Advise please re TAC chemo

Could anyone offer any advice please? My mum had Idc 3cm grade 2 with 3/23 positive nodes and ER+. Advised by onc to have 6 x TAC chemo as a best option or 6 x FEC as an alternative. Mum has sort of agreed to try TAC and revert to FEC if she can’t handle the stronger chemo. Due to start soon but she’s very very frightened of it all and is also thinks she should opt for FEC from the outset. She’s 67 with high blood pressure but no other major health issues but she just doesn’t think her body can handle TAC. Are there any older ladies out there who could offer advice please? Could anyone tell me their experience of TAC - I’ve read all the possible SE but wondered how difficult people have found it. Thank you very very much to anyone who can help.

Hi there

I’ve no experience of TAC but have had 4 x FEC and then 4 x taxotere. I am considerably younger than your mum (was 45 when I had chemo)but physically quite weak too as I’d recently become very ill with endometriosis and undergone a hysterectomy and bowel resection. What got me through was thinking that it was time limited and potentially life saving.

Your mother is understandably afraid and needs to be very clear in her mind the advantages of going for one type of treatment over another. The thing is that no-one can predict exactly what side effects your mother will actually have and how severe they will be. Some women are almost bedridden with chemo and others manage to go to work all the way through.

The other thing to remember is that she will have blood checks done before each chemo which will check things like kidney and liver function, red and white cell count. I’m sure you could also ask how the chemo might affect her blood pressure and whether that could be monitored.
If any treatment was making her too unwell they may reduce the dose or change her treatment.

If you have more questions then you can ask to speak to the Oncologist again by ringing his/her secretary.

Hopefully you’ll hear from some other women of a similar age to your mum.
take care, Elinda

Hi Ennazui

Sorry to hear about your mums diagnosis.

I finished 6 x TAC 7 weeks ago this week. I am 40 with two children, 13 and 10.

I will be honest with you I did find TAC hard towards the end especially with two children to look after. After the first 3 cycles I was out of sorts for about a week. I was very tired and couldn’t really function properly (a bit like a really bad hangover or having a virus where you feel very rough), I didn’t drive during the first week after each chemo as I wasn’t right with it. I never felt sick (had a really good anti sickness drug called emend which I think they have to give with TAC). I had really bad aching in my legs after chemo 1, to the point where I couldn’t sleep. For chemo 2 and 3 I took strong painkillers and the aching was better. I did have about 7-10 good days between chemos 1 to 3. By chemo 4, 5 and 6 the main thing for me was tiredness and getting out of breath, just walking up the stairs tired me out and it took longer after each chemo for this to return. Although I was tired towards the end I was still able to go shopping etc, I wasn’t totally housebound, I just had to take it easy, like do something one day and rest the next.

Having said that I am now 7 weeks post last chemo and although I am not 100% I have lots more energy and no longer get out of breath unless walking up a steep hill.

Everyone experiences different side effects and your mum may be okay. I found that you must rest when your body tells you to, as I am on long term sick at the mo I just went back to bed and got as much rest as possible whilst the kids were at school and this really helped.

TAC is a stronger chemo but has had some fantastic results over the years and I feel that I wanted to give it everything and if it means spending a few months resting in bed and feeling really grotty I think it is a small price to pay if it gives you the rest of your life.

Chemo seems a blur now and I can’t beleive how quick it has gone, once you get started it does fly by.

If your mum is concerned about her blood pressure I am sure they will check it regularly when they check her blood. I don’t think there is any harm in your mum giving TAC a go, like you say, she can revert to the other regime. Some people have to do this anyway if they are allergic to one chemo drug.

Wishing you and your mum all the best. Amanda xx

hi there,
sorry to hear about your mum, although it is a worrying time for you all you will get lots of support on here.
i had 6 x TAC, finished it in feb this year so it seems ages ago now. i am 46.
one of my worst side effects was constipation, make sure your mum drinks plenty and ups her fruit intake. for the first week i felt sluggish, achey, bit like flu symptoms, but then was back to normal.
some people get sick but i was lucky, felt it, but nothing actualy came of it. my sleep was also affected, so my advise would be to sleep and rest whenever you can, your body will let you know what it needs. TAC like all chemo’s is never going to nice, but it is certainly doable, and i agree that i felt more drained towards the end of treatment. good luck for the future.

Ladies - thank you for your help - you’ve made it sound much less frightening. xxxxx