have to get through the treatment to get better and return to normality! I'll be thinking of you 🙂

Take care

Erin x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi girlies,

So nice to hear from all you fellow Stokies. I'm having a "feel sorry for myself" day today so just thought I'd come on here and after reading all your posts, feel better already.

I'm very lucky as I have very loving & supportive family and friends but no one knows what it really feels like to walk in our shoes do they?

I had my 2nd chemo last Friday and felt positively awful up until yesterday, to the extent that I was ready to throw the towel in but after talking to my OH & a very helpful oncology nurse have decided to keep going with it even though I'm dreading the next one. I just hope that I have fewer side effects on xeloda than epi. Sorry to moan girls but I've just found it all a bit overwhelming this week.

Patsy,
I think it's a great idea for us to meet up. Just let me know where & when and I'll definitely be there. I think it would give us all something to look forward to which is much needed at the moment.

Erin,
Let us know how your 1st chemo goes on Friday. We'll all be thinking of you. Remember, it'll be one out of the way and another step towards the end of your treatment.

Take care all & stay strong. We potters are made of stern stuff!!

Love & hugs
Carol X

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Patsy

Glad to see you back.
Your very brave about your hair, that was the most devasting part of my Cancer. I never cried when I was dx but cried buckets when Dr Brunt told me my hair would fall out.

I started to lose my hair 4 weeks into my chemo just after my 2nd Epi.
I had the wig but felt so self consious i never wore it.
Everyone told me i looked good without hair but i didnt want to hear it.
Got quite handy at making my head scarfs look nice.Claires do a nice range and reasonably priced.
Needless to say its all grown back now and is a nice length and in very good condition.
I had the Chemo curl it grew back so curly had to invest in very good straightners.

Take Care

Speak to you soon.

Carolexxx

ForumMember

oatcake
Thanks for thinking about me mate im doin ok at the moment goin to pick my wigs up today havint lost any hair yet but i did shave mine of 2 months ago to get used to it on a number 3 and i quite like it .Had 2 wigs also they are really long carnt wait to try them Whe will i lose my hair im not sure when it will happen How are you doing carole hope you are doing well The post before was for barbara ive got chemo brain lol
lots of love
patsy
xxx