Abnormal Mammography

Hi everyone. I have only just discovered this site. I have been having yearly mammograms since 1998. I was under the family history clinic up until this year when I was transferred to the normal screening programme and was called for a mammogram on 27th January to Queen Mary’s Hospital in Sidcup where I have been having mammograms since 1998. I then received a letter on 7th February to say that I had been referred to the Breast Radiology Department at King’s College Hospital for further investigation as an abnormality has been detected on the mammogram. My appointment is later today and I am really worried that it is not going to be good news. I have tried to be positive but am finding it hard for the simple reason that my 39 year old sister passed away from Breast Cancer in May 1998 (she had had a mastectomy in September 1997 and then chemotherapy and radiotherapy) then my 56 year old sister was diagnosed with Breast Cancer in 2001 and had to have a lumpectomy followed by chemotherapy and radiotherapy. Unfortunately her cancer came back in the same breast in 2011 and she had to have a mastectomy. So you see that is the reason I am worried hence why I am typing this up because I cannot sleep for worrying. I am positive though that if it is Breast Cancer then they will have caught it a lot earlier than my other two sisters. Julie

Hi Julie

Given your family history and what you have been through, your head must be spinning.

As you have said, if it is the worst case scenario, then because of the regular screening, you will have been caught sooner.

Thinking of you and hoping it’s nothing. Remember if you need someone to talk to, you can always call the helpline. I’ve done this in the past and it’s a great service.

Good luck!

Hi Julie,

Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care discussion forums, you’ve come to the right place for some good, honest support from the many informed users of this site.

As alesta29 suggests, please do give the helpline here a ring for that extra added support, no question is a silly question, ask away. Calls to the helpline are free, 0808 800 6000 lines open Mon-Fri 9-5 and Sat 9-5.

Take care,
Jo, Facilitator

Julie its good that you have been having annual screening and i know it must be a worry for you with your family history but you are right that they have been monitoring you and if it were to be cancer it would most likely be at the early stages.

however most people recalled do not have cancer… they may just be more vigilant about recalling you if they know you have a family history.

fingers crossed that its nothing serious but we are all here for you if you need us.

Lulu x

Hi Dewdrop

I understand that you head must be all over the place a the moment.

Just wanted to post because I too am under Queen Mary’s. I was referred by my DR as I had lumpy breast tissue (been in same situation twice before but all was fine then). Had appointment for Mamo on 13th Oct 11, after mamo and ultra sound I was given a biopsy and fully expected to go back for results (as had happened previous) they asked me to wait for an hour whilst it was sent to lab. I then saw a consultant an hour later who confirmed BC and given a date there and then for MX 13 days later. This was all done within hours, so I would like to think that maybe they just have some concerns that they would like to get double checked due to your family history.

Take great comfort from Lulu’s posts she has a wealth of knowledge and experience.

If the worst does come to the worst I am sure it will be early stages due to the monitoring.

Please let us now how you get on, good luck x

Thank you so much for all your comments and support.

I am pleased to say that the mammogram I had yesterday (on the new Tomy 3D machine) was okay and the scan. The first mammogram showed up something for them to be concerned about which required further investigation, especially with my family history but the mammogram and scan yesterday were fine. I was able to sleep through the night last night (first time in a week since I received the letter). Although my sister that has survived breast cancer had an abnormal mammogram when she was 54 and was recalled for more tests and they came back negative but two years down the line she developed breast cancer. So I know that I have to be more vigilant with myself inbetween screening times.

Thank you once agains for the encouraging comments. x

Thank you once again for the encouraging comments.

Hi Julie

Just wanted to say I am so so pleased, must be such a weight off your mind.

Think something we all learn from this is to be extra vigilant.

Take Care xx

That’s excellent news… So pleased for you dewdrop

Love Lulu x