Advice about fibrodemas please!

Hi,

I’m 29 and have a 3 year old son. When I was 22 I had a cyst in one of my breasts once and I was wasn’t worried as it was obviously a cyst (it was red and close to the surface and it drained easily).

Almost 2 years ago I noticed a big lump in my right breast and went straight to my GP. She felt it and said I have lumpy breasts generally and the bits in my right breast were fibrodemas. I was totally reassured by this - the lumpy sections move around and they feel like lots of little lumps sort of joined together. She did say to keep an eye on it though.

Since then I always check my breasts when I’m in the bath and about a month ago I noticed the lumpy bits felt more firm and noticeable but not enough to worry me. Then, about 3 weeks ago I felt a new lump on the right side where there wasn’t one before. It’s close down by my ribs (so much that I thought maybe I was feeling my rib at first) and I think it feels quite different from the others. It doesn’t move around so freely and it’s a lot firmer. If I press my fingers along my rib until I reach that point I can feel a definite sort of ‘hump’ when I get to that bit. It’s not really lump shaped either, it’s more like a short stripe going down into my nipple(about the size of a penny but a different shape).

So, I went to see a locum GP as mine was away. She said that my left breast is not lumpy at all, just the right one and that the new bit felt like normal tissue to her (but it doesn’t to me!). I have recently been trying to get pregnant again and she said the lump would be normal if I turned out to be pregnant. I hoped I was pregnant this month, but as I got my period a few days ago I know I’m not now. The locum told me to come back in 3 weeks/ 1 month if it didn’t go and said I would be sent for a mammogram.

Although it’s only been just over 2 weeks, I’m going back to the GP today as I’m so worried! Also, I feel I have to put off trying for a baby until I get it checked, so I don’t want to wait too long. In addition I’ve got my final Uni. exams coming up in May and I’m so distracted I can’t revise or do my work.

So, I looked at a breast cancer forum on another site and I saw that some people have fibrodemas biopsied. Can anyone tell me if this is normal? Should I insist that they do this even if the new lump is considered a fibrodema? I saw that a woman had written saying that breast cancer is more likely to develop in a fibrodema and people should always have them removed. This really scared me! Now I’m worrying that I should have had the original lumps investigated and that they may have had cancer in them after all.

Also, is it normal to have a lumpy breast but only on one side? There’s nothing at all on my left one. It’s totally soft. I feel like the lump I can feel is somehow ‘different’ to the other ones and I have a bad feeling about it but because of my age (and I have no family history of breast cancer) I don’t know if I can insist on having it investigated more.

I know I’ll have to ask the doctor later today (a different female locum!) but I just wondered what my rights are if she tells me it’s nothing to worry about. I don’t want to over-react but I just keep poking at it all the time and every time I do it seems bigger! It appeared at least 3 weeks before my last period so I don’t think it’s hormonal.

Thank you for reading this,

Rosie xxxx

Hi, it’s me again already!

I have actually been to the doctors now and saw a nice young doctor who has referred me to the breast clinic at out local hospital. She said I’ll be seen within 2 weeks and get a letter next week. She also said she thinks it’s a ‘breast mouse’ so not to worry too much.

I feel fine about that but the doctor said that as well as an ultrasound they are likely to do a fine needle aspiration. Has anyone had this and does it hurt? I just looked on the internet and it seems that you don’t have an anasthetic first - I am an absolute wimp and have a low pain threshold do if it’s painful I need to know in advance! Also, do they tell you what the scan says on the day or do you have to wait for a letter?

Thank you if anyone can answer my questions.

xxxx

hi sorry can’t help i’ve not been seen at BC yet but just wanted to say hello & wish you luck.
As you are being seen in 2 weeks was she worried or not? I’ve had to wait 5 weeks to be seen as my doc things it’s ok but needs checking out?

Hello,

I wondered about the 2 week thing - doctor said that she will put ‘suspicion of cancer’ on the referral but not to worry to much as because of my age and how it feels to her she thinks the suspicion is very low. Maybe it just depends on the area you live in? because she did say they’ve started a new system and she checked on the computer before saying I’d be seen in two weeks.

I’m sorry you’ve had to wait so long, that must have been hard. I am trying not to think about the apt but I know I won’t relax until I know for certain. Good luck with your apt, I hope you have good news.

Rosie xx

the 2 week thing, its down to the hospital/consultants discretion. they were meant to see me within 2 weeks but the consultant decided coz of my age i didnt need to be seen for 8 weeks. so yea itl depend on the hosp/clic and how busy they are and stuff. also if u have fibrocytic cond i guess they may be less likely to take it seriously, i dunno. im sure itl b fine, but its good your getting it checked out. hope u hear soon. x