cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice please=returning to work after treatment

5 REPLIES 5
Witchypoo

Re: Advice please=returning to work after treatment

Hi there - I had 8 cycles of chemo, mx, 4 weeks of radiotherapy and have 3 more Herceptins to go.  I managed to work on my good weeks during chemo (have to be honest and say I didn't earn my money though!!!), but obviously was off after my operation and during r/therapy. My r/therapy finished on Friday  March 1 and I went back into work full time on Monday 4 March - but it was very tiring and I amost wish now that I'd taken more time off.  Have to say my employers have been fantastic but that's probably because, although I work for a local authority, I'm based in a very small department which more or less manages itself.  Whenever you decide to go back, just try to take it a bit easy at first - good luck x

JCJ

January seems like a realistic goal. Remember rads fatigue hits people in different ways, and it gets worse for up to two weeks after the last zapping. I didn't need herceptin, or have chemo, and I was glad I waited 3 weeks after rads (doctor advised 4!) before starting a gradual phased return (Tues & Thurs for 2 weeks, Mon, Wed, Fri for 2 weeks, Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri for 2 weeks, full time last week). I work in a school and timed the phased return so that my first full week was the last week before the summer holidays. I was glad it worked put that way. It was so tiring, physically and emotionally at first!

Take it steady. If you rush back too soon you won't be doing anyone any favours - you could end up being off ill again! I think it's a good idea to see how you cope with herceptin too.

SamLee

Sounds like a plan - New Year and all that.

Mac123

Hi Sam

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm thinking I'll probably go back after Christmas, perhaps beginning of January. That way I will have had 2 months to get over radiotherapy and possibly have had a couple of doses of Herceptin so will have an idea of how things will be. Hope all is ok with you now, take care Lynne x

SamLee

Your dx sounds very much like mine did 3 years ago, hence my reply.  I had 4 months of chemo, followed by WLE and SNB which was clear, then 4 weeks of radio and 12 month of Herceptin.  I finished radio in June 2011 and was by then having Herceptin every 3 weeks. 

I wasn't able to return to work on a phased return, had to return full time, so I had to be fit enough to travel to work (2 hour commute to London each way) and then a full day in the office.

I went back to work on 22 Aug 2011 and yes, at first it was very tiring, especially as every 3 weeks I had to go to the hospital for my Herceptin, but I managed it.  By Friday I was completely shattered and nothing much got done over the week-end, but it was more than manageable.

Now coming up to 3 years on from dx I am back to how I was before and still working full time.

Would I go back so quick again - I am not sure - I think I rushed back as soon as I felt able because I wanted to prove that I was the same as before, I had no pressure to go back, but I think in hindsight I wouldn't be so quick to jump back in.

Hope this helps you.

Sam

Mac123

Advice please=returning to work after treatment

Morning everyone

I was dx 25th Feb this year, had WLE and SNB, no node involvemnet but ER positive and HER2 positive. I finished chemo 4 weeks ago and start 4 weeks radiotherapy next Tues-24th Sept. Im also due to start Herceptin following a heart scan tomorrow.

I am a Palliative Care Nurse and was initially hoping to go back to work on a phased return to work programme in Nov. However, I now know this was very optimistic as my radiotherapy wont finish til the end of Oct. I wondered when anyone else went back to work after treatment? My manager is teriffic and is not rushing me at all.

Thanks everyone x