Advise

Hi I only got diagnosed last friday with a grade 1 and a grade 2 in the right breast, but I have my mastectomy next Friday. Can anyone give me any advise on whether I should have the retainer bags put in whilst I’m having my mastectomy or just go for the mastectomy and worry about the reconstruction after chemo etc.
Michelle

I’ve said retainer bags but I think they are temporary implants?

Michelle I have just had mx with tissue expander implants. It took me a while to decide. I’m really pleased with the result, so far. My op was on Thursday and I came home yesterday with one drain in. One advantage for me is that they have preserved the nipple. If you need any more info let me know x

That’s really positive, thank you as the consultant was advising to just have the mastectomy and worry about the rest later as it may delay my chemo, but having looked into it, it looks to have a much better result and only being in my 30’s I’m not sure I will cope with having loose skin around the mastectomy when they try to save some skin. It seems to look nicer with just something in there, I think I’ll be able to deal with it better. The consultant also said id have to stay in hospital for longer as well and having 2 young children i didnt want to do this, but it seems you got out really quickly, which is great news.
I hope all goes well for you and thank you for the advise.
Michelle