Advice needed please

Hi All,

I am just writing for some advice in what to do in my situation.

I am 25. Early December my partner noticed my breasts felt hard and lumpy (more so the right but both have thickening on the top inside). I waited two weeks to see if it went away and as it didnt I went to visit the GP.

GP had a feel and seemed very concerned. Said it felt like mastitis but as I wasnt pregnant or breast feeding she didnt think it was likely. She thought she could feel a lump in the right aswell in particular, although to me they just both seem thick and lumpy. Anyway, she referred me to the hospital.

Hospital saw me just over a week later, had the ultrasound first, he said he couldnt see anything sinister but the right did feel particularly lumpy.

Then I went into the consultant who felt round my neck and armpits but didnt really feel my breasts. She said I was normal and then proceeded to tell me all about breast pain (dispite me telling her that I didnt have any three times) and gave me a diary to record my breast pain (that I don’t have) and sent me off!

I went back to the GP a week later, she said she hadn’t had the results yet but if the hospital said it was normal then I should be happy with that and that am too young to be worried about anything.

I am still worried? Should I be? My only symptoms are the thickening lumpyness on the top inside of both breasts (more so on the right). No pain, and no real individual lump that I can see. I have heard about Inflammatory Breast Cancer, but I dont have any changes to the skin really, no itching etc. My breasts are quite hot but could that just be my body temp? They are not red.

My family keep telling me to go back but it’s embarrasing to be made to feel like your wasting the GPs time and thats how I felt when I went back after the hospital!

Hello jefferius

Welcome to the forums, this must be a very worrying time for you, I’m sure the users of the site will be along to support you soon.

Whilst waiting for replies maybe you would like to talk things through with a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer emotional support as well as practical information.
The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 9.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes
June, moderator

Hi Jefferius,

One simple piece of advice - don’t stop pestering until you are satisfied that all is well. GPs are programmed to reassure. Mine is my niece and she assured me I had a cyst but sent me to breast clinic immediately - that cyst was a 5 cm tumour and cost me my breast and 6 months of treatment.

With any luck you will have nothing to worry about but it’s your body and you and your partner know it best.
There are many causes of breast symptoms that are benign but that doesn’t stop anyone worrying when they find them.

Hope the next post from you is a goodbye note because you no longer need us. If otherwise, you will get a lot of strength from these forums.

Big hugs,
Kathleen

Hi Kathleen,

Thanks for that. It was the GP that got me so concerned in the first place, she said it didnt feel right in those areas and that it felt like mastitis. And then the ultrasound man said it felt really lumpy.

I just want an answer as to what it is because it doesnt feel normal to me, and it didnt feel normal to the GP. But now she says the hospital are the experts and if the consultant felt it and said its normal then thats what it is?!

She said to go back in three months if I am still worried, but then you hear all these stories about people being sent away again and again and then its too late.

I felt like I was being fobbed off because of my age to be honest. The consultant just kept saying I was too young to have anything to worry about, and what concerned me more was she kept telling me about breast pain, even though I don’t have any! She clearly wasn’t interested in the symptoms I had gone with.

Should I ask for a second opinion or just wait another three months? It has already been nearly two and no change really, still hard and lumpy.

Emma

Hi Emma,
Go in and scream & shout, cry or even throw a tantrum if need be!!!
It’s your body and your life that we’re talking about… Please don’t be fobbed off.
Sorry that was a bit strong, but I was told on 3 different occasions & by 2 different Dr’s that there was nothing to worry about! It cost me a 4 month delay & yes 2 of my lymph nodes were affected and I will always wonder what if…
Big hugs
Stella x

Hi Emma,

To reiterate what Stella said, go in there and scream, shout, do whatever you have to. Don’t be fobbed off. BC is curable but only if caught early enough.

I was living in Ireland when I was diagnosed 18 months ago, and their health service have it down to a tee. If you go to your GP with anything to do with lumps bumps, feelings etc in your breast they have to refer you to the breast unit within 2 weeks whether or not they think you have cancer. That way there is no room for any GP to say “I think its this” or “you are too young” etc.

My GP through was “100% convinced” (her words not mine) that I had fibroid tissue. I did, she was right but under the fibroid tissue was a grade 3 Her2+ 45mm tumour which was ultimately treated with chemo to shrink it, WLE surgery, radiotherapy and 12 months of Herceptin. Thankfully now all gone and am back on with my life.

If I had been fobbed off and sent away who knows what would have happened.

I don’t wish to frighten you but clearly you are still concerned, so GO BACK TO THE GP and refused to be bullied.

Big hugs and good luck.