cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After Capecitabine

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted

Re: After Capecitabine

Thank you Bev xx we are all a bunch of amazing ladies on here living with this disease .
Huge hugs,Helen xxxxxxxx
Highlighted

Helen... you can still retain your sense of humour despite what you've been through You're amazing!
Homer Simpson indeed hahaha!
I am lucky to be under such a good team and only hope you'll get the same in future.
Love bev xxx
Highlighted

Hi,Bev,wow,what a fantastic hospital & BCN .I'm so glad she's put your mind at rest and you are in safe hands. Good to hear about other chemo too.
My MDT meeting are held with Homer Simpson,the carry on gang and Basil Fawlty.they talk about what's for tea,what's on TV and Duff beer lol.
Glad you're sorted huge hugs,Helen xxxxxx
Highlighted

I rang my bc nurse as the breathlessness def seems to have subsided since weekend. As I have a clinic appt with onc on wed I asked her was it worth getting xray done. I told her I'd like someone to just listen to my chest though on wed. She was great and said she'd put it on my notes now and if onc felt the need to xray I could have it done then. But she put my mind at rest and answered all my other questions too.
About other oral chemo. .she said there are lots and more on the horizon.
About my markers...she said they were 83 at the start and the same after 1st cycle. Not worried about them as she says they dont always give an accurate picture.
I also asked about the mdt meetings and who attends to discuss my situation. She said they have around 6 oncologists at the weekly meetings including a top Onc from another hospital. Management of treatment is discussed in detail including future treatment.

Helen...this is what should be happening at your hospital!
We also have a 24/7 chemo line that we are told to ring anytime of day or night with any concerns.
No wonder I feel safe there.

Heres hoping you start getting the treatment you deserve Helen....god knows you deserve it love.
Sending big hugs
Bev xxxxxx
Highlighted

Good luck Bev let us all know how you get on.
Huge hugs,Helen xxxx
Highlighted

Thanks ladies. Yes nicky and helen...I am always looking at the future and what treatments would be out there for me...can't help wondering and worrying I suppose. Its comforting to know though that more tablet based chemos are in the pipeline. Its funny when you read positive things like this you just want to do a happy little dance lol!
On a positive note I've been reading about David Hamilton and reading extracts from his books about the mind healing the body.
His theories are extraordinary and well worth a read.
He has a Phd in pharmacy and became fascinated by the placebo effect on healing.
Google him if you gave a minute and watch him explaining it on youtube. Very interesting.

Have a happy Monday. ..I'm off to be xrayed later to see if there's anything causing my breathlessness, although it doesnt seem to be as bad since the weekend.
Love to all
Bev xxxxxxx
Highlighted

Highlighted

Hi Bev

I do not know about all the different chemos. I have only had docetaxol which is quite a hard one I think but I was ok for most of the time. The nurses said that chemos are much better tolerated now than they were a few years ago so IV may not be as bad as you remembered. But as Nicky said you may be on cap for years to come and by then its possible that more tablet form chemos will have been developed. The chemo nurse said to me last time I saw her that the future was going to be very much more tablet based. So I would not think about Cap not working - hopefully any chnge of treatment will be years away for you. With love xxx

Highlighted

Hi,Bev,as the lovely ladies have said some can stay on xeloda for many years. Don't write it off yet. But I know your like me and want to know what's next when chemo only option. I've never had any chemos so it's all new to me and terrifying . But the lovely ladies on here are always here for help.
Stay strong Bev and huge hugs,Helen xxxxxxxxxx
Highlighted
Community Champion

Hi Bev
As Belinda has said there is another oral chemo but I hope that Capecitabine works for many years for you. Often a particular oncologist might have seen it being effective for only a certain length of time but the experiences on here are from loads of secondary ladies and it definitely can work for far longer than some oncologists know or think. I told my oncologist about our Xeloda Queen, who sadly passed away some months back, and she had been on it 9 years. My onc was astounded and had never come across anyone being on it that long so it just goes to show. Also if you do have to have IV chemo at some point it will be a different one to the one you had 9 years ago and hopefully you wouldn't react in the same way. But don't think about that yet, you sound like me, always wanting to know what's next 😉
Nicky x

Highlighted

Thank you Jo x
Highlighted

Hi Bev

If you would like to give the helpline here a ring they can explain to you the different chemo regimes that are taken in tablet form rather than IV.  0808 800 6000

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Highlighted

Thanks belinda...am a bit worried because onc says it will probably only be chemo for me. Xxxx
Highlighted

Haven't had it Bev but Vinorelbine can be given in tablet form. I've had one IV chemo, Doxorubicin, and although it gave me problems afterwards I actually found it very doable while I was having it, no sickness, not much tiredness.
Highlighted

After Capecitabine

Evening ladies. Can anyone tell me if there are any other oral chemos out there apart from Cape? Just wondered what would be the next treatment if Cape stops working? I know I'm probably being a bit premature as I'm only just due to start my 3rd cycle and don't have my 1st scan till 27th but dreading the thought of iv chemo.
Didnt tolerate it well 9 yrs ago. Had a picc line and spent days in bed after it.
Love and hugs...Bev xxx