cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About DIEP

25 REPLIES 25
Pleasant1

Re: About DIEP

I'm trying to decide whether to undergo a free DIEP operation and would be so grateful if anyone with experience of it at Salisbury District Hospital would be willing to speak to me and/or possibly meet me to discuss. Please PM me if you feel you may be able to help – no pressure!

Theboyz5

Hi.

The best bet is to stay focus and stay positive, everything will be alright if you are positive.
Have gone through a lot yet l will not allow it to put me in a bad mood, for example am going back to Uni. To study Education has a part-time student, my first tutorial class starts today 12th of October . I had mastectomy in 2009 and up till now the procedure continues . Recon.with LB implant in 2011, the implant got infected and it was removed in 2012 , After the removal of the infected implant it took a while before healing but am ok now. And that is the reason am going for DIEP in 2014, and the same time studying to get my mind strong and to stay focus for good.
You can ask me question l will be of help.
Wish you all the best.
Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks for your replies. Yes I had to wait 6 months after chemo and radiotherapy before going on the waiting list and then had to lose 2 stones to get my BMI down to 25 but after that had been told it woulld be 3-4 months which took me to October or November so when I rang at the beginning of October and was then told it wouldn't be till after Xmas I was a bit upset.The waiting list secretary now says it might be December but she can't promise so I've just got to be satisfied with that.I realise that they have to fit in the patients who are having mastectomy and reconstruction at the same time but for those of us who did not have that option it seems such a long wait to get back to ''normal''. I always try to stay positive so I'm looking forward to having a flat tummy in 2014, there has to be some perks

Theboyz5

Hi,

Have seen the Oncoplastic surgeon yesterday which was 3rd of October, we discuss about my DIEP recon. And she said l can talk to one of the patient that had gone through DIEP recon.l was so luck to meet the lady and l was brief about every step of DIEP Recon. which was great and she has got flat tommy too,l will be going for DIEP reconstruction to correct things . My next appointment is February 2014 , but before my appointment I will go for CT scan to make sure everything is ok. At last have got the courage to go for DIEP Recon .
Am saying thank you to every member in the forum.
Theboyz5

I was on waiting list for more than one year before having reconstruction because l had six weeks radiotherapy treatment , my body needs to settle down get healed properly before going to the next step,and at times if there are emergency cases as l was told then when l called my care nurse . You can talk to you nurse if you are anxious about how long you have to wait . Am talking from my own experience l don't know if this answer your question.
chillipink

Hi I had mx and reconstruction at the same time.sorry I can't answer your question
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi So glad you are doing well. Can you tell me how long after your mastectomy it was and once you had been put on the waiting list how long did you have to wait.I had my mastectomy March 2012 and saw the plastic surgeon April 2013 but have just been told I won't get my op until after Xmas. I am getting a bit anxious and I wondered if this long a wait was normal.Hope you don't mind me asking

Theboyz5

Hi,
Am glad that you are okay and the outcome DIEP result is good, my next appointment is on the 3rd of October am looking forward to it. Then l should be able to get a date for the DIEP reconstruction .
Wish you quick recovery.
chillipink

Hi just got home today from diep .what can I say .the result is nothing short of amazing.my stomach is flat and healing very well.yes it feels a little tight but only when sit down or get up.I'm am amazed at the result.no pain in boob just feels little heavy..as each drain comes out more mobile I became.although it hurts to get out of bed I just kept getting up and walking around.can't believe I had diep 7days ago and am up walking normal and feel great .I have no pain at all other than getting in and out of bed and on and off chair.recomend diep to anybody .a few days of pain but the best results for life xx
lilymole

Hi
Wow I am impressed that you are up and feeling like communicating with the world., I hope you don't mind me contacting you but I made the decision last Friday to have DIEP reconstruction at Frenchay and most of the time I still feel quite brave but sometimes I wonder what the...! I think it is much better to have all the detail so I hope you will continue to post on the forum, or dare I ask, email me? Jill alias lilymole.
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi,
I am two weeks into my recovery for the DIEP . I had my operation 3rd Septermer, however, I had to go back in within ours to remove a blood clot and then again to reconnect the flap to an additional blood vessel , 21 hours surgery in 24,tough times!
Would I opt for that option again, yes,yes and yes. Ask your hospital for their care protercol as it tells you what to expect each post op day, mine was pout back two days due to the complications, but every day I became stronger,the care I received in hospital was amazing, the other girls I met I will. Hold close to my heart forever as they were a constant support for me.
Coming home was. Wonderful, I'm lucky to have a supportive husband, you will need someone with you for the first week, and someone to do everything, driving, housework and cooking for weeks after.
looking at your body for the first time is scary, but now I'm happy, my tummy looks flat as a pancake , Breast is amazing .
I'm happy to give you advice on what. Little things make a difference to recovery, believe me, it's the little things that make the most difference.
Take care,
Sara
Theboyz5

Hi,
I don't think there is more to ask at the moment till October 3rd. Everyone had really encouraged me through the information l received on the forum, am giving it a go on my next appointment in October to go for the DIEP.
Wishing you quick recovery .
Thanks to everyone .
BerthaB

Hello,

Just had my op on Tuesday 10th  september got back home tonight. delayed recon of right breast only at oxford radcliffe.  

the first few days were the worst when lots of stuff is attached and you can not move far. 

Then after day 2 things started comming off oxygen drain catheter . last drain at 5PM.

I was also put under a hot blanket which was unpleasant but tollerable for a good result.

3 drains 2 in Tummy and 1 in breast.

the main issue I had was waves of feeling realy sick , but they gave me something to stop me feeling sick and it settled..

Tummy feels more tight than painfull.

Good luck with you op and hope all goes well for you whatever you decide .

If you have other questions your welcome to ask but best to ask me now while it is fresh in my mind ! 

kind regs

BerthaB

Theboyz5

Hi,

Wish you luck and thanks a lot .

Theboyz5
chillipink

Hi am havin diep next week 18th sept at wythenshawe .will let you know how it goes .Amanda x
Theboyz5

Hi Everyone ,

Am saying thank you to everyone for their support and information and my regards to all. l think l can relax for now with all the informations, now have got my appointment date booked for 3rd of October to discuss about the "Free DIEP" has written on my appointment letter. Everyone had really given me the courage and l can't wait to get it off my chest.

Kind Regards

Theboyz5
PurpleShine

I am coming up to 4 weeks post diep surgery.  I had a Bilateral Mastectomy and immediate reconstruction.  Whilst this procedure is a major one I am really pleased with the results so far.  It is possitively amazing what they can do.  I went into this procedure fit and healthy, a routine MRI scan found cancer but is was  very early stages so i was, in a funny way really well.  This will of course helped my recovery.  They take skin, fat and a blood supply from you tummy and used it for your breast reconstruction.  The fat replaces the breast tissue, the skin is used in a circular piece to replace where the nipple was and the blood supply is re connected using microsurgery.  Its a very complex procedure but amazing results.  Obviously I have a big scar on my tummy from hip to hip but this is fairly low down.  My tummy has given me more discomfort than my reconstruction, it does take time to straighten out again but defintely no regrets.

I am happy to go into detail regarding the prcedure but I would recommend a looking at websites such as the wendy watson website and the leaflets from breast cancer care which were good. 

This is my first reply on this website and I really dont know how it all works.  I would be happy to help if you need any other advise. 

I'm 40 years old with 3 young children and coping with life really well now nearly 4 weeks post surgery. No driving yet.

Duffer56

I did a daily 'blog' and this website when i was in hospital and for a few weeks after my discharge - i will try to find it for you if you would like me to. It was a day by day report on all the little steps (which were major to me at the time) - even down to my paranoia about having to cope with the drains and my irrational fear of whether it would hurt to have them removed (wimp or what!) . Most of all it was the Bridget Jones knickers - i was upright on day two because of them - they hold all your bits in and make everything so much more comfortable!
Duffer56

Hi, I don't know if I was fortunate but I never had any pain - only discomfort which was easily relieved just with paracetamol and ibuprofen.
I had a drain in my reconstructed boob and two in my tummy. The boob drain and one of the tummy drains came out after two days and the last one cane out on day three. I think the last drain may have come out a little early as a week later I started leaking from my tummy scar. It wasn't painful but more inconvenient as I had to have dressings changed daily for over a fortnight. I worked on the theory that 'better out than in' !
The tummy scar is still uncomfortable when getting up or down from a laying position and the scar itself feels quite tight. I put it down to me being overweight to start with so there is quite a difference between my nice flat tummy and my still flabby belly. Hey Ho - on the diet we go!
The boob is settling down nicely now - it felt quite tight and solid (I told the surgeon it felt like a Belgian bun) but it is loosening up nicely now.
I did end up back in hospital on antibiotics because I had some fat necrosis I. The boob but that has healed now too.
Feel free to pm me if you want any more info - I am having trouble finding my way Roy d the new site.
Carol
Theboyz5

Hi,

Thanks l would like to know during the operation and after the op what are the complications and is there any abdominal pains for long or just 4 a short time? For how long will l have the drains on my reconstruction side B before the drains can be removed.

Thank you.
Kind Regards

Theboyz7
Duffer56

Hi, I had my DIEP just over three months ago. If I can answer any questions fur you I am more than happy to try
Theboyz5

Hi Jo,

Thanks have checked the website and is really helpful .

Kind Regards

Theboyz 5
Theboyz5

Hi BerthaB,

Thank you for the information am living in Essex l will email them and see how it goes
Once again thank you l really do appreciate it.

Kind Regards
BerthaB

Hello

I am about to go through this recon next week.

Unsure where you are but there is a BRA group I attended in Oxford.

They happen monthly normaly Thursday evening. ( there is one tonight !)

You can mail them on oxfordbreastreconstruction@gmail.com

At the meeting the consultant goes through the various procedures including DIEP Flap and  ladies who have undergone similar surgery are rather brave and do a show and tell. You can discuss and ask questions.

I was unsure if was going to help but it did and answered a lot of questions.

Kind regards,

BerthaB

Jo_BCC

Hi theboyz5

While you are waiting for replies from your fellow forum users I have put for you below the link to BCC's publication for reconstruction.  I have also put you the link to the area of this website where we have an animated publication which explains about the different types of reconstruction.  I hope you find it helpful. 

Please do give the helpline here  a ring they will be able to talk to you in detail about any questions you have.  Calls are free, lines open weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2.  0808 800 6000

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/breast-reconstruction-bcc7

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/node/1153855

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Theboyz5

About DIEP

Hello Everyone,

Please l need a quick advice and information about DIEP breast reconstruction . Am going for another surgery on my LB ,because the implant was removed due to infection and l was told that the only option to put it right is to go for DIEP where l can see the Oncoplastic surgeon to discuss about the free flap reconstruction with me(DIEP). And my consultant is yet to confirm the appointment date but have received a letter that she will discuss my case with the Oncoplastic surgeon to put things right. The first reconstruction was my back muscle + tissue was taken to form my breast added with Becker implant that was removed .

I need someone that might have gone through DIEP free flap reconstruction to let me know the procedure . Although have been given guidelines to go through and my care nurse had discuss with me, but l need anyone that has gone through this reconstruction to talk with. Date is not fix yet until have seen the Oncoplastic surgeon together my surgeon to discuss before the date for the surgery can be booked or confirm.
Thanks xxx