Abraxane

Hi all

I have bone and lung mets which haven’t responded to capecitabine (oral chemo) so oncologist has recommended i start on abraxane IV every 3 weeks. Was just wondering how other people have found this eg side effects and if it has been effective.

Best wishes to you all, thanks…Trish

Hi Trish,
I dont have secondaries, but was given Abraxane as had an allergic reaction to tax.
Unfortunately there is not a lot of information out there on it. As you will be aware its a new chemo drug, very effective, very expensive (I am guessing that is why its not used as much as it should be)
Anyways, its given by drip and takes about half an hour.
My side effects were minimal, taste being the only one that was as bad as FEC.
My hair started growing towards the end of FEC, but completely went on Abraxane - eyebrows, eyelashes, everything… that said, everything started growing within a few weeks.
I had 4 FEC, 2 Tax and 3 abraxane… Abraxane was definitely the easiest. But with all of them, I took the anti nausea pills like clockwork and didnt wait until I was feeling sick.
Best wishes
Marguerite

Hi Trish, I had abraxane last year. Lost all my hair and had joint pain/ tiredness about 2 days after treatmentwhich lasted for a few days- controllable with pain killers. It stablised my lung and bone mets for a while. Like you, cabecitabine did nothing for me. Hope the Abraxane is very effective for you. Nicky x

Thanks for your comments ladies, i found them positive and helpful and at the end of the day you just have to get on with it and keep your fingers crossed. Best wishes to you both with your own treatment.

Trish xx