Advice on micro calcification please

Hi all,
I’ve been reading some truly amazing posts on here and wonder if I can ask some advice please.
I had a routine mammogram last week and invited to a recall today.

Without an introduction nor telling me what the issue was I was whisked into another mammogram, with the radiographer offering only that there was an issue bilaterally! So I stopped her requesting she show me the original scans. She matter of factly said “you don’t need to do this if you don’t want!” Really!!!
??
Anyway after lots of painful boob squishing and an ultrasound the consultant radiologist advised I had an area of pre-DCIS?? I think this was what he said anyway as I was not only intensely embarrassed by a room full of registrars but shocked. I know this may sound so inconsequential but I found the whole process so embarrassing.
I wasn’t allowed my husband with me as told it was ladies only but I couldn’t take much in.

The consultant said I needed a core biopsy whilst having another mammogram and a potential excision of the area which is 6mm.
At that point I melted down and said no I needed to think about it for 24hours. He said to ring him tomorrow. The female radiologist showed me out to change, slammed the door behind me and said “bye then”!

I know I need to go back but it was such an awful experience. I’m a Tissue Viability nurse at the same Devon Trust, and I would never have left a patient feeling that vulnerable. I’m quite ashamed.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what pre DCIS is? Is it right it has a 50/50 chance of ever developing into BC? I’m sorry to ramble on but I really don’t wish to ever set foot in the unit again.

Thank you so much,

Sara

Hi Sara,blooming heck (or more serious expletives ) they really don’t seem to have handled your appointment very well at all ,not surprised you are fed up .Not heard of “pre DCIS” but a DCIS has a very good outcome ,completely treatable. You do need to go back and get this sorted ,but when you feel stronger you should make a complaint about the way you were treated .Jill.

Thanks Jill. I’ve calmed down a little now and I will go back. I will also be making some constructive criticism about their Radiologist bedside manner and sensitivity. Again thank you. Sara