Advice needed..Been for an ultrasound today - good news but I don't feel relieved...

Hi Guys,

Came on here for some advice really… I noticed a lump several weeks ago, finally went to see my GP after i realised that it wasnt going… GP referred me to the breast clinic which i attended this morning. 

Had a meeting with the doctor, he examined me and stated he didnt feel it was anything to be concerned about but referred me to have an ultrasound anyway. The radiologist examined me and she found 2 lumps approx 1cm each very close to each other in my right breast… she told me she thought the were benign (Thank goodness) but wanted a second opinion from a consultant as to whether to go ahead with a biopsy as im under 25 they normally dont do it… she quickly came in an agreed that a biopsy wasnt necessary and left again.

I was sent back to the the first doctor who examined me and his advice was to examine myself each month during the middle of my menstural cycle and see if there are any changes, if it increases in size at any point to go back to my GP  for a referral and i’ll be checked again. 

I am aware that this site is for those that have had clear diagnosis of BC, and even though ive had good news, im left thinking, well how to they know if its benign without taking a sample? Perhaps its just because ive got myself worked up ahead of the appointment… i dont know lol… i just wondered if any one else has had a simular experience. 

Thanks

Hi. I had a similar experience on the 5th Feb. I had pains in my left breast, no lump. I went to my GP and she referred me to the breast clinic for a mammogram. The surgeon felt no lump and I had the mammogram which showed nothing but dense breast tissue. I was called in for an ultrasound, totally by accident, but it was there that they found a lump - or rather two small lumps linked together. I was told it was 80% benign but I had a FNA and four biposies there and then. It was all a huge shock as I was about to go home!! I go back for my results on Thursday and am preparing myself for the worst tbh. I am not sure how they can be 100% accurate that your lumps are benign without doing further tests unless they really can tell what is cancer and what isn’t from the way it looks, feels etc. Your age probably has got something to do with it (I am 45) but a friend was diagnosed with BC aged 28 so younger people can be affected. I think if you are worried you should go back to your GP and tell them so. There is nothing worse than living with doubt and worry. It’s not good for you x

Hi cece and welcome to the BCC forums

Along with the support here please feel free to call our helpliners to talk through the concerns you have, lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturdays on 0808 800 6000

Take care
Lucy BCC

The healthcare professionals are excellent and if there was any doubt whatsoever you would have had further tests. But you are right, any changes and go straight back.
My pain is on and off but usually around my period. I found changing my bra helped massively too as I was wearing ones that were too small. It’s a shooting pain. X

Hi, I am also under 25 and going through a similar experience. I found a lump in my right breast a couple of years ago which after a ultrasound was found to be a cyst. Due to my age they allowed me time to see of things settled which it didn’t so the following year I had it drained. The area where the cysy was seems to have hardened and I now have a lump which I believe had got bigger. I attended the clinic last week and my ultrasound was ‘suspicious’ the lump was being shown as a crease and as a precaution they checked my underarm to which they found another area of concern. I had to have a mammogram although uncommon for people our age because of the density of the breast makes the images unclear. I also had numerous biopsies taken from both my right breast and underarm. I was given the cancer talk and I receive my results tomorrow. I was told it is uncommon for someone my age but not impossible. From my experience the consultants know exactly what they are looking for and what is to be of concern. But I also know from experience how difficult it is to be dealing with any breast issues at our age.

Oh Petal. You must be so worried. Bless you. Have you got lots of family support? I get my results tomorrow too. Please let me know how you get on. Keeping everything crossed for you and remember BC can be treated and you WILL get better xxx

Hello,

I am 24 & going through something similar

I noticed a large lump on my breast and went to the GP who said she wasn’t worried but would refer me to the breast clinic “in 10-14days”. It took over a month to get to the clinic despite me chasing it up with them and their response was based on my age they won’t make urgent referrals regardless of symptoms.

I went to the clinic on 13th March and I had mammograms and ultrasound and biopsies as well as a metal tag inserted into the lump.

My experiences have been that doctors are prejudiced because of my age but if you are worried and want further tests explain that you’re finding it too stressful… That helped hurry along my breast clinic appointment. :slight_smile:

Please keep us updated x x x