cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice please?

4 REPLIES 4
Susanne_A

Re: Advice please?

I just found a thing from Salisbury hospital that said it can take 6-8 weeks for the swelling to go down, so I suppose I just need to be a bit more patient. I rang the helpline on here, and they said to wear a bra all the time, to rest with my arm raised, and not to do too much. I also realised that my seat-belt is rubbing it a bit, so I've started using a blow-up cushion thing to hold it away. Hopefully that will help improve the situation!

sandra44

My boob post op was considerably bigger than my "normal" one,and was for the next 2 weeks but I did feel very sore and heavy and when I got my stitches out day 10 the next day it exploded....... was told it wasn't uncommon ,wasn't infected,just a build up of fluid, has gone back to normal now and not much diff between my 2 boobs fortunately. If your nurse checked it and its not hot or sore am sure it will be ok ,just taking time to settle down.

Susanne_A

My boob is still swelling - more than four weeks post op. It's almost double it's normal size! I saw the nurse on Wednesday, and she said it was OK, but how long is this going to carry on - and how much bigger is the darned thing going to get? And am I going to be left with horrid stretched wrinkly skin when it finally does go down? Anyone got any ideas what I can do to minimise this?

Susanne_A

Hi Liz - isn't it horrible, this paranoia about everything? I hate it - I used to be quite sensible about my health, but now every little thing terrifies me!

You're doing better than me if you can even consider lifting your arm above your head. I had my op on 24th February and I am still finding it difficult to lift my arm above shoulder height, especially out to the side - can get a little more lift forwards. There's some useful advice on here about massage and stuff I might try.

My scars are healing nicely, but the underarm area still feels sore and battered, and my breast is still quite swollen and bruised - not just around the scar, but around the nipple (which looks decidedly odd!) and on the opposite side from the incision. I saw the BCN last week and she said it was OK, and I see the surgeon next Wednesday, so I'm trying not to worry about it.

LizB

Advice please?

Seroma?
I had a Wide local excision, lymph node clearance on February 27th with the drain being removed a week later. Everything is healing quite well but I have developed a circular patch of very pale skin with something under it diagonally opposite the incision, almost under the breast. - it's not a lump!
(Its my right breast and if the incision is in the top right quarter this other thing is in the bottom left - if that makes sense?)
It develops through the day but disappears overnight - very strange.
I'm also suffering a lot of discomfort in the muscles of my upper arm - is this normal. I can barely lift my arm above my head without pain. I am doing my exercises but they are very painful. Am I expecting too much too soon?
I'm awaiting a phone call from the breast care team at my local hospital but if sombody else has experienced this I'd be grateful for a response.
Thanks.