Advice, please :( feeling anxious!

Hi, I’m new here but wanted some advice if possible. Basically, more recently I’ve begun to notice pain down the side of my left breast, but usually only after I’ve been exercising (and I thought it was just to do with not quite wearing the right bra) - it’s not vigorous exercise, just brisk walking.

But I noticed tonight that the left side of my breast, directly down from my left armpit, feels quite hard, but it’s not a prominent lump or anything. I am due to start my period in the next few days or so, so could be that, but it is only my left side & with breast cancer in my mum’s side of the family (my grandmother died of it), I’m feeling really quite anxious about it. I’m a worrier by nature so I’m afraid I might just be overthinking this & making a mountain out of a molehill but equally, I don’t know if I should just ignore it either. I’m only 23, and the pain in my breast certainly isn’t constant, nor is the hardness for all I can tell, and it’s not a prominent proper lump like I’ve seen others mentioned - has anyone else had an experience like this or might be able to shed some light for me?

Thanks,

Katy x

Hi Katy

I doesnt matter what sort of lump or hardness you have found, it does need investigating.  Go to you doctor and get it checked out.  its bound to be nothing to worry about at your age, but nevertheless, you do need to get it looked at.  You will worry much more not knowing than knowing.  Please make an appointment today to put your mind at rest.  Take Care Val xxx

Hi Katy
Welcome to the BCC forums, along with the support here please feel free to call our helpliners to talk your concerns over, lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturdays on 0808 800 6000

I am posting a link to the BCC breast awareness information which you may find helpful:

breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/breast-awareness

Take care
Lucy BCC