Advice please.

I had a lumpectomy and sentinal node biopsy on 5th October. I got my results on 13th and whilst the prognosis is very positive, I’ll need chemo and Herceptin.

The thought of chemo is terrifying to me, but the news is still fairly new and hasn’t properly sunk in yet.

Has anyone got ANY advice at all for me about treatment, wigs, sickness - anything you may have found helpful yourself would be extrmemely welcome.

Many thanks

Tracy

Hi Tracy

Try to take it one step at a time. Your team will talk you through the side effects of chemo ( though remember not everyone gets them) and what you need to do to prepare. The hospital will probably sort out your wig, with a appointment or voucher system.

There are lots of chemo threads on here, with a wealth of advice. My doctor advised me to eat healthily and get lots of rest in the run up to chemo to help my immune system.

There is a thread called top tips to get you through chemotherapy which you may find useful.

Please post any questions

Good luck . Dx

Hi Tracy

I agree with what Midge says. The thread on here about chemo is very useful. I had no side effects from my first chemo (known as FEC)but the second one, Taxotere, floored me. However, I went for lunch with a gang of bc girls from my hosp and one girl breezed thru the tax.

Losing your hair is a bummer, but some girls find the cold cap works quite well. I got my wig before treatment started and didn’t wear it much in the end. The good thing about chemo during the winter is that no one thinks you are odd wearing hats!

Everyone is different with this treatment but it is doable. I’m 7 months post chemo and now on the road to recovery, so it can be done.

Take care

Julia xx

Hi,

Here is the web-link for the thread ‘top tips to get you through chemotherapy’ that Midge has mentioned.

breastcancercare.org.uk/forum/top-tips-to-help-get-you-through-chemotherapy-t19110.html

I hope you find it helpful.

Best wishes Sam, Facilitator

Thank you so much everyone for your advice and reassurance.

I’ve got my first hospital appointment this afternoon so I’ll find out properly when treatment starts.

I’m trying to take things one step at a time and to stop panicking!

Tracy

Hi Tracey
I’ve just finished six courses of FECT and I’m still standing! The first one is the worst as you don’t know how it will effect you and will be unprepared. After that its not so bad, you’ll have lots of support from your chemo nurses - who are wonderful.
If you have any side effects look on the forum, someone else has always been there before you & will have the answer!
Having chemo dosn’t mean that your life stops - I designed and built a show garden at Hampton Court Flower Show during mine & won a bronze medal.
Good luck!

nc xx

Thank you Nat. Your post cheered me up - I’d got it into my head that I was going to get ALL the side effects and feel really crap!

I’m a bit calmer now - it all happens so quickly doesn’t it?

My chemo was supposed to start tomorrow, but on ringing up for the time of my appointment, I was informed that that particular clinic had been reduced and I was due to start the week after. I was a bit upset - my life has been revolving around starting the treatment and I was very disappointed.

However, I’ve got extra time to find a wig (proving much more difficult than I thought) and I’m trying to do all the things that I may not be able to do next week - like eating out alot and drinking wine!

I’m so pleased to have found this website. This forum has made me feel so much better.

Tracy

Hi tracey

good luck with the chemo. I finished 6 cycles in august. There are a number of foods you arent supposed to eat when on chemo, just in case they give you food poisoning i think, as your immune system can be so low. So whilst you are knocking back the wine, consider scoffing down prawns, takeaways, runny eggs, pate, soft cheese etc. (Sorry to any diet proponents reading this!, and if you like your cups of tea/coffeee, they can taste wrong after chemo too so have lots of them in this bonus week!). Plus, a trip to the dentist as you cany have tratment when you are on chemo .

Have a look at the good days even on chemo thread to see what people manage to do despite being mid treatment. It will give you hope…!

Vickie
xxx

Thank you Tors

I love all the food you mentioned including tea and coffee.

I did go to the dentist last week as well.

How do I find the thread you mentioned about good days on chemo? I’m not very good at finding my way around just yet.

xxx

Hi Tracey

it’s in the section treatment and side effects, sub heading under going treatment - chemotherapy. I’ll find it and bump it or you,
Positive vibes for first chemo and remeber you don’t have to suffer se’s, ring your chemo unit or bcn and get help if you need it,
Ali.
x

Hi Tracy
Good luck for your first session next week - let us know how it goes?!
Hope you’ve been able to find a good wig - my one, Adolfo, has been fantastic though now my hair is starting to grow back (& the weather is colder) I’m switching to beanie hats.
Be thinking of you

nc xx