cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Abraxane/ Avastin outcomes?

10 REPLIES 10
Downbutnotout

Re: Abraxane/ Avastin outcomes?

Hi Mulligans - I had two doses of Abraxane (the weekly dose) while in a German oncology clinic. My skin mets and nodes reduced considerably over the two weeks. I've been on weekly Paclitaxel since coming home. My onc said because I'm having a weekly dose the side effects will be less. I hope you tolerate it well and have a very good and quick result.

Best wishes.

X

mulligans

Hi Julia, I'm starting Abraxane at the end of the month. Large dose every 3 weeks. I have bone mets and a small pocket of fluid was noticed in one of my lungs. No disease can be seen there. Just looking for information. Did you tolerate it okay and did you see positive results. Hope you are doing well

EJ81

Best of luck Julia. I found Abraxane really tough but I did get good results on it. In fact I was unlucky to have it stopped as I was forced to have a break after my port got badly infected and then couldn't go back on it. I used to take throat sweets with me as it seemed to help if I had them during the infusion.

Also keep an eye on your arms and legs as it triggered some swelling in mine which was helped by getting treatment from the Lymphodeoma team. Xxx

Cress

Hello All,

I had my first Abraxane (without Avastin) on Friday, due to a severe reaction to my 3rd dose of Taxol. You're right in thinking that it's the same drug, but my onc (who's also a researcher), said that the se's are worse on Abraxane, in particular, the neuropathy.

That's certainly what I'm finding. I'm on one big dose every three weeks and it's really hit me! I have painful nails and numb fingers, nose bleeds, huge fatigue, nausea and problems swallowing. I'm just hoping that I feel better next week, so I can get a bit of respite and build myself up for the next hit.

My two weeks on Taxol were a walk in the park by comparison. Hope the results on Abraxane are worth it.

Please let us know of any good scans... that is always cheering!

Best,

Julia x

EJ81

Hi Stresshead,

Abraxane is the same as Taxol. It is the same drugs in a different solution. I only ended up on abraxane because I had a serious allergic reaction to taxol. Abraxane is more expensive which is why they give Taxol as default. I am sorry to hear about you being denied avastin. It might still be being used in some trials? I am not sure but it might be worth finding out xxx

stresshead

Hi ladies..i was on weekly taxol for a few cycles at the end of last year and when i asked about abraxane was told it was no diferent or better than wekly taxol. I asked about having avastin and was at first told it was not effective (thats why it was coming of the CDF) i wasnt happy with this and my onc  then told  me he would apply for it and keep it in reserve if taxol wasnt enough. when this time came i was then told i couldnt have it as i had already had 2 lines of chemo beforehand. I am so cross to think this could have worked for me but, basically because of money, i was denied the chance to try. I hope you keep getting good results. x

EJ81

I'm on 3 on 1 off too. Not sure of the dose but I think they may have to reduce it soon as the plan is to keep going as long as its effective but I am getting quite a few side effects. My nails have been very sore but are now more numb which is actually a relief! Although I think they are starting to lift now which isn't great. I get nosebleeds quite a lot too and just recently have started getting swelling in my arms, legs and face! Oh and the abraxane makes me cough as soon as it starts going in so I really hope I'm not developing an allergy to it. By the time I've had the 3rd one I'm definitely ready for the week off. On the whole though I actually feel pretty well day to day! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for your results xxx

Mariposa52

Hi thanks for replying -  started chemo in june and had 3 weekly low doasges and then one week off ,so took a long time for 6 cycles! Just finished at end of December. The side effects  were ok. Miuch better than FEC which I had 4 years ago.The neuropathy wasnt too bad although there is still a heavy tingly feeling when i press my nails. The worst SE for me has been a runny nose and a few months where I had the symptoms of a head cold I couldnt get rid off.Since I have stopped treatment that seems to have been alleviated but still there! I use an allergy spray to help it sometimes. So am awaiting scan results any day now to see of it has done its job. The first scan after 3 months was favourable but am very anxious. Would be interested to see how you are getting on. Fingers crossed.

EJ81

Hi Mariposa,

I'm currently on my 5th cycle of abraxane and avastin. Have only had one scan so far but the results were positive. I finish my next cycle at the end of Feb and think I have another scan then. Fingers crossed its doing the job for both of us still. How are you finding the side effects? Ellie xxx

Sam_BCC

Hi Mariposa52

Whilst you ware waiting for the other users to reply with their knowledge and experience do give the BCC helpline a call on 0808 800 6000.  Here you can share your thoughts and concerns with a memeber of staff who will offer you a listening ear as well as emotional support and practical information.  Lines are open weekdays 9 to 5pm and Saturday 10 to 3pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Mariposa52

Abraxane/ Avastin outcomes?

Hi ladies I have just finished a chemo combo since June of paxlitaxel then switched to abraxane due to a skin reaction and also been receiving Avastin .. Had good results after last scan but anxious about this one. Thank you!