About DIEP

Hello Everyone,

Please l need a quick advice and information about DIEP breast reconstruction . Am going for another surgery on my LB ,because the implant was removed due to infection and l was told that the only option to put it right is to go for DIEP where l can see the Oncoplastic surgeon to discuss about the free flap reconstruction with me(DIEP). And my consultant is yet to confirm the appointment date but have received a letter that she will discuss my case with the Oncoplastic surgeon to put things right. The first reconstruction was my back muscle + tissue was taken to form my breast added with Becker implant that was removed .

I need someone that might have gone through DIEP free flap reconstruction to let me know the procedure . Although have been given guidelines to go through and my care nurse had discuss with me, but l need anyone that has gone through this reconstruction to talk with. Date is not fix yet until have seen the Oncoplastic surgeon together my surgeon to discuss before the date for the surgery can be booked or confirm.
Thanks xxx

Hi theboyz5

While you are waiting for replies from your fellow forum users I have put for you below the link to BCC’s publication for reconstruction.  I have also put you the link to the area of this website where we have an animated publication which explains about the different types of reconstruction.  I hope you find it helpful. 

Please do give the helpline here  a ring they will be able to talk to you in detail about any questions you have.  Calls are free, lines open weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2.  0808 800 6000

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/breast-reconstruction-bcc7

breastcancercare.org.uk/node/1153855

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Hello

I am about to go through this recon next week.

Unsure where you are but there is a BRA group I attended in Oxford.

They happen monthly normaly Thursday evening. ( there is one tonight !)

You can mail them on oxfordbreastreconstruction@gmail.com

At the meeting the consultant goes through the various procedures including DIEP Flap and  ladies who have undergone similar surgery are rather brave and do a show and tell. You can discuss and ask questions.

I was unsure if was going to help but it did and answered a lot of questions.

Kind regards,

BerthaB

Hi, I had my DIEP just over three months ago. If I can answer any questions fur you I am more than happy to try

Hi, I don’t know if I was fortunate but I never had any pain - only discomfort which was easily relieved just with paracetamol and ibuprofen.
I had a drain in my reconstructed boob and two in my tummy. The boob drain and one of the tummy drains came out after two days and the last one cane out on day three. I think the last drain may have come out a little early as a week later I started leaking from my tummy scar. It wasn’t painful but more inconvenient as I had to have dressings changed daily for over a fortnight. I worked on the theory that ‘better out than in’ !
The tummy scar is still uncomfortable when getting up or down from a laying position and the scar itself feels quite tight. I put it down to me being overweight to start with so there is quite a difference between my nice flat tummy and my still flabby belly. Hey Ho - on the diet we go!
The boob is settling down nicely now - it felt quite tight and solid (I told the surgeon it felt like a Belgian bun) but it is loosening up nicely now.
I did end up back in hospital on antibiotics because I had some fat necrosis I. The boob but that has healed now too.
Feel free to pm me if you want any more info - I am having trouble finding my way Roy d the new site.
Carol

I am coming up to 4 weeks post diep surgery.  I had a Bilateral Mastectomy and immediate reconstruction.  Whilst this procedure is a major one I am really pleased with the results so far.  It is possitively amazing what they can do.  I went into this procedure fit and healthy, a routine MRI scan found cancer but is was  very early stages so i was, in a funny way really well.  This will of course helped my recovery.  They take skin, fat and a blood supply from you tummy and used it for your breast reconstruction.  The fat replaces the breast tissue, the skin is used in a circular piece to replace where the nipple was and the blood supply is re connected using microsurgery.  Its a very complex procedure but amazing results.  Obviously I have a big scar on my tummy from hip to hip but this is fairly low down.  My tummy has given me more discomfort than my reconstruction, it does take time to straighten out again but defintely no regrets.

I am happy to go into detail regarding the prcedure but I would recommend a looking at websites such as the wendy watson website and the leaflets from breast cancer care which were good. 

This is my first reply on this website and I really dont know how it all works.  I would be happy to help if you need any other advise. 

I’m 40 years old with 3 young children and coping with life really well now nearly 4 weeks post surgery. No driving yet.

Hi am havin diep next week 18th sept at wythenshawe .will let you know how it goes .Amanda x

Hi,
I don’t think there is more to ask at the moment till October 3rd. Everyone had really encouraged me through the information l received on the forum, am giving it a go on my next appointment in October to go for the DIEP.
Wishing you quick recovery .
Thanks to everyone .

Hi,
I am two weeks into my recovery for the DIEP . I had my operation 3rd Septermer, however, I had to go back in within ours to remove a blood clot and then again to reconnect the flap to an additional blood vessel , 21 hours surgery in 24,tough times!
Would I opt for that option again, yes,yes and yes. Ask your hospital for their care protercol as it tells you what to expect each post op day, mine was pout back two days due to the complications, but every day I became stronger,the care I received in hospital was amazing, the other girls I met I will. Hold close to my heart forever as they were a constant support for me.
Coming home was. Wonderful, I’m lucky to have a supportive husband, you will need someone with you for the first week, and someone to do everything, driving, housework and cooking for weeks after.
looking at your body for the first time is scary, but now I’m happy, my tummy looks flat as a pancake , Breast is amazing .
I’m happy to give you advice on what. Little things make a difference to recovery, believe me, it’s the little things that make the most difference.
Take care,
Sara

Hi just got home today from diep .what can I say .the result is nothing short of amazing.my stomach is flat and healing very well.yes it feels a little tight but only when sit down or get up.I’m am amazed at the result.no pain in boob just feels little heavy…as each drain comes out more mobile I became.although it hurts to get out of bed I just kept getting up and walking around.can’t believe I had diep 7days ago and am up walking normal and feel great .I have no pain at all other than getting in and out of bed and on and off chair.recomend diep to anybody .a few days of pain but the best results for life xx

Hi,
Am glad that you are okay and the outcome DIEP result is good, my next appointment is on the 3rd of October am looking forward to it. Then l should be able to get a date for the DIEP reconstruction .
Wish you quick recovery.

Hi,

Have seen the Oncoplastic surgeon yesterday which was 3rd of October, we discuss about my DIEP recon. And she said l can talk to one of the patient that had gone through DIEP recon.l was so luck to meet the lady and l was brief about every step of DIEP Recon. which was great and she has got flat tommy too,l will be going for DIEP reconstruction to correct things . My next appointment is February 2014 , but before my appointment I will go for CT scan to make sure everything is ok. At last have got the courage to go for DIEP Recon .
Am saying thank you to every member in the forum.

Thanks for your replies. Yes I had to wait 6 months after chemo and radiotherapy before going on the waiting list and then had to lose 2 stones to get my BMI down to 25 but after that had been told it woulld be 3-4 months which took me to October or November so when I rang at the beginning of October and was then told it wouldn’t be till after Xmas I was a bit upset.The waiting list secretary now says it might be December but she can’t promise so I’ve just got to be satisfied with that.I realise that they have to fit in the patients who are having mastectomy and reconstruction at the same time but for those of us who did not have that option it seems such a long wait to get back to ‘‘normal’’. I always try to stay positive so I’m looking forward to having a flat tummy in 2014, there has to be some perks

I’m trying to decide whether to undergo a free DIEP operation and would be so grateful if anyone with experience of it at Salisbury District Hospital would be willing to speak to me and/or possibly meet me to discuss. Please PM me if you feel you may be able to help – no pressure!