Advice re: Daughter

Hi Ladies, hoping for some advice in regards to my daughter. She is 22yrs old and lives with her partner and unbeknown to me, she found a lump in her left breast,near to her armpit a month ago.(She says she didn’t want to worry me).Her GP told her to return if it didn’t go away and it didn’t,so she saw both the doctor and practice nurse this Monday who confirmed she had a fixed lump measuring around 1cm. She was immediately referred to the Breast Clinic and has a screening next Monday. I’m at my wits end,especially as it’s been 4 and a half years of going through BC myself and don’t know what to do or say for the best. I am going with her on Monday,but as she is young and only small chested,will a mammogram be sufficient enough to detect anything? Can I ask them to do other tests as well as a mammogram? Any advice would be greatly appreciated xxx

Hi Hotmomma,
Sorry to hear about your daughters lump - as I’m sure you are aware they are many harmless lumps and I really hope that how things go.
When I was referred for a lump earlier this year I received a leaflet with the invite which said they carry out mammogram, scan and fine needle aspiration or core needle biopsy. The scan is just one of those hand held scanners connected to a TV screen. If the doc who does the scan thinks it a good idea to carry out further checks they do a needle biopsy - they give you a local anaesthetic so it’s not too painful to have done.
From seeing a few other posts on this website it looks like some places just do a scan or mamo first.
Hope it’s a harmless lump.