Aches and Twinges

Aches and Twinges

Aches and Twinges Hiya all,

Im sorry for the moan in advance!

I had my 1st Taxotere in friday (ive had 3 x EC beforehand), well, I know people said to expect aches and pains but I wasnt ready for this!

I feel like im aching all over. I have pains in my ribs like I have been booted by a donkey. The aches I can cope with, what im finding more annoying is the twinges I keep getting. Its like the muscles in my ribs and back keep twinging into little spasms. Also getting twinges in the right side of my brain. I can only describe the twinges as a bit like electric shock type pains. Has anyone else had this??? Is this normal??

I feel soooo restless I dont know what to do with myself. Have raging indegestion which is also making me feel miserable.

Im getting really fed up of feeling yukky now. I cant remember what it is like to feel “normal” anymore.

I feel like refusing anymore treatment as feel like its going on forever and I cant take anymore. At the moment I cant see how being put thru all this cr*p is going to help?

I know im just feeling sorry for myself and im sorry for whining but I need to get it off my chest.

Has anyone else felt like giving in?

Oh god yes!! Hi Julie,

yes, yes, yes!! No offence but I’m relieved to hear that I’m not the only one that feels like throwing in the towel!!!

I am not on the same chemo as you (I’m having e-cmf) so can’t totally relate to your side effects as I know they’re all different but I know what you mean about not feeling ‘normal’. I had my 3rd epi last weds and STILL don’t feel normal. My head is foggy and all over the place and my get up and go has got up and **ss*e* off! I know that in a day or 2 I will start to feel more ‘human’ just ready for round 4!! Its days like these though that I really feel like throwing in the towel and just saying ‘thats it, I’ve had enough. No More!’.

I keep telling myself that going through all this will be worth it in the end but the treatment just seems soooo long. Sorry to witter on, but I do totally empathise with you,

Take care and may we all feel ‘normal’ again v.v.soon,

Kelly
-x-

Julie,
I didn’t have aches & twinges on taxotere, but I had just about everything else on the list of potential side effects including reflux indigestion. The latter was sorted out by omeprazole prescribed by my GP. If you have any other side effects, go to your GP - you might end up rattling full of pills, but the things really work.
Lynn

Hi Julie

Sorry to hear that the Taxotere is affecting you so badly, it is a pretty nasty substance. I finished my 4th Tax yesterday, previously I had 4 AC.
I tried over the counter indigestion remedies that only reduced the symptoms slightly, but mentioned it to the onc who prescribed ‘omeprazole’ and it went instantly, I have stayed on this all the time now and it really has worked.

As to your joint pain, I suffer from aches and a particular pain in my left knee, which gets me down. But the pains were much worse for the first cycle, so yours may get better. The first one I couldn’t keep my legs still they hurt so much and my fingers throbbed and felt like they had been immersed in boiling water for a few days, but these symptoms didn’t come back again. But do mention them to your onc, as they may be able to prescribe something. Bizarrely my pains go completely when i am on the dexomethosone before and during the next chemo, but am reluctant to stay on steroids any longer than necessary, because I don’t want any more weight gain.

I really hope that you are able to sort out these problems talk to the onc or your GP about them as there are medications to help! And a nother word of advice don’t forget to take your temperature regularly and cover your nails in nail varnish to stop them peeling/dropping off.

Good Luck with the rest of your treatment

Nicky x

Hello Julie

yes I felt like giving up after my first Taxotere but I didn’t and am very pleased I completed the course as Taxotere is supposed to be a very good chemo.

I didn’t have much in the way of muscle pains but had just about everything else - very bad gut and stomach pains, oral thrush, itchy rash, terrible depression etc. My second and third Taxoteres weren’t as bad.

I agree with the advice of the others who’ve replied and haven’t got anything else useful to add. But hang in there - you’ll get through it.

Love Anthi

me too I had horrible joint pain that had me rolling round the bed. This usually started after steroids had worn off. I think I suffered from every symptom whilst on it but rarely said anything to the oncologist I was so scared he’d stop it. I n my head I had this thought that the worse I felt the more it was doing to the cancer. I know this is probably not fact but it helped me deal with it, I am nearly 7 weeks post tax and still have a metallic taste in mouth and indigestion. For the pain I was advised to start painkillers on day three after chemo. Take the recommended dose regularly for a few days. This seemed to work and although had joint pain it was nowhere near as bad. Stick with it if you can. Take care love Eileen

Hi
Yes I threaten to give up after my first tax but did not. Now 4 months post chemo I feels 95% back to normal. I also had the pains, sometimes they were so sharp and sudden that I would yelp out.
Just hang on in there, this stuff is harsh but has brill results.

Love Geraldine45