Advice on post op bra please

I had Mx and immediate reconstruction (expander)4 weeks ago. Only when I was about to enter the operating table I was told I would need a tight “sports bra” to wear after the op.
A neighbour kindly bought me one at M&S (my size) which both the nurses at the ward and the visiting plastic team thought was OK.
I wore it despite de fact that it was killing me, digging into my flesh under the arm and at the bottom. Once at home I also tried a cheaper Primark one (easier to wear but still uncomfortable after a while) and ended up opting for a sports top I had been given not long ago and had never wore.
About two weeks ago, my BCN told me I should not wear a sports bra anymore but a padded one to protect my breasts.
At my latest appointment with the plastic team they told me I should go to M&S and request to be measured for a “post op” bra which sounds like the first one I bought.
I do not have any M&S nearby and do not want to travel a long distance, so have done nothing yet. I am also quite confused and would not like to spend in another expensive bra to wear just for a week.
I have an expander with a cord and a button to inject saline solution and anything pressing on those areas hurts a lot. Thanks God my normal breast is small because they are now completely different in shape and position. I can only wear clothes that disguise this asymmetry, like jumpers, and even so it is evident.
Any advice from someone with a similar experience would be welcome.

Hi i had the same op in march,but my surgeon wasnt keen on you wearing bras straight away,i bought cami/vest with bust support which my bcn told me to get but to cut the elastic on side of opp. I hated that lopsided look.I only started to wear a bra once they took some of the saline out and i was even sized again.and got a very soft support bra rather than a sports one even though my surgeon told me to do rather than wear a padded on,i think its to help the breast settle better.I now wear a bra in my original pre recon size with padding and underwires but i also use a bra extender which makes it a little looser,u can get them on ebay or la senza also sell them.I did find m&s very helpful they said not to get a sports bra and sold me a non wired soft support bra but i dont wear it now.I still have the filling port inbut with bra expander it definatley dosnt dig in,i do hope this was helpfull it will get easier i keep forgetting i still have the port in. Julie

HI Nikiya,
It seems we all get given different advice by the “experts”! Some say sports bras, some say none. I had bilateral mx and immed recon with expanders last year and was given no advice. I couldn’t find any bra to fit and settled on secret support vests (with bra shelf) from M&S and Primark while I waited for the second operation to fit permanent implants. I would vote for going for comfort - what ever works for you.
Best Wishes
Misha

Thanks girls! Westie, are the bra extenders (as I suppose) to enlarge the perimeter around your thorax? And Misha, in which section do you find those secret support vests?
Also, since you both had expanders: I find mine has an unnatural edge on the inside margin. They told me as they inflated it that would not be noticed but it still feels too hard compared to the rest of the expander and too high compared to my healthy breast. Does that improve once the expander is replaced by the implant?.

hi the bra expanders fit in the hook and eye of your bra so making it looser, the secret support vests are found in the bra section of m&s. Your recon will be higher up and larger while its inflated once the skin has been stretched enough and the take out some of the saline it will be softer and lower mine feels the same as my other breast now. I was under the impression that the expander stays in and they only take the tube and filling port out but i could be wrong,im quite shy so tend not to ask questions when i now i should,i do have an appointment with my surgeon on the 7th oct so will no for sure then,as he said last time he would leave port in for a couple of mths to make sure i was happy with the evenness before removing port(unless i missed hearing him) Will let you know what they do but i could be different from hospital to haspital. julie

hi ladies,
I had bilateral mastectomy and immediate reconstructions (silicon implants) on 7 May. I have had a terrible job finding a bra! The only advice I was given was that I shouldn’t wear an underwired bra. I started off with Tescos own sports bras, which were ok when the swelling was really bad, but they rubbed against the healing scars.

My mum discovered a sloggi crop top style bra, which has no hooks and is completly stretchy and goes over the head. It was tricky to get on and off, but once on was comfortable. Matalan also do a similar bra (for £4!!) and I find this better as it doesn’t irritate the scars. I wear these all the time at the moment, even to sleep in. Most of the big stores seem to now do post-op bras, but having tried one or two I found they are not suitable, as I need something completly stretchy to go over the implants, as they are immovable objects and it is a bit like putting a bra on a mannequin!!

Someone said that Asda do a nice post-op bra, but I haven’t tried it myself. I can recommend the matalan bras though (they are usually with the sloggi stuff in the store)if you don’t mind struggling in and out of the thing! Hope this helps a little.

Hi everyone

I had immediate reconstruction on left hand side and was told it needed support straight away to help ‘keep the shape’ initially of the recon. I managed to get hold of a wonderful bra made by Royce (you can find it on internet if you look up ‘royce post op bras’. Warning, it’s not cheap (£28) BUT I’ve literally worn it to death from early May, day and night (washing it every day!!!) and it’s still perfect! It’s front fastening (poppers) so when they are examining you every day at hospital, you don’t have to struggle on & off with it. There are also no seams so no rubbing, and the bra contains silver which apparently helps to stop infection. I’ve also got a couple of ‘Vanity Fair’ posture front fastening bras and use expanders (wonderful inventions!) so that I can still use the bras once recon has shrunk a little!). I’ve tried the ASDA post op bra but it has a seam (no good for me as it crossed over the scar but the bras are good value for money if you can wear them (£6). It’s quite an individual thing so good luck!!

For me, it’s front fastening all the way - bliss!! Lots of love x

My surgeon didn’t like her patients to wear a bra for about 2 or 3 weeks. Then she supplied me with ones made in Canada. They were like a sports bra but with velcro on the front so there was less pressure on the breasts. They are also very adjustable. She imports them herself and i think they are available on her website. Just google Elaine Sassoon.
Kelley